Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

emergency 12 volt back up water system up and running

3K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  Rickity Plumber 
#1 · (Edited)
I finally got my back up water system up and running like I wanted it.
It runs off my solar system. That hose you see running up the first tank is clear hose (sight glass)

I'm running two surflo RV water pumps.,, I ended up only running one at a time it's all I need having two
really doesn't help that much. Other than quicker recovery
When I turn on the rain water valve it comes out the green hose until I turn the valve for the tank
to receive the water that way I can take a sample of what I'm getting before it goes in my tank.
To make sure the nasties are all washed off the roof.

The water goes into the first tank then through the filters and into the second tank then through the
pump and into the house. If you look real close you can see a drain valve on the bottom of the first
tank. I figure that if I get any sediment or anything nasty in the bottom of the first tank
I can flush it out there. It's 3/4" big enough for that
If you look you can see a switch and a small green light. The light comes on when the system is "ON"
I'm going to install a small light upstairs that comes on when the pump is running. Just to help
keep an eye on things

I have few different ways I can fill it I can use my truck and tote and fill it with city water
I installed an out side filling tube or I can fill it from the well I have now

I have spring that I can fill it from or as a last resort I can catch rain water

Next I would like to install a propane tank less water heater
I'm thinking that when the grid goes down having running water hot and cold and electricity for
lights and radio that it would be a big convenience. I have a another battery pack and 4 245 watt
solar panels to install then I should be able to have refrigeration also

I'm working on an under the sink super filter for drinking water if I start to use rain water

See less See more
#6 ·
Awesome set up. Good work.

#7 ·
It is always good to be prepared. I have a similar deal.

I would have liked to see those connections and especially those pvc ball valves be something other than plastic. PVC balls valves get tougher to use with age and put severe undue stress on the surrounding fittings when trying to turn off and on.

I also would feel better to have brass ball valves immediately out of the tanks. You have pvc ball valves but what if you develop a leak in your clear plastic hoses?

You have the right idea for sure but a suggestion from a forty year Master Plumber, your mechanics should not depend on a .99 cent plastic fitting.

#8 ·
It is always good to be prepared. I have a similar deal.

I would have liked to see those connections and especially those pvc ball valves be something other than plastic. PVC balls valves get tougher to use with age and put severe undue stress on the surrounding fittings when trying to turn off and on.

I also would feel better to have brass ball valves immediately out of the tanks. You have pvc ball valves but what if you develop a leak in your clear plastic hoses?

You have the right idea for sure but a suggestion from a forty year Master Plumber, your mechanics should not depend on a .99 cent plastic fitting.
Excellent advice, and I'm sure he'll consider it... but you do have to take his screen name into account. :mrgreen:
He's one of the more innovative members we have, due to his frugality.

#14 ·
Have you considered going with a gravity feed system where you rtank is on top of the house. You could rig a 12v pump that hangs by the side of the house where you park, and every time you come home you pump water up to the tank, and let gravity be your water pressure. Paint it black too so it soaks up heat.

Or I may have just been babbling.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.