DIY Activating Carbon - Page 3
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DIY Activating Carbon

This is a discussion on DIY Activating Carbon within the DIY forums, part of the General Discussion category; Whatever...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: DIY Activating Carbon

Mod Squad

Whatever

Success Is going from failure to failure without losing your enthusiasm - anonymous

Banned

if i think back to how to make 'char cloth' out of cotton,

- you put the cotton in a small tin that has a small hole in the lid,
    - place the tin over a flame or fire until a smoke starts to come out of the the hole
    - when the smoke stops coming out of the hole, remove the tin from the fire.
    - What is left in the tin, is 'char cloth'

Question: if I wanted to make char from wood, wouldn't I do something like place wood shavings into a tin, then repeat the same process?

Next Question: If so, soaking the shavings in calcium cloride prior to placing it in the tin, makes it 'activated'?

Is it this simple or have I missed something?

Banned

what are my purchasing options? ie activated carbon from fish tanks? Brita filters?

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Mod Squad

Here's an excellent article about making activated charcoal. This site also sells bulk activated charcoal.

How to Make Activated Charcoal at Home

Success Is going from failure to failure without losing your enthusiasm - anonymous

Banned

I've seen that before, they obviously don't want anyone making their own.

I believe that it is not that they don't want you to make your own - just that it is a very expensive and potentially lethal undertaking.

Phospheric acid is a fairly safe chemical at normal temperatures but if you mix it with carbon compounds under the extreme temperatures requires to activate the carbon you risk making some very nasty compounds that can easily kill you. Germany in the first world war used the waste from their activated charcoal production (for gas masks) to make phosgene gas, mustard gas and others. In the recent past such waste products have been used to make nerve agents and binary chemical agents for war.

For most "non-industrial" uses standard charcoal from wood can be used once it is boiled in water under 15 PSI pressure for 30 minutes and then dried at 300 degrees. This powder is not activated charcoal but it is an extremely effective water filter and in large enough quantities can be used to filter most airborne agents.

There are common chemicals that can defeat most particulate filters and some more complex chemicals that can be made at home (Warning: lethality at 1 ppm) . I have used such a chemical to rid a home of roaches with 100% eradication in a three day exposure - although the home remained vacant for a week to allow the compound to degrade naturally roaches never returned up to 10 years later. The compound is accepted by living things as a sugar - so it even affects plants - and metabilizes into toxins within the organism. It can be absorbed through the skin and mucous membranes as well as ingested through the lungs and digestive systems.

Chlorine and Ammonia are also very dangerous chemicals that can easikly be made and in an enclosed area can replace the oxygen in the local atmosphere which will make any mask ineffectual unless it is supplimented with an enclosed oxygen supply.

Among the natural rights of the colonists are these: First a right to life, secondly to liberty, and thirdly to property; together with the right to defend them in the best manner they can.
    Samuel Adams

Banned

Yes, I agree that they discuss some pretty dangerous chemicals, but calcium chloride , as the OP mentioned, is a possible chemical. And, it doesn't appear in that article.

When I looked up the uses for Calcium Chloride, wiki included it as a sodium substitute for making dill pickles. Doesn't this sound like a pretty safe chemical if it is already in our dill pickles?

Yes, under normal temperatures and in low concentrations it is fine. What happens when you heat it in high concentrations with carbon? I do know that it is a corrosive chemical used as an antifreeze in heavy equipment tires. They use it as a preservative (in very small amounts) in food that is acidic because it is caustic (like lye) and the acid reduces that action.

It might be interesting to note that our bodies contain small amounts of arsenic, copper, lead and other chemicals that in even "moderate" doses can lead to health problems and even death. Whithout a chemistry background it would be dificult to say what concerns you might have when mixing known compounds under heat, pressure or any extraordinary conditions.

Among the natural rights of the colonists are these: First a right to life, secondly to liberty, and thirdly to property; together with the right to defend them in the best manner they can.
    Samuel Adams

Banned

You raise a good point about the heating of chemicals. Most substances might convert into carcinogens, no? Do I need to be fussy about wood choice?

Mod Squad

I think this is a great thread, thanks to the OP!

I will probably never make or activate charcoal, but it's good to know how, just in case.

Here's an interesting article about how they made charcoal in the old days by Prof. Gerald Eggert of the Penn State College of Engineering...

How To Make Charcoal
    tinkerhell likes this.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Sponsored Links