3m Window Films - Page 2
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

3m Window Films

This is a discussion on 3m Window Films within the DIY forums, part of the General Discussion category; Yeah, and he wasn't kicking all that hard either. It doesn't turn your windows into bulletproof glass. If you live in a hurricane or tornado ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: 3m Window Films

Mod Squad

Yeah, and he wasn't kicking all that hard either. It doesn't turn your windows into bulletproof glass.

If you live in a hurricane or tornado area, it would limit the damage. If you live in a high crime area, it might be worth doing. If you were home and somebody tried to break in, it would give you more time to arm yourself or evacuate. If you aren't home, anyone with a brick and a knife can get through it. It's up to each person to decide if it's worth the money to them... in their particular application.

Funny video of a store protected with this stuff. Notice they don't leave empty-handed!

Success Is going from failure to failure without losing your enthusiasm - anonymous

Great Article! Not sure it would apply to most homes though. We did an experiment with the stuff on regular/everyday home windows a couple of years ago to judge its effectiveness. It held the glass together well(would be great for storm debris and insulation factors), however it didn't slow down a grown man with a hammer or heavy object trying to bust it with any significant delay. If you are looking at this for protection from burglary/looters or overall security you would have to spend the money on thick tempered glass as paraquack pointed out. Could get pricey, which is why it wouldn't apply to most of us. Wish we had recorded the experiments but didn't think of it at the time. it is certainly better than nothing just know what your getting. @SDF880 did you guys do any experiments on your windows? Hope this helps. thanks again.
    Prepadoodle likes this.

Mod Squad

Sheepdog, did you attach it properly to the frame?

I don't see how the glass thickness or type makes much difference. If someone is thumping on it, the glass breaks. Once it does, it's no longer contributing to the strength of the system. If the film isn't attached to the frame right, the whole thing is just going to pop out. In this case, the film might make it easier to clean up, but that's not the point, is it?

Notice in the 3rd video that there isn't any glass at all after the first rock hit. It's the film itself that stops them. Obviously, they installed it correctly and it's attached to the frame. Still, it's a plastic film and easy to get through with any knife. I still think that, properly installed on any half decent aluminum frame window, it would at the very least buy you a little time.

This stuff isn't cheap, but if your insurance company will really give a hefty discount for having it, it would eventually pay for itself and from there on it's gravy. I have no idea what the ROI would be though.

Success Is going from failure to failure without losing your enthusiasm - anonymous

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Yeah, its been a few years since this stuff first came out. What we found was the regular home window (lowes/home depot) simply didn't have enough support around the frames where the glass is secured. it took only one or two hammer strikes for the glass to come out of the frame with the film still attached. it held the glass together well enough and we did not attempt to climb through them as an intruder/looter would, we were not looking at it in that light. If memory serves me correctly it most certainly would slow someone down as they would have to peel out the window or use several more blows to disengage the frame enough for an opening, maybe a little less if you were using something with an edge like a hatchet or the like. I didn't mean to imply they do not have several advantages, I just didn't want anyone to think that what you saw on that video was accurate to home windows or your own sliding glass door, thinking you could stand behind it and flip off the intruder because the glass would stop them... if you can afford it I would put it at least on your most vulnerable windows...
    Prepadoodle likes this.

I didn't test any of my windows just a window in a frame that was not in use in the house. The 3M rep applied the same film I purchased then
    had me hammer the window which broke as I expected it to but the film held everything in place until the 6th or 7th hit. As for the windows on the house
    on the bottom floor windows I had the installers put the additional lining around the edge of the existing frame so the glass could not be 'popped out"
    All I am trying to do is slow a break-in down maybe to the point where the noise would draw attention from a neighbor if I am not home. If I am home I have motion detectors
    around the house so I know you are there and by the sound chimes I have set up I know what quadrant you in.
    Prepadoodle likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsored Links