Alcohol stoves
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alcohol stoves

This is a discussion on Alcohol stoves within the DIY forums, part of the General Discussion category; Does anyone use a alcohol stove? I have a homemade Cat-can stove i made, that goes into my GHB. I see it as a great ...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Alcohol stoves

Alcohol stoves

Does anyone use a alcohol stove? I have a homemade Cat-can stove i made, that goes into my GHB. I see it as a great option for fast and easy cooking, but only lasts until the alcohol is gone. Thoughts?

I took a small can of cat food, emptied it out and drilled 8 vents around the top edge. It fits snug down into a Cambells soup can. 8 holes around the bottom of the Cambells can and 8 arond the top. It works great!

I have been using HEET, a gas line antifreeze. Is there a better option? I heard that Everclear works decent but puts off alot of soot, but i like the redundency that the Everclear offers. Could be used as fuel for the stove, for sanatizing, and ofcourse too drink :grin:

Thanks BC1
    sideKahr and Arklatex like this.
    NOT ALL CONSPIRACIES ARE THEORIES! Hidden Content

If you see a Liberal today, remind them just how much of a moron they are!!

Liberals = Weapons of Mass Destruction

When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators.

I have two types. I made the first one out of a cat food can (nasty stuff, lol) and it works very well.

Then I bought a pre-made one from a local outdoors outfitter. I kid you not, the cat food can one gets hotter and boils water much faster.

I use denatured alcohol as it's fairly inexpensive. Does the trick.

I've never used an alcohol stove, but it looks like an interesting project and I will probably build one. I've seen some of the youtube videos, it doesn't seem hard to do.

At present, my GHB contains wax stoves.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

They are fun to build and only cost a few dollars. Can be made from soda cans too. It's a good afternoon project when you are sitting around with nothing to do and you have already inventoried your beans and bullets for the third time that day, haha.

I use the 91% rubbing alcohol.

I've got a couple alcohol stoves that I made from soda cans. The bigger of the two (made from the bottoms of two extra large energy drink cans) burns very hot for about 20 minutes. It boils water almost as fast as my jetboil, but is far lighter/more versatile. I keep them in our bugout bags, along with a bottle of everclear (I use everclear as fuel because it works well, and has other *ahem* "medicinal" uses as well).

Those stainless water bottles work pretty good too.

Too many trees here to carry a non-wood fuel stove. Got too much weight in my bag as it is. I keep a few fuel tablets just in case I'm on the move are in wet weather and don't have time to hunt for dry wood. But my thoughts are if I have time to cook food then I have time to find wood.
    Big Country1 and Arklatex like this.

I can see how an alcohol stove could have advantages over a wood fire. A wood fire is noisy and it smokes; gathering wood requires a lot of movement, important if you want to escape detection. Alcohol burns clean and quiet, and can probably even be used indoors if you don't overdo it.
    Big Country1 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 3percent View Post
    I have two types. I made the first one out of a cat food can (nasty stuff, lol) and it works very well.

Then I bought a pre-made one from a local outdoors outfitter. I kid you not, the cat food can one gets hotter and boils water much faster.

I use denatured alcohol as it's fairly inexpensive. Does the trick.
    I have never tired anything other than the stove ive made. Mostly due too the fact that i cant buy anything without thinking to myself, " How can i make this for less money? or How can i make this outta the materials i already have?" The "Cat-can" stove cost me nothing except fuel price, and it works better than i thought it would.

I am having a hard time finding the denatured alcohol. I thought it would be easy too find, but every time i ask i always get a crazy look.... Maybe i just look crazy, i dunno lol
    NOT ALL CONSPIRACIES ARE THEORIES! Hidden Content

If you see a Liberal today, remind them just how much of a moron they are!!

Liberals = Weapons of Mass Destruction

When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links