SHTF LAN/communication hub
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on SHTF LAN/communication hub within the DIY forums, part of the General Discussion category; Last night, I was racking my brains out on a way to restore networking and communications in a SHTF situation for a local group of ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: SHTF LAN/communication hub

Banned

Last night, I was racking my brains out on a way to restore networking and communications in a SHTF situation for a local group of people that are basically not prepared so they only have cellphones and laptops.

I have a basic idea but need you guys to talk me through the idea, help me out, give me a sense of direction or what have you.

Here goes:

Combine a 1Gbit wi-fi router with a rasberrypi running a linux kernel with an apache server, msql.....then create a basic website from an opensource forums package.

IE this website but not connected to an internet provider.

This establishes a local wireless network, and a gathering place to exchange information of any kind. Also, the private messaging system could serve as an improvised email service.

Wouldn't it be awesome if this could also mesh with other like systems through a ham radio connection? I think this might already exist as an open source project, anyone know where to find it?

What do you guys think? I think the moral aspect of this would be huge. It would provide p-p networking, and it could also provide an infrastructure for security sensors and automation.
    survival and hayden like this.

Whats the distance between the people?

Banned

Wi-fi range from the server. My 1GBit router is an extended range router maybe a 100' if I throw the antenna up a pole?

But a ham radio.....(insert evil sinister laughter here)

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

There have been a number of power outages at my old college. The electric would go out, but the wireless internet would stay up for about 10 minutes max, power backup most likely. The thing is, pick up an old phone on the wall, dial tone almost always. You would just have to set up the modem to answer and talk to each other.

Then your going to need to power all of this. Ahhhh ugh *walks into woods* *live like cave man*

tinkerhell likes this.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    -- The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security --

Just curious for 100' the homes/camps must be very close together and I personally don't think it would be worth it unless its underground style bunkers where you can't open a window and say incoming.

Now, you can use HAM radio to send emails, text and video. I've done email and text, but not video yet.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by survival View Post
    Just curious for 100' the homes/camps must be very close together and I personally don't think it would be worth it unless its underground style bunkers where you can't open a window and say incoming.

Now, you can use HAM radio to send emails, text and video. I've done email and text, but not video yet.
    Yes, the location I had in mind was a local scout cabin. It would serve a small group living out of the same building. But it wouldn't provide distance communications for hiking.

But a few ham radios, and another rasberry pi system could provide another 100' network that could link with the first? So a group could go out exploring and remain connected to the base camp.

The initial purchase of a handheld 2way radio set solves voice issues, so its not like we couldnt go low tech I guess.

with some more effective external antennae, a wifi mesh can cover significant distances.
    A number of years ago, before cellular hotspots were available, I wanted to be able to enjoy the local drive in theater without having to leave if my pager went off.
    I ran some LMR400 cable halfway up my tower (to about 60ft) and bolted a 24db gain parabolic antenna, pointed directly towards the drive-in.
    Then I mounted a home-brew wifi yagi (aka: the Packet Cannon) onto a Meade telescope base which I could magnetically attach to the roof of my SUV... went to see a movie and pointed the yagi towards my house. With a little fine aiming of the yagi I had a strapping wifi signal from home, more than a mile and a half away as the packet flies.

... and yes.. my pager went off during the movie and I was able to log in remotely to resolve the problem.

The Packet Cannon is still on display here in my office

survival, Denton, hayden and 4 others like this.
    -- The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security --

WiFi antennas for long ranges. Like RV parks etc.

https://www.ccrane.com/WiFi

One of my friends actually made his own WiFi dish. He drilled a hole in a wok, Asian frying pan, and put a USB wireless on a wire extension and connected to his neighbors WiFi. His neighbor lives quite the distance too. He said you have to move the USB card back and forth to find a sweet spot. His wife was mad because he drilled up the frying pan....

Quote Originally Posted by whoppo View Post
    with some more effective external antennae, a wifi mesh can cover significant distances.
    A number of years ago, before cellular hotspots were available, I wanted to be able to enjoy the local drive in theater without having to leave if my pager went off.
    I ran some LMR400 cable halfway up my tower (to about 60ft) and bolted a 24db gain parabolic antenna, pointed directly towards the drive-in.
    Then I mounted a home-brew wifi yagi (aka: the Packet Cannon) onto a Meade telescope base which I could magnetically attach to the roof of my SUV... went to see a movie and pointed the yagi towards my house. With a little fine aiming of the yagi I had a strapping wifi signal from home, more than a mile and a half away as the packet flies.

... and yes.. my pager went off during the movie and I was able to log in remotely to resolve the problem.

The Packet Cannon is still on display here in my office

Holy sh**

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links