SHTF LAN/communication hub - Page 2
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

SHTF LAN/communication hub

This is a discussion on SHTF LAN/communication hub within the DIY forums, part of the General Discussion category; One potential use for a BOL commuity wifi mesh system: Sharing of realtime images from IP cameras throughout the community, allowing decentralized security monitoring....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: SHTF LAN/communication hub

One potential use for a BOL commuity wifi mesh system:

Sharing of realtime images from IP cameras throughout the community, allowing decentralized security monitoring.
    Arklatex likes this.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    -- The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security --

You said local right

We do a lot of WiFi for the gas/oil industry

2.4 ghz with the right antennas can go several miles

we often use google earth to plan tower location and do path studies basic.... we have a $2,000 piece of software that will fine tune things and accounts for trees etc.

find the highest spot that you could have a repeater.
    plan on using a 255.255.0.0. subnet....or pick one that meets your needs times 3 (x3)
    remember pine trees are full of water (needles) and kill wireless signal
    plan on buying lots of direction antennas
    make sure devices are 12 volt dc and will work from POE (power over ethernet)
    get poe devices
    get solar panels 80 watt panels and 105 amp hour batteries will work
    have a email server
    assign IP addresses and do not have DHCP available / set to NOT BROADCAST NAME/ have good encryption...this stops BAD FOLK from getting on
    there are about 100 other things, but I do not have time right now
    Arklatex and tinkerhell like this.

Agreed... no DHCP.
    Static IP assignments, MAC address filtering, disable SSID beaconing, WPA2 (AES, not TKIP), null-route unassigned IP's.... there's a long list of precautions to consider.
    Maine-Marine likes this.
    -- The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security --

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

I played around with SSTV (slow scan TV) a few years ago on ham radio. You can send an image with text all across the country and at times other countries. There is a web site you can go to see what stations are picking up your signal. World SSTV Cam's List

I bought a TNC(terminal node controller) and couldn't get the cable right so ended up using a Rigblaster for packet radio. With packet you can send email and get on bulleten boards that would be kind of like this site, minus all the graphics. I wanted to be able to send computer files or programs. I wanted to say more but I think the auto save or spell check makes it all but impossible to type a message. I must check after each keystroke to see if it goes on the screen and push key again until it goes on [email protected]#$% HELP

This sounds like what you are after:

HSMM-MESH? Forum::Latest Post
    hayden likes this.

12 volt router with solar panel and serval project software on an android phone. Pirate box or run bit server on android to create a intranet. So many other ideas as well. I've been researching this stuff for awhile now, there is a ton of options. You just need to narrow down your search by making a list of whats most important to you.

I think I may be going the route of router and bit server. Both could be powered easily and with bit server you can add anything you wanted. (ie) forums, private sites, chat, web pages with survival guides and info, even videos.
    tinkerhell and Dubyagee like this.

Quote Originally Posted by whoppo View Post
    Agreed... no DHCP.
    Static IP assignments, MAC address filtering, disable SSID beaconing, WPA2 (AES, not TKIP), null-route unassigned IP's.... there's a long list of precautions to consider.
    What he said

now how to use it for alerts...

what about video cameras to watch roads

we use a ton of these

SHTF LAN/communication hub-fgr2-pe-2.jpg

they can be set up as Master Gateway, Slave-End Point, or repeater and can do ethernet and Serial.
    tinkerhell likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by survival View Post
    Now, you can use HAM radio to send emails, text and video. I've done email and text, but not video yet.
    How fast was it? I hear it takes a while.
    KG7NDC

The only thing that separates man from animal is our affinity for toilet paper.
    Once we as a society lose that affinity we begin to descend back into the animal kingdom, and after three or more days you will find the food chain beginning to invert on itself.

Quote Originally Posted by GTGallop View Post
    How fast was it? I hear it takes a while.
    The issue I've had with it is there aren't enough other people into it to get an interesting mesh going. It works at a higher speed than any prior HAM digital technology, mostly because the frequencies employed are capable of higher speed digital traffic.

GT the slow scan tv takes less than a minute to send the picture and text. My 5 band trap vertical, 5BTV antenna is down right now. I had it ground mounted on a pole with only about a foot of pole above the ground and the top portion rusted away. JT65 is a digital format that works really well but can only send 13 characters at a time. Also dabbled a bit with PSK with good results. I need to get back on the air and refresh my skills with these digital modes.
    tinkerhell likes this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links