Holster time.
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Holster time.

This is a discussion on Holster time. within the DIY forums, part of the General Discussion category; Working on a holster for my daughters .45 I may try to do a liner with this deer hide....

Like Tree17Likes
  • 7 Post By hawgrider
  • 1 Post By RubberDuck
  • 2 Post By hawgrider
  • 3 Post By hawgrider
  • 1 Post By Prepared One
  • 2 Post By dwight55
  • 1 Post By Denton

Thread: Holster time.

Third holler on the right. Then up the road a piece

Holster time.

Working on a holster for my daughters .45

I may try to do a liner with this deer hide.

"The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields
    You can find me at the Hidden Content

This liner idea might catch on with the high end carry guys. Get ready for the orders to start flooding in.
    I think it's a great idea for the safe queen bbq bike trip gun. Currently the wife is the only one with that quality of carry but you never know
    hawgrider likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by RubberDuck View Post
    This liner idea might catch on with the high end carry guys. Get ready for the orders to start flooding in.
    I think it's a great idea for the safe queen bbq bike trip gun. Currently the wife is the only one with that quality of carry but you never know
    Never did a liner yet so it will be interesting to see how it works out.
    Denton and RubberDuck like this.
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Well I did a little research and the deer hide is probably chrome tanned so can't use that because of the salts in it. Plan B is I may have a fairly thin piece of veg tan.

Awesome project Hawg. Looking forward to seeing the final product.
    hawgrider likes this.
    " All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: Freedom, Justice, Honor, Duty, Mercy, Hope" .Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by hawgrider View Post
    Well I did a little research and the deer hide is probably chrome tanned so can't use that because of the salts in it. Plan B is I may have a fairly thin piece of veg tan.
    FWIW . . . I had a email conversation some 12 years or so ago with Milt Sparks rep . . . on that very question.

He had taken a round mild steel rod . . . wrapped it in chrome tanned hide . . . stuck it in his safe several months before.

He went in and checked it . . . zero problem, . . . none . . . nada . . .

I've had similar results with all the holsters I've lined with suede . . . never had one myself or a customer give me any grief.

I've heard a lot of "yeah, my cousin's wife's brother in law had a drinking buddy whose uncle had a gun pitted by chrome tan............" . . . never a first hand experience or a picture.

Lay the blank leather you want to use down, . . . cover the flesh side with Weldwood contact cement . . . do the same for the deer hide . . . let em go for an hour or so . . . until all tackiness is gone . . . put em together . . . use a rolling pin to "cement the deal" . . . then construct the holster as though it were just one piece of leather.

May God bless,
    Dwight
    hawgrider and Michael_Js like this.
    If you can breathe, . . . thank God.

If you can read, . . . thank a teacher.

If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a veteran.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by dwight55 View Post
    FWIW . . . I had a email conversation some 12 years or so ago with Milt Sparks rep . . . on that very question.

He had taken a round mild steel rod . . . wrapped it in chrome tanned hide . . . stuck it in his safe several months before.

He went in and checked it . . . zero problem, . . . none . . . nada . . .

I've had similar results with all the holsters I've lined with suede . . . never had one myself or a customer give me any grief.

I've heard a lot of "yeah, my cousin's wife's brother in law had a drinking buddy whose uncle had a gun pitted by chrome tan............" . . . never a first hand experience or a picture.

Lay the blank leather you want to use down, . . . cover the flesh side with Weldwood contact cement . . . do the same for the deer hide . . . let em go for an hour or so . . . until all tackiness is gone . . . put em together . . . use a rolling pin to "cement the deal" . . . then construct the holster as though it were just one piece of leather.

May God bless,
    Dwight
    It was either you or "infidel" who warned me about the chrome tan when I was making knife sheaths and then when I was doing some research before I committed on the deer hide I ran into a video from "Weaver leathercraft" that reminded me about the possible issue with chrome tan metal rust issues.

I did want to use the deer hide as its from deer I killed back in the 70's that my dad sent out and had tanned. But.... I'm concerned with my daughters safe queen that I'd hate to be the one responsible for her finish getting ruined because I didn't heed the chrome tan and metal object warning.

Super Moderator

Work Wifey made a few of those for me for my sidearms. They are my favorites.
    hawgrider likes this.
    "Reality is almost always wrong."
    Dr. Gregory House

Sponsored Links