Converting a lamp to use a headlight?
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Converting a lamp to use a headlight? within the DIY forums, part of the General Discussion category; A few days ago I got the bright idea to convert an old lamp to use a car headlight but have not tried it yet. ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Converting a lamp to use a headlight?

A few days ago I got the bright idea to convert an old lamp to use a car headlight but have not tried it yet.
    I wouldn't expect it to last long on a car battery because if you leave your lights on in a car for x amount of time the car won't start. So because of this I was considering a deep cycle battery that is normally used for trolling motors. I can only assume this would last longer.
    So the problems are as follows.
    1. Battery life
    2. Charging battery and keeping it charged
    3. Possibly a 120 volt to 12 volt converter to run directly off of household current.
    4. Would I need to add anything special or could I just wire directly from the battery through a toggle switch then to the headlight.
    5. Not really a problem but you could have two settings similar to a three way bulb. Hi beam and normal driving lights.
    6. So there are three connections on a car headlight bulb. One ground. One for hi beam and one for normal driving. If you go to high beam do both the normal driving and the high beam get power or only one?

Thanks. Should be an interesting project. The only major expense would be the battery.

Banned

you might be better off to get a 12v supply ( 12V battery charger) instead of a battery. just a thought

also, play safe, this could be a fire hazard or a burnt skin hazard. please take precautions.

Why a head light? How much light do you need? Are you trying to light a room? I'm in an RV right now. I am in the living room with 1 light on and the tv with plenty of light in the room. You can buy the 12 volt lights at RV stores fairly cheep then all you have to do is mount them and run your wires. Could be the way to go for you. If you are wanting to go with the old lamp as a repurposed item I would use a tail light. With a head light and a way to focus the beam outward you could have a funky looking q-beam.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Banned

accidentally shorting the wires to a 12V battery can result in hundreds of amps, maybe even a thousand amps.

but a 10 amp battery charger won't deliver hundreds of amps if you cause a short.

Senior Member R.I.P.

I am at a loss to why you would need/want to use 12VDC when you have 120VAC. Why not just work light or spotlight for one of the 18VDC cordless drills?
    tinkerhell likes this.

Banned

I agree, a work light would be a much less horrible idea. And, at 15-30 dollars, it would be CSA approved.

So you guys think its a bad idea?

There are 12v bulbs that look just like a regular bulb, use that with a 12v power supply from an old scanner or laptop computer maybe. Then you would have a lamp that could be plugged into an outlet or hooked to a battery without the AC adapter.
    James m likes this.

Banned

James, I think there better solutions out there. They just depend on what you are trying to achieve. Is this an everyday light? Do want it to be bright? Do you want it to be effficient? Do you want a battery operated light? Will this light be used a lot? A little? Please let us know what you are hoping for, I'd enjoy giving you my best recommendation.

Senior Member R.I.P.

James, just at a loss at what you are trying to accomplish. Obviously not portable since you are talking a large battery. So is this a light for a room or such? Rather then the power draw of headlights a dome light bulb would give you light. Another option is tail light or bright brake light. Jumper cables from the battery to the bulb.

An option is the portable solar chargers for AA batteries & use a regular AA flashlight. But for serious light I like the swivel head on my 18VDC drill set work light & have multiple batteries for it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links