Converting a lamp to use a headlight? - Page 2
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Converting a lamp to use a headlight?

This is a discussion on Converting a lamp to use a headlight? within the DIY forums, part of the General Discussion category; Originally Posted by tinkerhell James, I think there better solutions out there. They just depend on what you are trying to achieve. Is this an ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Converting a lamp to use a headlight?

Quote Originally Posted by tinkerhell View Post
    James, I think there better solutions out there. They just depend on what you are trying to achieve. Is this an everyday light? Do want it to be bright? Do you want it to be effficient? Do you want a battery operated light? Will this light be used a lot? A little? Please let us know what you are hoping for, I'd enjoy giving you my best recommendation.
    What tinkerhell said. I spend a lot of time in an RV so I live with half 12 volt DC and half 120 volt AC. Not trying to be rude but we need more detail man. I do like my 12 volt lighting.

My first thoughts were for when there was no 120 volt. Due to most likely a short term event. So I was thinking charge a battery while there is 120 then use battery afterwards?

OK I didn't read everything because it was dumb. Having some 12 volt lights is good... Just know this. having 120 volt lights that need any inverters 12 to 120 is energy lost..having straight 12 Volt off of a 12 volt battery is most efficient. 12 to 120/110 is lossy ... I advise getting some 12 volt lights.... its a good thing. AC lights are energy lost in a SHTF situation.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

We have several "dual bulb" RV light fixtures mounted at key points throughout our house, hard wired to the 12volt battery bank that powers the 12v capable gear in the radio shack (~400AH capacity).
    The dual bulb fixture switches allow for one or both of the bulbs to be lit, so we're got one medium brightness RED LED bulb and one high brightness WHITE LED bulb in each. The RED option makes for good night time movement without imparing night vision as well as making good on-all-night-lights in the hallways, etc.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    -- The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security --
    ---------------------------------------------------------------

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by James m View Post
    My first thoughts were for when there was no 120 volt. Due to most likely a short term event. So I was thinking charge a battery while there is 120 then use battery afterwards?
    I think you have a good and practical idea about using a battery and battery charge. By staying with a 12V system, this allows you to charge the battery other ways, too.

However, the headlamp is power consumer, and a battery destroyer. They aren't intended to be used unless your vehicle engine is running.

The good news is you still have a long list of options to choose from. Check out the RV and automotive sections of your big box store. You could even go to an auto wrecker and grab a variety of interior lights.

Also, there are LED products fairly new on the market, they can be very expensive but they consume the least amount of power and have a very long life expectancy. Except, I think we will find that some are poorly designed and manufactured so keep your reciepts and be the kind of person that returns things on warranty when they fail.

Finally, I'm not sure that the following is necessary because you started a thread on a specific lighting project rather than a general prepping thread on lighting. So please forgive me for having to say this anyway.....I love and trust technology, but don't want to find myself SOL because I relied on it and it failed. So, I also prep candles, and I have 1 kerosene lamp with just a few quarts of fuel. My wife understands never to pass up on yard sale candles.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsored Links