Improvised Field Phones

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Improvised Field Phones

This is a discussion on Improvised Field Phones within the DIY forums, part of the General Discussion category; f tactical plans are part of your preparations then this may interest you. OK, you already know field phones like the TA-312 are a really ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By MaterielGeneral
  • 1 Post By Smitty901

Thread: Improvised Field Phones

Improvised Field Phones

f tactical plans are part of your preparations then this may interest you.

OK, you already know field phones like the TA-312 are a really nice item of kit to have for LP/OP and command centers.* Can you afford them? What about adding a switchboard?* I recently bought a 1940's Navy Department Bureau of Yards and Docks, Magneto Switchboard, D-14309, Stromberg-Carlson Co. at an auction for 30.00 and its going to be an experiment.* I have been collecting old phones for a couple years now and have about 15 of them.* More than I need but I don't know how many are INOP.
    Now check out these YouTube videos and its going to make sense

Here are a few videos on making field phones out of house phones. I don't know if I will be able to implement the switchboard into it so if not then I will flip/sell it.

This first video is my favorite. Its simple but has a ringer.

This next one is similar but no ringer.

These next two videos are by the same guy and are pretty nice. It would be awesome to make these phones but it is above my skill level.

Now the only downside of this is that they are not weather proof like the TA-312 are. You would be able to use them for a hasty observation post as long as there was no rain. Your permanent LP/OP should at least have a roof over it to keep the rain out.

On eBay you can get 1000' of RG11 telephone wire between $40.-50.00 with some cheaper stuff springing up here and there. You can get shorter lengths for varying prices VS length.

Why do this, Security? Every time you transmit on a radio you can be listened in on or tracked by those with knowledge. That is why the Army has field phones. Avoid radio traffic as much as possible.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Improvised Field Phones-switchboard.jpg  

Smitty901 and RedLion like this.
    A prudent man foresees evil and hides himself, But the simple pass on and are punished. Proverbs 22:3 NKJV

Please excuse my mess in the switchboard photo. I am in the middle of some rearranging and adding shelving.
    A prudent man foresees evil and hides himself, But the simple pass on and are punished. Proverbs 22:3 NKJV

Woops, I forgot to add this link. It is a switchboard video. It is lengthy but very informative.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

I have collected many sound powered Phones all in good working order. Wire has been buried for years
    MaterielGeneral likes this.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

Bump for the evening folks.

In the first post, bottom two intercom videos the channel emailed me these files that I will upload to this thread. Here is a video where he goes step by step building the circuit to run his intercom. Its an excellent video.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Improvised Field Phones-302-ringdown-1f.jpg  

Improvised Field Phones-305-ringdown-local-power.jpg  

Improvised Field Phones-306-ringdown-intermittant-signal.jpg  

Improvised Field Phones-311-two-station-manual-signal.jpg  

Here is a few more.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Improvised Field Phones-intercom-schematic-black.jpg  

Improvised Field Phones-intercom-schematic-color.jpg  

Improvised Field Phones-intercom-schematic-notes.jpg  

Here is a couple misc. I found on the internet.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Sponsored Links