This Is My Castle
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This Is My Castle

This is a discussion on This Is My Castle within the DIY forums, part of the General Discussion category; Hello everyone, it's unfortunate to report this, but last Tuesday while heading home I received that phone call no one in general wants to get, ...

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree49Likes

Thread: This Is My Castle

This Is My Castle

Hello everyone, it's unfortunate to report this, but last Tuesday while heading home I received that phone call no one in general wants to get, let alone a husband who's wife just broke the news to him a day prior she was pregnant. She called was understandably frantic, she tells me " there's two guys here and they're trying to break in ". Our company trucks have GPS devices in them to not only monitor where we are, but also how fast we are going. I was informed today that my truck was recorded going one hundred and forty miles per hour.

My wife is more than capable of doing whatever it takes to defend herself, she has spent a lot of time focusing on not only hand to hand but combat involving weaponry. Her skills with a firearm are impressive, she has a literal arsenal at her disposal, anything she could possibly want. Not to mention three dogs inside who would give their lives to protect her, our former front door was what was labeled a " security " door. It was more an industrial looking door, it had two deadbolts and two barrel bolts not to mention the knob, all of which she had locked.

I was over an hour from home, she called the police on the house phone, she told me she was going to lock herself in our panic room and load heavy. She was going to the panic room when I heard gunshots in the background, she tells me flat out " they're breaching ". My heart sank, I did not know what to do, what could I do, all I knew was what I was going to do...

When I arrived there was not a single L.E.O in sight, it took five rounds from a 12 gauge to open up my front door. My wife was locked down as we had trained to in the panic room. About fifteen minutes later several state police arrive, from the nearest barracks to my house is roughly forty minutes. Now granted, the long line of sinners before me did not have the greatest relationship with the state police, but it took them nearly an hour to arrive.

This made me sick and disgusted as it would anyone, an investigator told me frankly they would do ballistics and their best, but without anything else this pretty much never happened.

As a man, how do you take that? Supposed to be the protector, the guardian, the shepherd of fire. It's a mentally corrosive situation. Basically I was an hour away, I was no better than those cops, they could have done the unimaginable, ransacked the house and been in a different state by the time either of us arrived. You never want someone especially one who is emotionally sensitive to have to do something like that. A good friend of mine said it is a horrible thing to have to do, he drilled it in her to see paper targets and nothing more.

Perhaps I went a bit overboard with my cabin's overhaul, three good friends and myself ripped the door frame and roughly five feet of wall on either side completely out. The steel company I deal with sends me Christmas cards every year, I made the salesman happy that day. Well casing reinforced with drill steel and filled with concrete became the new door frame. From there we used steel and concrete for the walls, overlapping AR500 steel plates in a foot thick of concrete. 3/4 inch AR550 created the skin for the new door which is overlapped 1/2 inch AR500 steel plates back to back. We took ideas from your typical gun safe and used locking bars, twenty in total to secure it, not to mention an accessory door to cover the main if something ever did get through.

Thankfully something changed these two individual's minds, they did however come prepared for a fight, their truck had the license plate covered, they had plate carriers and ballistic face protection which also masked their identity. One man came carrying what I believe to be was a portable plasma cutter, my wife did yell out of a gun port that she was going to start shooting unless they left immediately. Could they have fought back, absolutely, one had to be what appeared an AR-10, the other of course had a nondescript shotgun.

Needless to say this morning before my super' learned of what had happened he chewed a pound and a half of meat off of my ass. This has deeply bothered me, but for my wife I feel as though it was a sobering fact to not be dependent on outside assistance, it may be a sad fact of life but the monster that truth is is often ugly. A captain with the state police personally contacted me actually and wanted to clarify that there was no hard feeling between us professionally since my company supervises the safe disposal of a majority of the region's explosive threats. I told him flat out that professionally and personally I would refuse any further involvement with them.

Last night was the first night my wife was able to sleep soundly since that incident, no further word from the state police. I told her while our remodeling project so to speak was taking place that our castle needs to aid in protecting us as we protect it. Today when I arrived home I passed a welcoming sign made by my wife being who she is, painted oh so beautifully " Abandon all hope ye who enter here ". I gave her an extra kiss for that one.

Few things are more comforting in life than knowing that your wife is able to sleep comfortably at the home you and her had built together and that she feels safe within those walls of your castle.
    A man never truly knows how good he is with a gun until that gun is his last resort to live.

“Everything's fine today… that is our illusion.” – Voltaire

One cannot appreciate the light until you have seen the darkness

Grinch, damn! I don't know what to say other than I'm glad you and your wife are both OK.
    inceptor and Grinch2 like this.

I worked in the same zone I lived in. If my wife had an issue she called me direct. There was a time or two in those 30 years I just had to say, "Hon, prepare to defend yourself." She had her own firearm with which she was well trained and accurate. I would get there as quickly as I could but eventually we got MDIS terminals and I was limited by law how fast I could go too. You just have to trust them. She never had to fire a shot in anger and I never had to pay for professional carpet cleaning.
    dwight55 and Grinch2 like this.
    "There is a destiny that shapes our ends, Rough, hew them as we will."

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

My biggest fear is that my wife will be alone when the bad, . . . bad guys come calling.

She basically lives in Denial, Ohio, . . . thinking that things have always been good, . . . why would they change??

I've just come (in almost 51 years) to accept the fact that I'm not going to change that, . . . I'll work around it as best I can, . . . and go on.

My son and his wife are basically in the same boat, . . . as are many others I know.

It's good Grinch2, . . . to see the other side every once in a while.

May God bless,
    Dwight
    Slippy and Grinch2 like this.
    If you can breathe, . . . thank God.

If you can read, . . . thank a teacher.

If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a veteran.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

This would be a good one for Armed Citizen, NRA.

Glad you and family are safe.
    Grinch2 likes this.

@Grinch2, it's very good that you taught your wife to shoot. I had the same issue with my wife.

I met my wife when she was still in high school and dating my brother. I rode home to watch a Packer game with my dad, and "bumped" into her in our hallway. I would have never guessed this stilt tall blonde was actually going to marry me!

The problem was that she was raised in the 'burbs and didn't know a firearm from a fire extinguisher. It took a while, but she finally liked 'plinking.' The nice thing about this was that she wanted a handgun that "felt good." I had no problem with that because she chose my nickel plated Charter Arms Bulldog in .44 SPL, and it's still on her side of the bed to this day.
    dwight55 and Grinch2 like this.
    ...No matter where you are it's enemy territory...

Good sir...
    I don't mean to call your story into question, and I am relieved that you and yours survived this ordeal, but... there is a glaring question that MUST be asked.

WHAT THE HELL DO YOU HAVE?

What on earth would compel two people to arm up, armor up, gear up, and storm your location with all the tools and equipment necessary to rob Fort Knox?
    Per your description, these people had two plate carriers, assumed with armor ($300-500 apiece), two ballistic face masks ($300-500 apiece), a plasma cutter ($700-1000), an AR-10 ($500-1000), and a shotgun. They paid no mind to trying to bash the door in, they just started shooting. Zero concern given to the noise they would cause, fully understanding that police response was virtually non-existent, and ready to take return fire from their victim.

So again... What the hell do you have?

Did they mistake your place for something else? Could that be why they left?
    Did they appear to have foreknowledge of what it would take to get in and get what they wanted?
    Was any other home in the area hit recently?
    Will your improvements only solidify their expectation that you are protecting something worth more than their lives?

Your story sounds like a nightmare scenario from a movie. I struggle to understand what would make people invest this much time, effort, money, and risk into breaking into a random stranger's home.
    I mean, if you are literally just a man and woman with nothing special, and you get THIS kind of attention, what on earth should the rest of us expect? Are criminals becoming this bad? This is a whole different level.

I'm thankful you are both ok. Damn fine work by your wife to have the right mindset to deal with this on her own. Maybe her actions alone made them rethink their plans. They could have assumed an easier target with just a woman in the home. Good thing mama bear was ready.
    Slippy, inceptor, KUSA and 2 others like this.
    "Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." - H. L. Mencken

One hell of a read that was for me, Jesus. I'm glad you guys are ok. Your wife is amazing by thew way, that's one of my favorite quotes from the Divine Comedy.
    Grinch2 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by dwight55 View Post
    My biggest fear is that my wife will be alone when the bad, . . . bad guys come calling.

She basically lives in Denial, Ohio, . . . thinking that things have always been good, . . . why would they change??

I've just come (in almost 51 years) to accept the fact that I'm not going to change that, . . . I'll work around it as best I can, . . . and go on.

My son and his wife are basically in the same boat, . . . as are many others I know.

It's good Grinch2, . . . to see the other side every once in a while.

May God bless,
    Dwight
    I, unfortunately, have a wife who literally grew up right down the road from your wife there in Denial, Ohio. She lived at the corner of Optimism Street and Bliss Avenue.

To make matters worse, I have worked for 9 years a state away. She refuses to want a gun. I have guns there, Locked away, but she refuses to want to shoot them or learn anything.

Sometimes you just have to hope for the best and pick a neighborhood with good people.

She does have a stun-gun in her drawer by the bed....But I'm pretty sure that was to ward me away. It's probably the only thing in that drawer that has a dead battery, for lack of use, by now.
    dwight55 and A Watchman like this.

A friend of mine lives on an 1800 acre ranch in Texas. His driveway is about 3 miles from gate to house. The first time I was invited to visit he and his wife picked us up at the airport and drive the couple of hours to his ranch. After unlocking the gate and driving the 3 miles to his house we get out and he walks right up to his door and opens it up, didn't use a key.

"C.L"., I said, you keep your doors unlocked all the way out here in the middle of nowhere? His wife laughed and said that they have no idea where the keys even are and if the locks would work if they found them! They live in a beautiful old family farm house thats been on the land for a long time.

He is likeminded (like most of us! ) and went on to say that if he or his wife are home, tough shit for the thieves. But if they are not home then he'd rather not have the thieves bust the doors or break the windows just to steal some stuff. He said all his "good stuff" is in safes that a common thief probably wouldn't find. Made sense.

Later on as we ate some steaks and watched the sunset over the Colorado River, I realized that most likely, no one in their right mind was going to come way out here to steal something and risk death when there was way too many easy targets between here and the city...

Just a thought that came to mind...

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links