the weakness of bunkers
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

the weakness of bunkers

This is a discussion on the weakness of bunkers within the DIY forums, part of the General Discussion category; I have a bunker design problem. One thing all underground bunkers need is air vents. These are a primary weakness of a bunker fortress. Anyone ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: the weakness of bunkers

the weakness of bunkers

I have a bunker design problem. One thing all underground bunkers need is air vents. These are a primary weakness of a bunker fortress. Anyone with a jerrycan of gas can defeat the most complex bunker.

So how do you build a vent tube that will be resistant to attacks? Water trap? Indirect line? Any ideas? How do you keep some guy from doing to you what Lee Marvin did to those nazis in The Dirty Dozen?

Plant something above it. Thicket bushes etc. Disguise it as best possible.

Shouldn't it be something NBC though?

I would think of it the same way as a plumber installs pipes where you don't let rain water coming into any vents on the roof affect the toilet or sinks. Sink your airshaft down and then add an initial air vent leading slight upwards from the main down shaft. Then the main down shaft will go further down and then have a J-turn where water will create a gas block from coming back up through the down shaft. and then it will gradually flow outward a down angle to a final drain spot down hill from you...It can remain under ground but would need to have pebbles, rock etc around it to not get clogged and allow any rainwater to drain...This way if someone pour gas down it...it would flow past the main shaft off that pipe and hit the j turn and gradual push itself out the distant drain...You could then push water through your air line and push that gas all the way out to avoid having fumes seep into your space.

That's how I would handle it...If I were a bunker builder.
    Last edited by Old SF Guy; 11-02-2014 at 04:02 PM.
    Denton, Jeep, dannydefense and 1 others like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Sort of like this.....

the weakness of bunkers-drawing.jpg
    tks likes this.

For things like grenades you can A) make your shaft too small for a grenade sized device, and just use several smaller sized pipes to get the volume you need. or B) put a mesh diverter in your downshaft to redirect a grenade to a dug out area(maybe bricked in or other and have a second shaft leading up from that so that it helps divert the blast pressure. I'm sure you'd still get some inside but at least it might prevent your main shaft from being destroyed with just a grenade or two. again...just thinking out loud.

the weakness of bunkers-drawing2.jpg

you could also dispose of body waste and gray water that way too...just push some clean water after it to keep the j-turn filled with fresh water to keep out Oder...But I wouldn't do that with solid waste. Bag that stuff with ziplock bags and use some loam (or is it Lime???) or kitty liter
    Last edited by Old SF Guy; 11-02-2014 at 04:18 PM.
    Denton likes this.

Similar to a fox hole just a bit more sophisticated.
    Old SF Guy likes this.

First... do not let anybody know there is a bunker.

Second - run several false air intakes and have several real intakes

third - have the real intake go up through a fake outdoor toilet, wishing well, Cement wall, middle of a pond, stream, etc

forth - make the intake have a dead drop that goes past the real shaft to the bunker

fifth - have the ability to close them
    Kahlan, Old SF Guy and Benja455 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Rotten View Post
    I have a bunker design problem. One thing all underground bunkers need is air vents. These are a primary weakness of a bunker fortress. Anyone with a jerrycan of gas can defeat the most complex bunker.

So how do you build a vent tube that will be resistant to attacks? Water trap? Indirect line? Any ideas? How do you keep some guy from doing to you what Lee Marvin did to those nazis in The Dirty Dozen?
    I would build several air tubes. Obviously put screens in just out of reach. You need to keep critters out! The J trap is fine, with an overflow for excess water. If you're any good at painting, you could run one line up a nearby tree. You do need filters, too. Grenades might destroy one or two, but you'd have at least one left. Inside the bunker you can lead them all into one big nbc filter box. Remember to engineer yourself a back door, too.
    I wouldn't want to be part of any organization that would allow me to be a member.

In Memorium
    Corporal Bradley Coy 06/08/92-10/24/14

I have been playing with old sf guys idea, the roman water trap. I also considered it might be cool if i use a series of layered vanes to divert liquids and solids, and how cool would it be if they were diverted under whoever is dumping the stuff, maybe with a gravel process, or a blast revetment that shapes the charge back at the intruders.

I have a shutter in the plans, you should be able to close the vents.

Just remember that water and other items fall down with gravity, but air can travel uphill.
    Old SF Guy likes this.
    Friends don't let friends own Glocks.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links