Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

the weakness of bunkers

5K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  namesmeanlittle 
#1 ·
I have a bunker design problem. One thing all underground bunkers need is air vents. These are a primary weakness of a bunker fortress. Anyone with a jerrycan of gas can defeat the most complex bunker.

So how do you build a vent tube that will be resistant to attacks? Water trap? Indirect line? Any ideas? How do you keep some guy from doing to you what Lee Marvin did to those nazis in The Dirty Dozen?

#3 · (Edited)
I would think of it the same way as a plumber installs pipes where you don't let rain water coming into any vents on the roof affect the toilet or sinks. Sink your airshaft down and then add an initial air vent leading slight upwards from the main down shaft. Then the main down shaft will go further down and then have a J-turn where water will create a gas block from coming back up through the down shaft. and then it will gradually flow outward a down angle to a final drain spot down hill from you...It can remain under ground but would need to have pebbles, rock etc around it to not get clogged and allow any rainwater to drain...This way if someone pour gas down it...it would flow past the main shaft off that pipe and hit the j turn and gradual push itself out the distant drain...You could then push water through your air line and push that gas all the way out to avoid having fumes seep into your space.

That's how I would handle it...If I were a bunker builder.

#5 · (Edited)
For things like grenades you can A) make your shaft too small for a grenade sized device, and just use several smaller sized pipes to get the volume you need. or B) put a mesh diverter in your downshaft to redirect a grenade to a dug out area(maybe bricked in or other and have a second shaft leading up from that so that it helps divert the blast pressure. I'm sure you'd still get some inside but at least it might prevent your main shaft from being destroyed with just a grenade or two. again...just thinking out loud.

Gesture Font Auto part Logo Line art

you could also dispose of body waste and gray water that way too...just push some clean water after it to keep the j-turn filled with fresh water to keep out Oder...But I wouldn't do that with solid waste. Bag that stuff with ziplock bags and use some loam (or is it Lime???) or kitty liter

#7 ·
First... do not let anybody know there is a bunker.

Second - run several false air intakes and have several real intakes

third - have the real intake go up through a fake outdoor toilet, wishing well, Cement wall, middle of a pond, stream, etc

forth - make the intake have a dead drop that goes past the real shaft to the bunker

fifth - have the ability to close them

#13 ·
Sixth look at submarine technology...

#8 ·
I have a bunker design problem. One thing all underground bunkers need is air vents. These are a primary weakness of a bunker fortress. Anyone with a jerrycan of gas can defeat the most complex bunker.

So how do you build a vent tube that will be resistant to attacks? Water trap? Indirect line? Any ideas? How do you keep some guy from doing to you what Lee Marvin did to those nazis in The Dirty Dozen?
I would build several air tubes. Obviously put screens in just out of reach. You need to keep critters out! The J trap is fine, with an overflow for excess water. If you're any good at painting, you could run one line up a nearby tree. You do need filters, too. Grenades might destroy one or two, but you'd have at least one left. Inside the bunker you can lead them all into one big nbc filter box. Remember to engineer yourself a back door, too.

#9 ·
I have been playing with old sf guys idea, the roman water trap. I also considered it might be cool if i use a series of layered vanes to divert liquids and solids, and how cool would it be if they were diverted under whoever is dumping the stuff, maybe with a gravel process, or a blast revetment that shapes the charge back at the intruders.

I have a shutter in the plans, you should be able to close the vents.

#14 ·
The first thing would be to hide the openings. I think the best and easiest way to do this might be to pile some big rocks over it, then cover this with dirt. Let's say a large rock to either side with a big flat rock for a roof, then dirt on top planted with grass, ferns, or whatever. A loose pile of rock has enough openings to allow air to flow, and you can make it look very natural.

I would also do a screen of some sort to block critters. A second screen of heavy-duty wire cloth, placed more than an arm's length down the tube would stop anything dropped into the tube. Some of the other ideas already presented here, would also be handy. Not that sure about the practicality of the water-filled trap though.

You should probably have some way of shutting off the air in case someone drops CS in the area, or in the case of an NBC type attack.

You should plan to have multiple air shafts if possible.

The best bunkers I have seen are made of 10' or 12' diameter corrugated pipe. This stuff is designed to be in ground contact and will last 100 years or more. You can see some of the details of their construction, including how they handle air intakes on this site (and associated videos)...

www.atlassurvivalshelters.com/

Reactions: sparkyprep
#15 ·
one more thing that can be done,is any structures that are close enough for this.run the air vents up the wall(s) and through the roof of the above ground structures,where they appear to be a part of it..especially if the structure is a steel and tin building of some kind.chances are,no one will want to burn it..

#16 ·
build a hole in the air vent at the bottom run your outside line at the bottom and the line going to the bunker at the top I recommend at least a 2ft all around hole deeper is better, extra protection. Then make your hole concrete around the air vent for a few feet with 2 filters (might as well make it gas proof or fit it for a gas filter). MAKE 2 of these complete that way the air will flow either way. Make a third smaller distant hole with a big dip at least with one filter that is closed off as a back up if something happens to your 2 mains, it will function to get bad air out.
oh ya hide the openings

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.