DIY in decline because men are too wussified- UK Article on Drudge - Page 4
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DIY in decline because men are too wussified- UK Article on Drudge

This is a discussion on DIY in decline because men are too wussified- UK Article on Drudge within the DIY forums, part of the General Discussion category; 2x4x12, 2x6x12, 2x8x12 So it seems that the only difference is the width, 4", 6" or 8", and the guy couldn't do that by eye ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
Like Tree98Likes

Thread: DIY in decline because men are too wussified- UK Article on Drudge

2x4x12, 2x6x12, 2x8x12
    So it seems that the only difference is the width, 4", 6" or 8", and the guy couldn't do that by eye or even with a tape?

I'm guessing he was lucky to keep the job, let alone get a raise.
    BagLady likes this.
    Rob Gray, aka Graynomad, living on the road since 2001, now homesteading, Hidden Content
    Scattered showers my arse -- Noah, 2348BC.

Even if he could measure, he would measure and get 3.5 5.5 and 7.5 inches. And sometimes less. They have measured lumber before milling for years. Even more confusion on the way.

I was assuming rough sawn but yes that's true for dressed timber, that have would confused the heck out of him
    James m likes this.
    Rob Gray, aka Graynomad, living on the road since 2001, now homesteading, Hidden Content
    Scattered showers my arse -- Noah, 2348BC.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by graynomad View Post
    So it seems that the only difference is the width, 4", 6" or 8", and the guy couldn't do that by eye or even with a tape?

I'm guessing he was lucky to keep the job, let alone get a raise.
    That was just an example for the sake of the story. There were lengths of 10,12, 14 and 16.
    Not sawmill lumber, so yeah, I guess the guy didnt know they would measure 1/2" less.
    We never used him again.
    Funny thing tho. About 2 yrs later, his Dad and him opened a shop making and selling wood trim...That didnt last long!
    Last edited by BagLady; 12-05-2014 at 09:15 PM.
    In Memory of Cpl. Bradley Coy
    Thank you for your service and sacrifice.

Sail on, Hunting Hawk. You were one of a kind.

The Good Cop

I first learned how to use tools when Dad let me "help" him on projects in his small workshop.
    Later, in my early twenties, fresh out of the service and married, with no extra cash I was able to begin to put my knowledge to work.
    I learned car repair for the same reason - could not afford to pay someone to do it. Today I can do anything on a car except rebuild the transmission, I've never had to do that. Pulling an engine, tearing it all the way down to the bare block and rebuilding with whatever new parts are needed, farming out only the machine shop work, is enjoyable. It's not work, or something mysterious.

In my belief system, God gives each of us a skill, a talent. Some are poets, some are mathematicians, doctors. I'm none of that - I barely graduated high school.
    My God given talent is to be able to figure out how mechanical things work and fix them when they break, and build things like sheds, fences, and barns.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

Quote Originally Posted by tks View Post
    I blame helicopter parents. On my other forum I see women discussing a myriad of child raising issues and these next generations are so screwed. Of course these kids can't fix anything, they aren't allowed to touch a hammer until their 18 because the might hit their pinky. It's disgusting stuff to read. These kids are so over protected that most will not know how to take care of themselves nor deal with any of the disappointments or hardships that inevitably is life. We already are seeing the effects of these participation award kids. They voted in the last few elections. They voted on getting free stuff and social/economic equality. We are either going to end up two ways 1)people who are good with their hand and can fix things will become a commodity and highly paid therefore reversing the trend or 2) those who can't do won't want to pay those who can and will demand we ship in cheap labor (which is what is happening) making it even less likely for those skills to be passed on.
    Post of the month !
    I had to fire an 20 y/o employee one time and his mother called me asking that I reconsider my decision. I was flabbergasted.
    Hell, anyone can do that. Hold my beer and I'll show you

I learned auto mechanics, wood working and household repairs by helping or watching my dad when i was a kid.
    Thank God he took the time and I took the interest. Those skills have saved me thousands and thousands of dollars over my lifetime.
    CWOLDOJAX and turbo6 like this.
    Hell, anyone can do that. Hold my beer and I'll show you

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Sponsored Links