DIY in decline because men are too wussified- UK Article on Drudge - Page 3
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DIY in decline because men are too wussified- UK Article on Drudge

This is a discussion on DIY in decline because men are too wussified- UK Article on Drudge within the DIY forums, part of the General Discussion category; Originally Posted by Slippy ... If I can't fix something you can bet your ass I'll tear the sumbitch up trying...then go out and buy ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree98Likes

Thread: DIY in decline because men are too wussified- UK Article on Drudge

Quote Originally Posted by Slippy View Post

If I can't fix something you can bet your ass I'll tear the sumbitch up trying...then go out and buy a new one...
    ... and keep the parts for spares
    rice paddy daddy likes this.
    ... And I looked and arose and said to the nobles and to the officials and to the rest of the people, “Do not be afraid of them. Remember the Lord, who is great and awesome, and fight for your brothers, your sons, your daughters, your wives, and your homes.” -- Nehemiah Hidden Content

"Start where you are. Use all you have. Do all you can." -- Pat Williams

I believe that article but at the same time it seems to me that allot of things are intentionally made so that it is much more difficult for an individual to repair something. I know it makes me sound old, but when I was in my late teens/early 20's, I spent allot of weekends pulling car engines and swapping them out, replacing alternators, starters, other parts as needed. We would pull an engine, replace, it , and have the new one up and running in an afternoon, all under a tree with a pulley tied to a big branch. I wouldn't even try that now with the new engines they have. Still change my own oil, change out break pads, but that's about it. If it sounds like it frustrates me, it does.
    BagLady and Slippy like this.

I have to add that having my son in the garage with me while I tinkered, cut out my wife's toll painting projects, or just fix coffee pots has paid off.

He works full time and builds furniture to sell on the side.
    Here is a pic of a custom dining room table table set with my grandson getting caught plucking the flowers...

DIY in decline because men are too wussified- UK Article on Drudge-img_1275.pngDIY in decline because men are too wussified- UK Article on Drudge-furniture.jpg

(not advertising - just showing evidence)
    TG, Kahlan, csi-tech and 4 others like this.
    ... And I looked and arose and said to the nobles and to the officials and to the rest of the people, “Do not be afraid of them. Remember the Lord, who is great and awesome, and fight for your brothers, your sons, your daughters, your wives, and your homes.” -- Nehemiah Hidden Content

"Start where you are. Use all you have. Do all you can." -- Pat Williams

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

I have had to come to the rescue of many "men" who, for whatever reason, could not defend or protect his family against a crime, could not change a flat, walk to a gas station, control his kids or turn off a water valve. Some men are genetically meek. They have the "want to" but just not enough ass to get the job done. They are excluded from this conversation as heart and confidence go a long way with me. Some guys just don't wear the pants in the house and that's just how it is sometimes. It's the ones who exact revenge on their wives, children and pets for being born weak. These individuals, (I am reticent to call them men) are the ones that tick me off. Not only are they utterly useless they are exerting control over someone or something else. There may be nothing I enjoy more than arresting one of these people. They have no control and their true colors show. They cry.
    "There is a destiny that shapes our ends, Rough, hew them as we will."

No fathers. Or no fit ones. Add dyke tv (barney/teletubbies) and they're all "purple penguins" anyone can utilize (idiocracy)
    So much for "broken homes/single parents/ gay family - that just trains commies and slaves
    CWOLDOJAX likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Slippy View Post
    After my mediocre baseball career was over (their choice not mine!) I started playing lots of Men's Softball. I played on many teams; company teams, church teams, Open travel teams even Co-rec teams where ladies and men play together.

I remember getting on a new team one year and first game we're warming up and I notice someone that I had not seen in practice before. Some guy who absolutely sucked. I've seen 5 year old girls throw better than this guy. This dude is missing his warmup partner, throwing balls in the dirt, over his head and missing miserably. So I stop warmups and get everyone's attention by asking loudly; "Just what in the hell did you do from age 6 to 18? You look like you've never thrown as much as a rock before?"

That's the way I feel about most of the neighbors that I have lived around. Did their Dad's never show them how to fix anything? Sheesh!
    Good to see another person with a mediocre baseball career, I could hit a fastball a mile, but I couldn't hit a breaking ball to save my life in college.

I too started playing a lot of softball. I ran my companies softball team for many years. Everyone who signed up got to play.

There was this one guy, very nice in his 30s, who signed up to get more active. I never saw a guy who threw and swung worse then this guy. He would do the twirl when he was at bat. So one day after practice me and a few of the other guys pulled him aside and told him we were going to work with him until he put 10 balls in play. After about a half hour, one hit and about 50 spins it dawned on me...he's left handed.

I ask and he says yes I'm left handed. I explained to him that he was doing everything from the wrong side and asked how he didn't know that. This was the first time he ever played ball. Blew me away. He improved dramatically over the next week as we sorted him out.
    BagLady and Slippy like this.

It's only broke if:

1) It's something that annoys ME

2) She puts her foot down and says "or else" and means it.
    TG likes this.

I was raised mostly by mom after my father died when I was 8. I still manage to do all minor to moderate car/house repairs myself.
    I try to teach or at least involve my 7 year old son in stuff like oil changes, replacing brake pads, household repairs.
    TG and BagLady like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Notsoyoung View Post
    I believe that article but at the same time it seems to me that allot of things are intentionally made so that it is much more difficult for an individual to repair something...
    Very true, against my better judgement we bought a new cay about 4 years ago, I don't know what half the crap under the hood does and even if I did I wouldn't have the tools to analyse/fix it. That's the bad news, the good news is that I'm totally off the hook, I don't have to fix anything on this vehicle because I can't

Of course most modern stuff has at least one computer and usually that makes it non-fixable, even to an embedded electronics engineer like myself.
    BagLady and Arklatex like this.
    Rob Gray, aka Graynomad, living on the road since 2001, now homesteading, Hidden Content
    Scattered showers my arse -- Noah, 2348BC.

All the guys our daughter has dated, with the exception of maybe 2, have been worthless at any hands on projects, or mowing, or hunting, or helping..
    She's been dating for 11 years. A lot.
    At first, we would hire one of her "friends" for labor on one of our construction jobs. 16-20yr olds. One guy my husband told, these stacks of wood are separated. 2x4x12, 2x6x12, 2x8x12, etc. and hands the guy a tape measure.
    So Hubby is about 14' up on this barn he's building, and needing this guy to hand him the proper boards he calls for. Even with a tape measure the kid couldnt do it!! So Hubby has to keep pointing at which stack of boards he needs.
    At the end of their short day, the guy says; "So when do you think I can get a raise"...?
    In Memory of Cpl. Bradley Coy
    Thank you for your service and sacrifice.

Sail on, Hunting Hawk. You were one of a kind.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links