DIY in decline because men are too wussified- UK Article on Drudge - Page 2
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DIY in decline because men are too wussified- UK Article on Drudge

This is a discussion on DIY in decline because men are too wussified- UK Article on Drudge within the DIY forums, part of the General Discussion category; I find watching wussified men trying to fix something entertaining as hell. Maybe I am sick and twisted for laughing at their antics. About a ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree98Likes

Thread: DIY in decline because men are too wussified- UK Article on Drudge

I find watching wussified men trying to fix something entertaining as hell. Maybe I am sick and twisted for laughing at their antics. About a month ago, I watched three nerds trying to put up a sign at best buy. One nerd watched and fretted, one was constantly in the way and the third (the alpha nerd) kept screwing it up and starting over.
    cdell and BagLady like this.

I was hunting, fishing and trapping by the time I was eight. All three of our sons were on the shooting range with me by the time they were 5. I also taught all 3 of them to be able to survive no matter what the conditions were.

I still do all the repairs on our home including roofing and plumbing. I'm a little slower now than when I was 20 something, but at 66 and having lost a Kidney to Cancer last year, I'll still out work the majority of youngsters and plan on being able to do it for a long time to come.

I see younger guys everyday who can barely walk around the block with out looking like they're having a heart attack. People have gotten way too soft with all the creature comforts. And when the SHTF, the ones that are going to survive will be the old, mean and ugly farts like me.
    MrsInor, TG, just mike and 3 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Slippy View Post
    I thought it was interesting that a UK article came out about men being more like there mothers than their fathers leading to a decline in Do It Yourselfers. Add to that the fact that home ownership is in decline, out of wedlock births are increasing, marriages are in decline and children are being raised more and more by women and not men and you have a DIY recipe for extinction.

If I can't fix something you can bet your ass I'll tear the sumbitch up trying...then go out and buy a new one...

DIY is in decline because today's men are too soft - Telegraph
    That's another curse to befall us.
    Slippy likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

“A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.”

― Robert A. Heinlein
    I can't do all that of course but I agree with the sentiment. You should be able to do stuff, proper stuff, not just Excel spreadsheets.
    Rob Gray, aka Graynomad, living on the road since 2001, now homesteading, Hidden Content
    Scattered showers my arse -- Noah, 2348BC.

I was once traveling with a new hire in training for a sales position when we had a flat tire. He calmly pulls over to the side of the road, put the vehicle in park, takes out his phone and starts dialing. I ask what he is doing. He politely says he is calling his Dad to come fix the tire. I looked at him with amazement that quickly turned to anger. I was absolutely floored this 25 year old college puke wanted a job in sales, that requires traveling, alone, in Texas, could not change his own tire. I screamed at him to get the [email protected]#!%& out of the car and change the god damn tire yourself! I literally stood over him and talked him through the whole process. Now I am not a rocket mechanic. But if you can't do the simplest of tasks how do you expect to survive in this world. Needless to say we did not hire him.

Dumb Ass!
    " All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: Freedom, Justice, Honor, Duty, Mercy, Hope" .Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Seneca View Post
    I find watching wussified men trying to fix something entertaining as hell. Maybe I am sick and twisted for laughing at their antics. About a month ago, I watched three nerds trying to put up a sign at best buy. One nerd watched and fretted, one was constantly in the way and the third (the alpha nerd) kept screwing it up and starting over.
    Your post reminds me of a time I watched a group of 8 young guys try to put up a dome tent on a windy day. It got so bad I had to take pictures of it.

However, I think there are as many reasons for the lack of diy skills as there are people. This is a subject that hss interested me for a long time. So I will avoid writing a thesis here and simply say that there seems to be several major causes: broken homes - no man around, lifelong living in apartment buildings where they have no outlet for diy nor any reason to learn the skills, lack of the 'DIY Gene'. I know that as with other skills, many people will say there is no such thing, but I've seen too many cases of people with a total affinity for some skillset to doubt it seriously.
    BagLady likes this.
    I wouldn't want to be part of any organization that would allow me to be a member.

In Memorium
    Corporal Bradley Coy 06/08/92-10/24/14

Quote Originally Posted by graynomad View Post
    I can't do all that of course but I agree with the sentiment. You should be able to do stuff, proper stuff, not just Excel spreadsheets.
    Yeah, I'm shy a few of those skills, having not grown up where training was available, but I'm always willing to learn (and learn fast!). A hunger for knowledge is a big plus. I would add 'shoe a horse' to that list. Bob would have added being able to field strip and clean your weapon in the middle of a hurricane, but he took that for granted. Just as he did being able to shoot and hit what you're aiming at. I wish he could have met my father. The battle would have been epic. My dad simply assumed all that and that if you didn't know yhose skills you were likely too stupid to learn them.
    I wouldn't want to be part of any organization that would allow me to be a member.

In Memorium
    Corporal Bradley Coy 06/08/92-10/24/14

I ask what he is doing. He politely says he is calling his Dad to come fix the tire.
    I just shakes me head.

At least he didn't set off an EPIRB
    Rob Gray, aka Graynomad, living on the road since 2001, now homesteading, Hidden Content
    Scattered showers my arse -- Noah, 2348BC.

I've seen a female nurse from nyc have a patient she was transporting get out and change her flat tire. Don't know what was wrong with him though. On another occasion had to help push a mini van out of a tight space to get it on a tow truck. It sounded like it just needed a jump start. But the 20 something was a male social worker. So he deserves that bill.

I have seen it go both ways. Some people like to brag about how they can use a hammer or a screwdriver but their work looks like it was done by boxcar willie.

I thought they were in the process of getting rid of the EPIRB system? Oh I remember they just weren't going to monitor it or look for signals. That's why Malaysian airlines can't find that plane. They had ADT but they didn't pay for monitoring.
    I was on a boat that sank once. It was the most fun I've ever had.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links