Why build it? When you can buy it off the shelf? - Page 3
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Why build it? When you can buy it off the shelf?

This is a discussion on Why build it? When you can buy it off the shelf? within the DIY forums, part of the General Discussion category; Originally Posted by jimb1972 I sold 2 ARs that I put together in 2012 for $1500 a piece, Thanks Obama. I was laid off at ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Why build it? When you can buy it off the shelf?

Quote Originally Posted by jimb1972 View Post
    I sold 2 ARs that I put together in 2012 for $1500 a piece, Thanks Obama. I was laid off at the time. Took the upper off the lower called them parts and sent them down the road.
    If the lower was 100%, it wasn't a 'part'.
    Smitty901 likes this.
    Good morning! As you can see, my assassins have failed again.
    The Ultimate Prepper's E-Library can be found Hidden Content .
    Feel free to visit my YouTube page. Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by jimb1972 View Post
    I sold 2 ARs that I put together in 2012 for $1500 a piece, Thanks Obama. I was laid off at the time. Took the upper off the lower called them parts and sent them down the road.
    I know nit picking terms. The lower receiver is a weapon no madder what ,it is the serial numbered part that the ATF classifies as a weapon and not a part. It can never be made not a weapon by taking parts off it or out of it. The ATF is right now trying to wiggle in away to classify all parts as a weapon. It has not happened but they are trying. There test case in a 50 caliber upper.
    This is the part that is a weapon on it's own. Every thing else is a part. Some State may regulate sale and or possession of those other parts but they are not a weapon. Not under standing this could land you in a lot of trouble.
    PS: other parts may be serial numbered or have part of the serial number but that does not make them a weapon .

Name:  stripped lower.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  7.8 KB
    Last edited by Smitty901; 08-25-2018 at 02:48 PM.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

I started polishing because I could not afford a togishi. I wish I knew about home wiring, one of my friends tracks down problems and fixes the darkness for a few dollars worth of parts. I wish I could do things like that.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by budgetprepp-n View Post
    Seems like every time I DIY build something like a light or what ever someone has got ask,,
    Why build it if you can buy it off the shelf?

Because what I build is better than what you can buy off the shelf and when it's done I know what
    every part does and how to fix it. And,,,,,,,,

If you need to ask that question you wouldn't understand the anwser
    I think the real question is “why buy it off the shelf when you can build it?” As preppers I think a lot of us feel this way. When you can’t buy it off of the shelf your going to have to build it.

Quote Originally Posted by Chipper View Post
    I don't know,,,,,,, Parts are cheap also. $199 for a complete upper 129 for a complete lower? $329 and your shooting
    Or build your lower for $110 and a $199 upper use the 10% off coupon and it's like $287 <-- Hard to buy an AR that price.
    P.S.A.
    Cheap isn't always good. What about resale with home built weapons? So you saved 20-30 bucks and now have something you can't give away. Have you tried to sell or trade a home built at a shop or show??

Could you please post up some pictures of the groups your shooting with that $280 AR. I'm very curious to see how well they perform.
    Home builds can preform pretty well if you know what your doing. PSA can also surprise you. This is my 100 yard sight in target from my 16” home build pallmetto.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Why build it? When you can buy it off the shelf?-image_1543461065975.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Texas View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chipper View Post
    I don't know,,,,,,, Parts are cheap also. $199 for a complete upper 129 for a complete lower? $329 and your shooting
    Or build your lower for $110 and a $199 upper use the 10% off coupon and it's like $287 <-- Hard to buy an AR that price.
    P.S.A.
    Cheap isn't always good. What about resale with home built weapons? So you saved 20-30 bucks and now have something you can't give away. Have you tried to sell or trade a home built at a shop or show??

Could you please post up some pictures of the groups your shooting with that $280 AR. I'm very curious to see how well they perform.
    Home builds can preform pretty well if you know what your doing. PSA can also surprise you. This is my 100 yard sight in target from my 16” home build pallmetto.
    I might add that I built three of these. Kept two and the other parted ways for $250 more than what it cost to build. I’m not one for “safe queens”. I’m not going to break myself either on a Daniel defense and be scared to scratch it when I can build my own of slightly less quality (not much either) and use that extra money to buy ammo to become effective with it and still have plenty of rounds to put back for tough times. I do have one that’s a little more pricey that I bought when I first got into the AR game and as far as I can tell the only thing I can tell that is better quality is chrome lining in the 5R rifled barrel. I’ve taken it out to 600 yds with a 3x prism with bdc on man sized paper targets and am able to hit center mass. Never tried to stretch the palmettos past 200 but at that range I’m able to stay on 8” AR 500 steel consistently with open sights on both and one is a 10” pistol (super loud lol). What more do you really need?

I'm getting ready to build a Lawnmower engine 94 amp generator for supplementing my small solar farm on rainy and cloudy days. A few years ago when I put the solar panels in (Only 600 watts) it was 6 hours of charging a day with only a cloudy day every now and then...now its cloudy 6 days a week sometimes. I'll post lots of pics and parts acquisition links as I do....But why dont I buy it off the shelf? Cheapest one I found was about $3000...Mine is on order and cost me a grand total of $180 !

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Sponsored Links