Why build it? When you can buy it off the shelf? - Page 2
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Why build it? When you can buy it off the shelf?

This is a discussion on Why build it? When you can buy it off the shelf? within the DIY forums, part of the General Discussion category; Built two this week. Both mine. Both exactly the way I wanted....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Why build it? When you can buy it off the shelf?

Built two this week. Both mine. Both exactly the way I wanted.
    I'm a creep. I'm a weirdo. What the hell am I doing here. I don't belong here.

Quote Originally Posted by budgetprepp-n View Post
    I don't know,,,,,,, Parts are cheap also. $199 for a complete upper 129 for a complete lower? $329 and your shooting
    Or build your lower for $110 and a $199 upper use the 10% off coupon and it's like $287 <-- Hard to buy an AR that price.
    P.S.A.
    Here's that PSA pistol build I've been blabbering about. I did add the troy muzzle device, magpul handguard & grip. The end plate, sling, and qd attachment are from Acme machine in Ohio. The rear fold up site is a UTG pro slim. The optic is a Trijicon MRO.

Why build it? When you can buy it off the shelf?-20180824_223505.jpg
    SDF880 and budgetprepp-n like this.
    I'm a creep. I'm a weirdo. What the hell am I doing here. I don't belong here.

Quote Originally Posted by budgetprepp-n View Post
    I don't know,,,,,,, Parts are cheap also. $199 for a complete upper 129 for a complete lower? $329 and your shooting
    Or build your lower for $110 and a $199 upper use the 10% off coupon and it's like $287 <-- Hard to buy an AR that price.
    P.S.A.
    Cheap isn't always good. What about resale with home built weapons? So you saved 20-30 bucks and now have something you can't give away. Have you tried to sell or trade a home built at a shop or show??

Could you please post up some pictures of the groups your shooting with that $280 AR. I'm very curious to see how well they perform.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Time to assemble another AR. I had over looked a complete lower sitting in back of the vault . Swapped it out on a really good upper with a better lower and just sat it in back. Digging around yesterday looking for a part and there it was. Oh yea I remember that one.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Chipper View Post
    Cheap isn't always good. What about resale with home built weapons? So you saved 20-30 bucks and now have something you can't give away. Have you tried to sell or trade a home built at a shop or show??

Could you please post up some pictures of the groups your shooting with that $280 AR. I'm very curious to see how well they perform.
    I don't build to flip it. I build it to get exactly what I want.
    StratMaster likes this.
    It will be a great day when our schools have all the money they need, and politicians have to start selling candy bars and holding car washes to finance their campaigns.
    The Ultimate Prepper's E-Library can be found Hidden Content .
    Feel free to visit my YouTube page. Hidden Content

My usual reply to "why not just buy it", is, anyone can buy one.

I have assembled Ar's that are good weapons in the $500 range shop smart wait buy right know what you are buying. However they are not the weapons they $700-$800 dollar range ones are 4 MOA vs sub to one MOA is a major difference. Trigger function parts life span all come into play. That does not discount a lower cost weapon just what needs to be considered. Just as many $1000 ones and upper really do not offer much more than a well planed $800 dollar one does . Know what parts you are buying and how they work with other ones you are purchasing.
    I own a discount 220v Gas/fluc wire Mig welder. I am not going out and make a living with it. But for the minor repairs of mower decks a round here it works fine . Yes welding time is limits so it takes longer. It severs well for what it is intend for comes in handy with some motorcycle mods as well.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Chipper View Post

I been using PSA parts. No I haven't sold any of my builds If the lowers were bought under my name I won't sell them.
    But I have had some offers and I could have made money.
    Until now I just bought a lower and upper and slapped them together.
    This is my first "scratch" build. At least now I know I can fix anything on the rifle.

And PAS brand rifle barrels hold a OK pattern at 100 yards
    Taking your guns is like eating a whale,,,,,,One bite at a time

Quote Originally Posted by Mosinator762x54r View Post
    Here's that PSA pistol build I've been blabbering about. I did add the troy muzzle device, magpul handguard & grip. The end plate, sling, and qd attachment are from Acme machine in Ohio. The rear fold up site is a UTG pro slim. The optic is a Trijicon MRO.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180824_223505.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	183.0 KB 
ID:	81909
    Darn that's nice....... Where you buying your parts if I may ask?
    Taking your guns is like eating a whale,,,,,,One bite at a time

I sold 2 ARs that I put together in 2012 for $1500 a piece, Thanks Obama. I was laid off at the time. Took the upper off the lower called them parts and sent them down the road.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links