Anti Tick Pants - Page 3
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Anti Tick Pants

This is a discussion on Anti Tick Pants within the DIY forums, part of the General Discussion category; Originally Posted by Rabies permethrin??? Is that the name of the chemical or the product? how is it compared to deet??? Sounds like good stuff ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Anti Tick Pants

Quote Originally Posted by Rabies View Post
    permethrin???

Is that the name of the chemical or the product?
    how is it compared to deet???
    Sounds like good stuff if I can spray it on cloths and shoes like I do with Deet.
    Spray on clothes, not skin, let it dry, works/active for about a month, even if you wash clothes. It's not a repellent, it kills insects/ticks on contact. Do a search on it.

Concerning ticks, I was just on the Cornell website and found some good info on ticks.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Permethrin is the product name.

Quote Originally Posted by Tango2X View Post
    Permethrin is the product name.
    That is the generic chemical name of (±)-3-Phenoxybenzyl 3-(2,2-dichlorovinyl)-2,2-dimethylcyclopropanecarboxylate

It is in many products

Name:  permethrin label.png
Views: 24
Size:  151.5 KB

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Permethrin is the real deal... Even a "sturdy" tick will only last a few minutes.

Word of caution: If you have cats, keep them away from the clothing you're treating... it's safe after it dries/cures, but when it's wet it's very bad for cats.
    Mad Trapper likes this.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    -- The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security --
    ---------------------------------------------------------------

Tics will get to your skin whatever you are wearing. Where I hunt the woods are loaded with them. Like stated above, I found a product called Sawyers with permethrin in it. IT WORKS! Spray your clothes and boots and let it dry before you put them on and you are golden!
    Mad Trapper likes this.
    "In alcohol's defense, I've done some pretty dumb shit while completely sober too"!

Quote Originally Posted by keith9365 View Post
    Tics will get to your skin whatever you are wearing. Where I hunt the woods are loaded with them. Like stated above, I found a product called Sawyers with permethrin in it. IT WORKS! Spray your clothes and boots and let it dry before you put them on and you are golden!
    But Sawyer's costs $16.00 for a 24oz bottle of 0.5% solution. 5 gallons would cost ~$425

I make my own from the 10% concentrate I get from TSC (see pic above). That bottle costs $20 and can make 5-GALLONs of 0.5% solution.

The concentrate bottle has a dispenser where you can pour measured amounts . For $2-3 TSC also has graduated 1-L plastic spray bottles. Then get some distilled water at the grocery store and make your own spray solution. It's easy, put in 50-mL of concentrate in the spray bottle, dilute to 1-L (20X dilution). 5 gallons of mix will cost you about $25, $400 savings!

Store in cool dark place. I wrap the concentrate and spray bottles in aluminum foil to keep light out.

P.S. if you buy concentrate make sure it ONLY has permethrin as an active ingredient, some concentrates may have stuff you don't want on clothes/Yourself.

P.P.S. You can use it to kill other sorts of nasties: wasps/hornets, fleas, ants, roaches,......
    Last edited by Mad Trapper; 04-08-2019 at 09:21 AM.
    Annie likes this.

Super Moderator

Tick country here. If you see a bulls eye rash or if you feel like you have the flu after a tick bite don't mess around get on the antibiotics for one month.Ticks take 24 hours to attach themselves and they always do so at the highest point they can get to until some article of clothing stops them (usually the underpants). Just make sure to shower when you come in and put your clothing into the wash right away.
    keith9365 likes this.
    Hidden Content
    Let God arise, and let His enemies be scattered: and let them that hate Him flee from before His face. --Propers for Pentecost

Quote Originally Posted by Annie View Post
    Tick country here. If you see a bulls eye rash or if you feel like you have the flu after a tick bite don't mess around get on the antibiotics for one month.Ticks take 24 hours to attach themselves and they always do so at the highest point they can get to until some article of clothing stops them (usually the underpants). Just make sure to shower when you come in and put your clothing into the wash right away.
    I come home from the woods and run a bat of hot water and pour a half cup of bleach in just in case. It will help to get the critters off.
    Annie likes this.
    "In alcohol's defense, I've done some pretty dumb shit while completely sober too"!

Permethrin is a great choice, it does work. I use rose geranium oil. It makes it so you are invisible to the ticks. It's also natural so I don't have to worry about my dogs. If I had to go into a area with a lot of ticks and was going to be there awhile, I'd use Permethrin.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Sponsored Links