How to train an effective dog (SERIES) - Page 3
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

How to train an effective dog (SERIES)

This is a discussion on How to train an effective dog (SERIES) within the DIY forums, part of the General Discussion category; Originally Posted by Smokin04 Also curious...is there anything that people want to learn how to train their dog to do? I can bring up basic ...

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree87Likes

Thread: How to train an effective dog (SERIES)

Quote Originally Posted by Smokin04 View Post
    Also curious...is there anything that people want to learn how to train their dog to do? I can bring up basic training techniques and commands, but specialty stuff is what really gets challenging. Any thoughts from the crowd? I am almost avoiding teaching attack work to the community as I can just see that going wrong and someone getting bit or injured. I'm not sure I'd be okay with that.
    Ok so I have skimmed your posts, well a bit more than that. Here is my situation. I am choosing to get 2-3 dogs. At least one will be an Anatolian, and maybe 2 Kangals. If you are not familiar with these they are livestock guards. And I am not questioning your knowledge, its just they aren't common breeds. Supposedly instict is all natural and they know what to do. My big question is teaching a dog his/her perimeter and how not to leave it. Both these dogs are hyper aggressive towards a threat to their flock. I have a coyote and wolf issue. I don't want them to chase something for miles, but to the fence line only. Thanks for any help you can offer.
    Im memory of my brother and fellow Marine, Semper Fidelis. Rest well my friend

Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    Ok...gotcha thanks. He is also highly jealous of other animals and is a total glutton on treats. He jumped on the cat violently the other day when the cat got near his treat. Is that normal? What be the cure for that?
    That sounds like a dominance or food aggression trait. That can be normal for a dog that views themselves as the alpha. Food aggression is VERY difficult to repair as it is usually a response to a "one-trial learning" event that happened prior. It can be common amongst rescued dogs that were once running wild or with a pack. When they weren't the alpha, they had to fight for scraps. Hence the term, "dog eat dog". The "cure"? I don't know of a specific cure to food dominance. Simple things like eating BEFORE the dog, and feeding them separetly from other animals SHOULD reduce the urge to defend or exercise dominance over food. The isolation during feeding will reduce the "competition" that the dog feels.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalarast View Post
    First I have seen and learned some good stuff on this site - from reloading, to DIY, to how to break in a new guy - but this is perhaps the best thread I have read by far. At home I have a boxer... she is dumb as rocks; but also smart when she wants to be. I personally never had the time to properly work with her with deployments and such; but she is a great dog and has slowly calmed down. I will be saving this thread and even forwarding it to the wife as an email to start early; but I plan on using my RR time when I get home to begin some of these techniques. Great read and thanks for sharing!

Currently the only question/concern I do have is running with your dog. My dog is my running partner and I wonder if trying to train her to be a "proper" dog on a leash could be removed when I take her for a run. Or when training her on the leash should I also devote time to training her on the leash when running (if she pulls or leads stop and correct?)?
    Absolutely! Off leash obedience will come with proper training techniques and time along with repitition. Once the dog learns the heel, and then the walking heel, the natural "successive approximation" becomes the running heel. When corrections are effective, the dog enjoys learning. After using a 360" (30 foot) leash and the dog understands he can be corrected at distance, their off leash obedience will be amazing. Once this stage is reached, you can consider your dog in the "maintenance phase" of training. Wash, rinse, repeat, and enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by Denton View Post
    Smokin, that is some awesome instruction.

It is amazing how many people own dogs but have little to know idea how to train them or how enjoyable a well trained dog and its equally trained master can be.

Thanks for this training!
    Anytime brother.

Quote Originally Posted by TorontoGal View Post
    What kind of dog would you recommend for a small family with kids (ages 6 and 9 if that matters) ? We are very active
    Tough to say. What do you want from the dog. Every dog breed has their particular strengths and weaknesses. You should be honest as a family and have a discussion about what you REALLY want from a family pet. Honestly, the Shepherd line is a good all around choice. But when you figure out the specifics, let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeep View Post
    Ok so I have skimmed your posts, well a bit more than that. Here is my situation. I am choosing to get 2-3 dogs. At least one will be an Anatolian, and maybe 2 Kangals. If you are not familiar with these they are livestock guards. And I am not questioning your knowledge, its just they aren't common breeds. Supposedly instict is all natural and they know what to do. My big question is teaching a dog his/her perimeter and how not to leave it. Both these dogs are hyper aggressive towards a threat to their flock. I have a coyote and wolf issue. I don't want them to chase something for miles, but to the fence line only. Thanks for any help you can offer.
    An invisible fence does work wonders. There is a bit of training involved, but it's not difficult. The only downside to it is the price. For a large property, it can be quite pricey to install around the entire property. The other way is to teach the dog how to do a stand-off. I have debated on whether or not to get into attack training on this thread...I worry that if I do, someone will try some stuff and potentially hurt themselves or their dogs. So I've been debating on that for a while now and have yet to make a decision. The stand off is when you call the dog off when they're attacking something or someone. A stand off is used for situations exactly like you're mentioning. The dog is locked onto and pursuing or attacking...and the situation changes that could bring harm to the dog. You call the dog off and it should break off the pursuit or attack and return to the handler. The downside (because of successive approximation) is that the dog needs to know how to attack first...before you can teach them how to break off the attack. Make sense?

So I mentioned it twice in one post, What is successive approximation?

Put simply, successive approimation can be viewed as building blocks to training your dog. For instance, we start training our dogs with the "Sit" command. Once they know how to "Sit", then you have the basis in which to teach them to "heel" or the "down." Without learning the "Sit' first, you COULD teach the dog "down" or "heel" first, but it would be far more difficult. Humans use successive approximation all the time. We use it all the time when we learn. We don't learn to read first. We learn the alphabet, then we learn how to spell words, the we learn how to write sentences, gradually reading better and better as we go. Same with math...you don't start with calculus...we start with 1+1 and build up from there. But without the foundation of 1+1...we would never be able to grasp the concept of arithmetic at all. That is successive approximation. Dogs learn the same way. You as the dogs teacher should understand this concept and take a structured approach to teaching your dog. it will save you loads of frustration down the road.
    Last edited by Smokin04; 10-18-2014 at 04:11 PM.
    bigwheel, Jeep, Arklatex and 1 others like this.
    Only the dead have seen the end of war. - Plato

Fate whispers to the warrior, You cannot withstand the storm. The warrior replies, I am the storm.

Double dittos great thread. Thanks so much for sharing your expertise.
    Smokin04 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Yep I get it, I have a feeling I have a tough road ahead.
    Im memory of my brother and fellow Marine, Semper Fidelis. Rest well my friend

I'll amen that, bigwheel. It presents a good structured training regimen. I can also see where dog trainers become valuable- you've made all the mistakes as a rookie and you don't have to worry about getting your timing right or deciding what technique to use in any situation.
    I wouldn't want to be part of any organization that would allow me to be a member.

In Memorium
    Corporal Bradley Coy 06/08/92-10/24/14

Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    Great tutorial. Thanks. I am trying to get a crazy Shitzu named Bowzer to come when you call it. Any tips on that? He seems to be dumber than a box of rocks.
    Training with rewards works very well. Our shi-tzu (not the brightest bulb on the Christmas tree) will come running if he suspects there's a treat on the other end.
    I wouldn't want to be part of any organization that would allow me to be a member.

In Memorium
    Corporal Bradley Coy 06/08/92-10/24/14

Great thread. Well written.

Thank you.
    Only the dead have seen the end of war. - Plato

Fate whispers to the warrior, You cannot withstand the storm. The warrior replies, I am the storm.

I'm impressed! I've been training dogs professionally for the pat six years (obedience for family pets - not working dogs). You not only know your s**t but communicate it very effectively. I could learn a lot from you - thank you for your service and for sharing your experience!
    TG and Kahlan like this.

I do have one thing I always wondered about. How do y'all teach your dogs to be carried on your shoulders - specifically, what are the steps taken?

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links