Ammo Lock Box

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Ammo Lock Box

This is a discussion on Ammo Lock Box within the DIY forums, part of the General Discussion category; Has anyone tried these? I needed something to store my pistols and ammo in when traveling. These work great not just for ammo or guns ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Ammo Lock Box

Ammo Lock Box

Has anyone tried these? I needed something to store my pistols and ammo in when traveling.
    These work great not just for ammo or guns but anything you want to lock up
    The kit to do this is about $10 and it doesn't take a lot of skill to install.
    I'm giving these the budget seal of approval.
    Name:  ammoboxlock.jpg
Views: 222
Size:  11.0 KB
    rice paddy daddy and RedLion like this.
    Taking your guns is like eating a whale,,,,,,One bite at a time

Looks stout enough. My daughter went to college and wanted a box to store valuables, told her if its not bolted down they will take it and open somewhere else. Any box with a lock on it will draw attention if they case out your car. jmo. When I worked in NJ, I used a locked toolbox, yep, whoever saw that, busted out my window and took it.
    Last edited by 1skrewsloose; 06-13-2018 at 08:46 AM.
    MikeTango likes this.

yeh, they work but it's $20 total if you have to buy the box - there's better alternatives at that $$$ ...

another problem is the VERY obvious look - it absolutely screams gun storage - if you can disguise/hide into something like a pilots briefcase it helps ...

if you really want to go DIY - you can fab that lock kit out of a large bolt ...
    I llini WarriorHidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Illini Warrior View Post
    yeh, they work but it's $20 total if you have to buy the box - there's better
    another problem is the VERY obvious look - it absolutely screams gun storage - if you can disguise/hide into something like a pilots briefcase it helps ...
    alternatives at that $$$ ...

if you really want to go DIY - you can fab that lock kit out of a large bolt ...
    Well as I said this is for traveling and staying legal while traveling 2 lock boxes one for pistol one for ammo.
    in the trunk. I think this would cover most states
    So what alternatives have you found that's better for $20?
    Last edited by budgetprepp-n; 06-13-2018 at 02:11 PM.
    rice paddy daddy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 1skrewsloose View Post
    Looks stout enough. My daughter went to college and wanted a box to store valuables, told her if its not bolted down they will take it and open somewhere else. Any box with a lock on it will draw attention if they case out your car. jmo. When I worked in NJ, I used a locked toolbox, yep, whoever saw that, busted out my window and took it.
    maybe you should try keeping it out of sight.

Some people look for piratical useful ways to use a product.

Some look for a way to say anything negative about it

To comply with the law simple Nano Vaults work well. I use one on the bike And it is tethered with a cable to secure it but once open cable is easy to remove.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

I have seen ammo cans used as a lock box for decades. I think the item you showed has a clean look and is easier then the other latches I have seen to install DIY.

If you have tools /skills an ammo can and a large diameter bolt you can make it . Drill the hole in the bolt is the hardest part. Make it a thick bolt as you want a lot of metal and a big thick lock shank. Then drill your hole in the can and the cans latch. Insert bolt using washer inside and out a thin nut to hold in place . You need a chain or cable so that when you lock the box it is less likely to walk.

I have seen Metal gas cans modified - you can buy them as well.

Any thing that looks like a lock box in a vehicle will be thought to hold a gun. Camouflage / hiding is needed. Put this in the trunk. Bolted under the hood, under a seat. Some vehicles have body panels that have a space though maybe not this big.

I have several lockable cans in various sizes including one like you have showed. I like the Tuffy under the seat lock boxes for Jeep Wranglers.

Any and everything can be stolen if the thief has enough time.
    [1]Survival: Actions I need to do NOW to live another 5 minutes to 3 days.[2] Prepping: What I do to insure my family makes it thru an adverse event lasting 3 days to 3 months [3] Seeds and livestock: What you need for long term subsistence.

Not sure if it has been said but you can bolt them down in the trunk.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Slippy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by budgetprepp-n View Post
    Well as I said this is for traveling and staying legal while traveling 2 lock boxes one for pistol one for ammo.
    in the trunk. I think this would cover most states
    So what alternatives have you found that's better for $20?

there's all kinds of keyed steel lock boxes for $20 - the simplest portable fire safe is even doable at $20 ....
    I llini WarriorHidden Content

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links