Power Supply Point
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Power Supply Point

This is a discussion on Power Supply Point within the DIY forums, part of the General Discussion category; I am going to build a power station. You have probably seen them for sale or on YouTube. It would provide the following power connections: ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Power Supply Point

Power Supply Point

I am going to build a power station. You have probably seen them for sale or on YouTube. It would provide the following power connections: USB, 12v plug and 110v connections. There would also be a solar input port for charging the battery. The 110v will be an inverter that I have not figured out the output port. I slowly ordered the parts off of EBay from China and US sellers over winter.

The reason I want the power supply is to use while camping, doing things as a family and also for post SHTF. Depending on what the SHTF is, it could be used to power your equipment like communications and help a neighbor out during a community patrol. The power supply will have the ability to charge from solar during halts.
    During a SHTF your community and surrounding areas are your eyes and ears. It would pay to identify those neighbors who are friendly and have the intelligence to identify threats. You in return offer gifts of rice, beans and of course a temporary power source. You could also give them an FRS/GMRS radio to call you with if they identify an emergency.

You always want to identify a threat away from the homestead or base camp. You fight away on your terms not on your doorstep on an enemies terms.

I am posting some pictures. I am having a problem deciding on which container to house the guts. The fishing box would allow 4 batteries, the black saw box could house 3 batteries and the file box holding 1 battery. Things would be tight in the file box. You can see in the pictures the various components.

I'll enclose a few pics of the 80 watt portable solar panel that will be used with this power supply.

Any opinions on what housing to use or other suggestions?

Power Supply Point-fish-box.jpg

Power Supply Point-group.jpg

Power Supply Point-saw-box-open.jpg

Power Supply Point-saw-box.jpg

Power Supply Point-parts-2.jpg

Power Supply Point-parts.jpg
    patrioteer, Denton, Slippy and 3 others like this.
    A prudent man foresees evil and hides himself, But the simple pass on and are punished. Proverbs 22:3 NKJV

Here is the 80 watt solar panel. I got it off of Amazon for $150. eBays prices sucked for these style of panels. I don't know why but it came with a male 12v plug. I had to order two female plugs and make an adapter which works fine.

Power Supply Point-80-watt-panel.jpg

Power Supply Point-71byraihhdl._sl1000_.jpg

Power Supply Point-80-watt-panel-folded.jpg

Power Supply Point-61ajrfgibbl._sl1000_.jpg
    patrioteer, Camel923 and RedLion like this.
    A prudent man foresees evil and hides himself, But the simple pass on and are punished. Proverbs 22:3 NKJV

I have a couple 4200mah 155wh portable power units I bought off of Amazon. Think I paid about $150 or so each without any solar charger, which I have been thinking about adding. Either that or a very small wind turbine. How much does it cost to build a DIY power station?
    RedLion likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by patrioteer View Post
    How much does it cost to build a DIY power station?
    Not as bad as you think as long as you don't have to have name brand parts. The battery was the most expensive part at $30.00. The inverters were cheap. The black one came off eBay for around $10.00 and the other came from a local auction for $3.00(I had to make a power cord). The solar regulator was from an eBay auction from china with a winning bid of $3.00. The fuse box $6.00, a large assortment of connectors and fuses came from China for a couple dollars each package. The only thing I bought local to my area was a grounding bar and that came from Home Depot.

I bought most everything over winter here and there. Nothing in a hurry. Now I have to assemble everything. When I get extra pocket money I want to buy another battery.

I am leaning towards the large fishing box as the body. It has the size that I can expand things if needed. I have an extra MOLLE 2 rucksack frame to attach it to for carrying(patrol).
    patrioteer and RedLion like this.

I have a couple 4200mah 155wh portable power units I bought off of Amazon. Think I paid about $150 or so each
    Post a picture or link if you would. I don't quite know what you are talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by MaterielGeneral View Post
    Post a picture or link if you would. I don't quite know what you are talking about.

Mine is a different brand but must have been made by the same company as it looks the same and has the same specs.

https://www.amazon.com/AIMTOM-Portab...p+power+supply

Mine is a different brand but must have been made by the same company as it looks the same and has the same specs.

https://www.amazon.com/AIMTOM-Portab...p+power+supply
    Looks pretty interesting but small. It said it was 42000mAh. The battery I bought was 15 amp hour. I don't really know the differences.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    patrioteer likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MaterielGeneral View Post
    Looks pretty interesting but small. It said it was 42000mAh. The battery I bought was 15 amp hour. I don't really know the differences.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    42000mAh = 42Ah.
    patrioteer likes this.
    Keep calm and try setting SCE to AUX.
    The Ultimate Prepper's E-Library can be found Hidden Content .
    Feel free to visit my YouTube page. Hidden Content

Combo of wind and solar makes sense in that your expanding the energy input services. Solar does not charge at night but the wind is usually blowing sufficiently. On days without sufficient wind you have solar. Sound reasoning to me. The only negative with a wind turbine is it sticks out.
    patrioteer likes this.
    Blessed be God, my rock who trains my hands for battle, my fingers for war. Psalms 144:1

Victory can depend on a dog or a goose---Napoleon

Quote Originally Posted by Camel923 View Post
    Combo of wind and solar makes sense in that your expanding the energy input services. Solar does not charge at night but the wind is usually blowing sufficiently. On days without sufficient wind you have solar. Sound reasoning to me. The only negative with a wind turbine is it sticks out.
    Not to hijack this thread, but I was thinking that same thing. My plan was to take a small turbine and mount it on the roof on the backside of my house, which is dense with vegetation eight months a year and only visible from very limited places and angles. I was also wondering if one could adapt a turbine to something like this. Every roof in my neighborhood has one and they always seem to be spinning.

Name:  structure.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  57.2 KB

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links