My opinion about compound bows for survival - Page 7
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

My opinion about compound bows for survival

This is a discussion on My opinion about compound bows for survival within the Crossbows, Compound, Longbow, Slingshots, Airsoft, Slings, Blowguns forums, part of the Weapons, Protection, Self Defense, Hand to Hand Combat category; Originally Posted by Blackcat No MOA at 1000 yards ? Actually bows can be quite accurate out to 1000 yards competitively. When I read this ...

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7
Like Tree58Likes

Thread: My opinion about compound bows for survival

Quote Originally Posted by Blackcat View Post

No MOA at 1000 yards ? Actually bows can be quite accurate out to 1000 yards competitively.
    When I read this I said to myself "Mark, (Mark always talks to Mark in First person) that is BS!"

After doing some research.. there is a 1,000 yard record set over 300 years ago.... so I doubt that 1,000 yard shots are common place...

most LONG DISTANCE shooting is between 100- 300 yards... longer distances require a helper to let the shooter know they are at the proper angle
    Be a Berean

Quote Originally Posted by Maine-Marine View Post
    When I read this I said to myself "Mark, (Mark always talks to Mark in First person) that is BS!"

After doing some research.. there is a 1,000 yard record set over 300 years ago.... so I doubt that 1,000 yard shots are common place...

most LONG DISTANCE shooting is between 100- 300 yards... longer distances require a helper to let the shooter know they are at the proper angle
    Not that it matters all that much, since this thread is almost a year old, but the current record for longest accurate archery shot is held by an armless archer at a hair over 930 feet. That's 310 yards for those keeping score at home.
    If you think about it, this armless archer might be the only human to be able to pull off this shot because he uses the largest muscle groups in the body to shoot a much stronger bow. I doubt we'll ever see an archer beat this using their arms, which are considerably weaker than leg and back muscles.

A 1000yd shot from a non-assisted bow held by a human is impossible. A trebuchet could likely do it, but not a handheld bow. The physics just don't play well.
    Jakthesoldier likes this.
    "Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." - H. L. Mencken

I agree with you Kauboy ,
    Hidden Content
    GOD Bless The South , The best things in life are Hidden Content ,Hidden Content ,Hidden Content , prayer , 2nd Amendment , my wife , not all in the order .

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

I really want to get a SHFT survival / hunting bow, but I really don't want a compound bow. They're too big and bulky to carry around, along with a BOB or other supplies. I've been thinking about something like this Spectre compact bow. http://www.readytribe.com/the-best-survival-bow. Any thoughts on that one or another smaller, lighter weight bow that could work?

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRobins74 View Post
    I really want to get a SHFT survival / hunting bow, but I really don't want a compound bow. They're too big and bulky to carry around, along with a BOB or other supplies. I've been thinking about something like this Spectre compact bow. The Best Survival Bow ? Ready Tribe. Any thoughts on that one or another smaller, lighter weight bow that could work?
    I looked it up , it looks ok to me for a back up plan in your BOB .
    Hidden Content
    GOD Bless The South , The best things in life are Hidden Content ,Hidden Content ,Hidden Content , prayer , 2nd Amendment , my wife , not all in the order .

Same bow I used in mid 80-s, I shot arrows until they were bare aluminum. 20 30 40 50-yrd course/range, until I hit 3 in a row 4" bulls eyes ( actually could not afford targets then, feed bags, hit the 4" cow) at each target. A Golden Eagle bow , easton XX75 fletched shafts, and hunting tips

Awesome. Thanks for checking it out for me. I'll definitely put it on the short list.

I love guns and archery. In a survival situation I would prefer a re-curve bow to anything else with the understanding I didn't need it for self defense but for protein.

1) There Quiet
    I have seen people miss there animal and have a second chance just due to the fact the animal had no idea what was happening and the shot did not spook.

2) Simple
    unlike compound bows they are simple and easy to repair but less likely to break or have a problem.

3) Reusable Ammunition:
    I shoot a compound as of right now and I have been shooting the same arrows for three years. I am finally down to three good ones after starting with a half dozen.

The one problem is a re-curve takes time and practice to become effective.

For bows, with my physical limitations, I went for cross and compound first. I have an older Bear compound in the process of being rigged for bow fishing and a recently-purchased cross bow for other stuff. I used to have a Bear recurve years ago, 45lb, and I would like to get another for just in case. I love options...and backups...and backup options.

I'm not great with a bow. I'd need lots of practice just to be passable for close-in work with a recurve or compound bow. Of course, bow fishing isn't generally a long-range affair. I'm hoping the cross bow helps me be more accurate out a little further.

However, there's no guaranty that I will be alone when I bug out so, either way, since I have plenty of other options already, I don't mind spending a few dollars on a few stringed options. Who knows, I might look at spears and atlatls next .

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7

Sponsored Links