Thinking about a compound bow
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Thinking about a compound bow within the Crossbows, Compound, Longbow, Slingshots, Airsoft, Slings, Blowguns forums, part of the Weapons, Protection, Self Defense, Hand to Hand Combat category; Curious if anyone has any recommendations on a compound bow. I see a lot of used ones on Craigslist, it seems many hunters buy a ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Thinking about a compound bow

Curious if anyone has any recommendations on a compound bow. I see a lot of used ones on Craigslist, it seems many hunters buy a new one frequently and depreciation is drastic. I have my old long bow that I am a fair shot with, but would like a little more range and power. I already have a decent number of arrows for the long bow (aluminum)
    A Watchman likes this.
    "A man convinced against his will, is of the same opinion still."- The wise words of Benjamin Franklin.

I'm thinking of a cross bow. Then I'd hit the garage sales for "used bolts." It's just my paranoia...
    jimb1972 likes this.
    ...No matter where you are it's enemy territory...

Most recent compound bow I bought was a top of the line bow tec for my son. Man is it sweet. Then my after two hunting seasons He buys a Raven r-15 cross bow that blows it out of the water. Last season he shot a turkey a 70 yards with the raven. They are not cheap or bargain basement tools but they perform. Period.
    Last edited by Camel923; 02-07-2019 at 04:57 PM.
    jimb1972 and dwight55 like this.
    Blessed be God, my rock who trains my hands for battle, my fingers for war. Psalms 144:1

Victory can depend on a dog or a goose---Napoleon

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by The Tourist View Post
    I'm thinking of a cross bow. Then I'd hit the garage sales for "used bolts." It's just my paranoia...
    I can see the advantage of a crossbow, any injury to either arm could make a compound bow useless. Have you seen anything crossbow related at garage sales? I go fairly often, don't think I have ever seen much of that type of stuff for sale.
    "A man convinced against his will, is of the same opinion still."- The wise words of Benjamin Franklin.

Quote Originally Posted by Camel923 View Post
    Most recent compound bow I bought was a top of the line bow tec for my son. Man is it sweet. Then my after a two hunting seasons He buys a Raven r-15 cross bow that blows it out of the water. Last season he fool a turkey a 70 yards with the raven. They are not cheap or bargain basement tools but they perform. Period.
    My only concern with a crossbow is reload time, compound is fast.

Quote Originally Posted by jimb1972 View Post
    My only concern with a crossbow is reload time, compound is fast.
    Considering the power and the superior acquisition of the cross bow, who says we need a second shot? You can also sit completely covered and fire through any break in the foliage.
    dwight55 and Smitty901 like this.
    ...No matter where you are it's enemy territory...

I want a crossbow to, mind if I listen in?
    dwight55 and hawgrider like this.
    I will choose to enjoy the journey that God has prepared for me. Hidden Content

If you have hunted with both, . . . I cannot understand ANY reason for the compound, . . . other than my old "they're not sporting" rant I used to use.

Don't use that rant any more, . . . and am some kind of serious about getting a really good crossbow maybe later this year.

May God bless,
    Dwight
    hawgrider and jimb1972 like this.
    If you can breathe, . . . thank God.

If you can read, . . . thank a teacher.

If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a veteran.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Bows are one of those things they are always coming out with a new latest and greatest. Big money ones drop in value fast. So shop wise if you know what your are buying you can grab a good used deal. If yu don't know what you are getting into you can end up with junk for a lot of money.
    If you live in a cross bow friendly place then it maybe a good option . Some see cross bows as cheating. I have no stand on the issue as for me it is not about sport , but the harvest.
    jimb1972 likes this.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Camel923 View Post
    Most recent compound bow I bought was a top of the line bow tec for my son. Man is it sweet. Then my after a two hunting seasons He buys a Raven r-15 cross bow that blows it out of the water. Last season he fool a turkey a 70 yards with the raven. They are not cheap or bargain basement tools but they perform. Period.
    The Ravin 15 was updated to the r - 20 and it starts out at 2500. The Mission Sub 1 starts at 1600. I want a killer compound without the killer price.
    I will choose to enjoy the journey that God has prepared for me. Hidden Content

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links