Useing your Comms gear
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Useing your Comms gear

This is a discussion on Useing your Comms gear within the Communications forums, part of the Urban and Rural Survival category; How many folks here on this forum, actually turn on their HAM gear and use it? That is providing you are a licensed HAM operator? ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Useing your Comms gear

Useing your Comms gear

How many folks here on this forum, actually turn on their HAM gear and use it? That is providing you are a licensed HAM operator? Or how many turn on any COMMs gear and try to use it to maintain familiarity? Whether it is CB, FRS< GRMS or MURS!
    Renec likes this.

Daily...couple of nets....Little DX at night on 160-80 and 40...little DX in day at times on 20 and 30 meters. Run a lot of Code and digital.
    Renec likes this.

I charged one of my handheld units and contacted my local HAM net today. I monitor more than talk and usually only in sever weather events. Seldom switch on my vehicle mounted unit.

I did not like that fire/ EMS/ Dispatch/ sheriff went to a narrow band my equipment used to work on all of their channels. Those I used to monitor and spoke on a couple times a month. Last house fire I saw I had to use my cell phone to report , the dispatcher did tell me on the phone that he did hear my radio call but I was unable to hear him .
    [1]Survival: Actions I need to do NOW to live another 5 minutes to 3 days.[2] Prepping: What I do to insure my family makes it thru an adverse event lasting 3 days to 3 months [3] Seeds and livestock: What you need for long term subsistence.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

I use mine occasionally, more in the summer.

It all depends on things that need to be done.

Mostly on 40 meters SSB with a friend who moved to Florida.

Push a roughly KW into a dipole when needed.

I actually spend more time SWLing of various propaganda organs from around the world.

My comm shack pics

Useing your Comms gear-shelter-update-5-17-004.jpgUseing your Comms gear-shelter-update-5-17-003.jpg
    Last edited by SOCOM42; 11-01-2017 at 07:11 PM.

SOCOM, you are the envy of this former 18E. I know you know that stuff better than I so hats off to you brother man. Wish you were closer and in my network of preppers.
    MaterielGeneral, SOCOM42 and Renec like this.

Been worried about OpSec so I don't use it much, mostly just copy the mail. Local group has about 6-8
    hams and we're trying to set up a net just to get the experience so when we need it, we actually know
    how. Biggest problem is distance between group. On the repeaters, no big deal. But the odds of
    having a repeater during SHTF is pretty remote. I've been saving my pennies to buy something to use
    for cross country but need advice (hint, hint SOCOM) on what band. No thinking about something with
    maybe 50 watts on 2m and 70cm and an antenna to go up on my telescoping flag pole. I'm already about
    200-300 feet above the valley but I need to talk with another prepper about 13 miles away. Unfortunately
    I have a peak that is at least 200 foot taller between us.
    Renec likes this.
    I really want one of these!Hidden Content

Good Morning from Georgia! I started this thread to see who actually uses their gear. I use mine on a daily basis. I am only on 2m right now. Budgetary constraints keeps me from the HF side right now. Yes I am GENERAL ticket holder working on my EXTRA. I generally use my 2m in my truck as I am always talking someone about 15-30 miles away and usually on simplex as well. The main reason I like simplex is because in the event of a grid down there might be any repeaters to use. Just an opinion. But I am working on a HF side as soon as $ opens up. Looking at the YAESU FT8900 right now then at the YAESU FT450 or ICOM IC-718.
    Renec likes this.

I am still working on my CB gear. I have a CB in my truck but little traffic besides semi's and I kinda like it that way. For the house I was able to get a 110v/12v base station. I have a 40' tower I am working on. My buddy and I are working on building a base plate to mount to the existing mount in the ground. The tower and existing ground mount do not match up.

I need to buy an antenna for my 12v MGRS so that I can make it foot portable or in the house and ran up the tower. It has the same PL-259/SO-239 style plugs. For you radio jocks, do you think a no ground plane CB antenna would work on the MGRS or would it be to risky to hit the transmit switch to check it with an SWR meter?
    Renec likes this.
    A prudent man foresees evil and hides himself, But the simple pass on and are punished. Proverbs 22:3 NKJV

Quote Originally Posted by RJAMES View Post
    I charged one of my handheld units and contacted my local HAM net today. I monitor more than talk and usually only in sever weather events. Seldom switch on my vehicle mounted unit.

I did not like that fire/ EMS/ Dispatch/ sheriff went to a narrow band my equipment used to work on all of their channels. Those I used to monitor and spoke on a couple times a month. Last house fire I saw I had to use my cell phone to report , the dispatcher did tell me on the phone that he did hear my radio call but I was unable to hear him .
    I don't necessarily want a radio but more a scanner. If reception is similar then my choice would be a portable model. If price is comparable then I would choose the radio. I would like to get something to monitor all of the local and state first responders and 911 dispatch. Anybody got a basic price for round about would like? I probably need to check the local ham club and see what type of net everyone uses. I know the Michigan State Police went digital. I think that forced everyone else to follow suit. That's all I know.
    A prudent man foresees evil and hides himself, But the simple pass on and are punished. Proverbs 22:3 NKJV

VHF/UHF Mobile: Daily
    VHF/UHF Fixed: once or twice a week
    VHF/UHF Portable: once or twice a week

HF Mobile: a few times a week
    HF Fixed: a few times a month

HF Fixed: a few times a month
    Renec likes this.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    -- The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security --
    ---------------------------------------------------------------

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links