APRS - To report your position or not?
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on APRS - To report your position or not? within the Communications forums, part of the Urban and Rural Survival category; I'm looking into the next leap in Ham Gear and pondering the APRS feature. APRS is Automatic Packet Reporting System or as some call it ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: APRS - To report your position or not?

I'm looking into the next leap in Ham Gear and pondering the APRS feature. APRS is Automatic Packet Reporting System or as some call it Automatic Position Reporting System.

Google Maps APRS

Basically it allows a radio (that is equipped) to send back your GPS position using a series of repeaters and sub audible frequencies so you can be followed on a map. I like the feature because when I go out on a walk-about in the wilderness, anytime I can get a signal from a hill top, I can report my position. That makes it easy for the spousal unit to know where I am and, God forbid, it cuts down the SAR time if I'm stranded / injured / MIA for too long. I like that.

On the flip side....... How do you know it is OFF when you want it to be OFF? Is anyone watching? Am I always tracked even when out of cell range?
    KG7NDC

The only thing that separates man from animal is our affinity for toilet paper.
    Once we as a society lose that affinity we begin to descend back into the animal kingdom, and after three or more days you will find the food chain beginning to invert on itself.

Banned

Deleted
    Last edited by tinkerhell; 01-01-2016 at 07:16 AM.
    Renec likes this.

The only way to truly know it is off is to remove the batteries.
    Renec, SGG, darsk20 and 2 others like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Banned

Deleted
    Last edited by tinkerhell; 01-01-2016 at 07:17 AM.
    darsk20 and Renec like this.

I've come to the realization that between my cell phone, the computer in my vehicles, and other devices, "THEY" pretty much know approximately where I am at all times.

Do I like it? Hell no. Can I do some small things to make it harder to track me? Hell Yes. But I'm damn sure not better than "THEM" as much as I like to think...
    darsk20, A Watchman, Renec and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Slippy View Post
    I've come to the realization that between my cell phone, the computer in my vehicles, and other devices, "THEY" pretty much know approximately where I am at all times.

Do I like it? Hell no. Can I do some small things to make it harder to track me? Hell Yes. But I'm damn sure not better than "THEM" as much as I like to think...
    People say I'm nutty for thinking this but you know all of the things you buy at the store - like potato chips and ammo - have an RFID chip in them, right? Well they can drive a van down your street and know how many bags of potato chips you have based off of RFID responses.

So naturally, I'm a little skep about anything else that GPS's you like phones and cars etc. Last thing I want to do is give them one more way to keep tabs.
    Renec and Slippy like this.
    KG7NDC

The only thing that separates man from animal is our affinity for toilet paper.
    Once we as a society lose that affinity we begin to descend back into the animal kingdom, and after three or more days you will find the food chain beginning to invert on itself.

None of my HF, VHR, UHF transceivers have location hardware.
    I don't trust any of the manufactures, location x-missions could be hidden from you.
    If your in trouble and have any sort of comm device, they can DF this signal instantly when you call for help.
    They can respond if they don't care about compromising themselves.
    Spectrum analyzers and ADF's are quite efficient in locating your emissions.
    If you are a geek sheeple and want to play fox hunt, be my guest.
    GTGallop likes this.

I've looked at some APRS stuff..and it may come in handy. I prefer something like that to be modular so that it can be used only when needed. I have some hardware I'm tinkering with,but it's not ready for prime time yet. I'll let you know when I've got mine sorted out. on a side note..battery low on laptop,so i'm off for the night!
    GTGallop likes this.
    “A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.”- Robert A. Heinlein

Definite NO.
    "It does not take a majority to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." ~ Samuel Adams

Banned

Deleted
    Last edited by tinkerhell; 01-01-2016 at 07:18 AM.
    GTGallop and Renec like this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links