Post Pics of your radios; Ham, SW, CB, etc
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Post Pics of your radios; Ham, SW, CB, etc within the Communications forums, part of the Urban and Rural Survival category; Title says it all, post pics of what you have; to keep abreast of the news, communicate with others and any other purpose you have ...

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree93Likes

Thread: Post Pics of your radios; Ham, SW, CB, etc

Title says it all, post pics of what you have; to keep abreast of the news, communicate with others and any other purpose you have them for. Show us your Hams, your short waves, CBs, other two-ways and broadcast radios. Give us a little write-up about it, how you acquired it, why you chose that particular model and what you like or don't like about it.

I have a lot of radios but, I won't post them all at once. Maybe one every couple weeks or so. I want to see what you have also.

I prefer old simple radios (usually analog, not digital) as that is what I'm experienced with and can actually work on if need be.

This one is a Kenwood R-300 and is my go-to radio for general shortwave listening. I bought it on ebay from a seller in Quebec and got a good deal on it. I didn't know anything about the R-300 until seeing them on ebay and so I started reading about them and decided one was for me. I watched several sell for pretty high prices and finally found this one which no one seemed to be interested in. Maybe because it was in Canada and they were scared off by international shipping. Well that really isn't bad just from Canada to the U.S. So I got it at a very reasonable price, around $80 about 10 years ago or so. And when it arrived and I opened her up, she looked brand new!

It is a general coverage HF receiver from about 1600 KHz to 30 MHz. Produced in Japan from 1976-1979 and even at 16 pounds was actually considered a portable! It has a carry handle on one end and a battery compartment in the bottom that holds 8 "D" cells. I have never used batteries in this one but, maybe I should to find out how long they would last if we were to lose power for a while. It has a plug for household AC which is how I use it and a plug for a 13.8 volt power supply if desired.

It has good sensitivity to pick up distant stations and with the narrow band selector it separates weak stations so you can hear them with minimal interference from a crowded frequency band. The audio circuitry is very good and with the built in speaker it sounds good (better than most) but, plugging in a stereo quality speaker in the audio jack on the back gives excellent audio. I can sit there and spin the dials for hours.

Last edited by Boss Dog; 07-05-2015 at 11:32 PM.
    And he will be a wild man; his hand will be against every man, and every man's hand against him;... Genesis 16:12

Here is a pic of the station a few weeks ago. It's changed a little now. I am always going though radios, except for my base FTdx-1200

And before I scare anyone from ham radio...I have been doing this since the early 90's so my collection is fairly extensive by choice. You can do a whole lot for a lot less money and less equipment!

Post Pics of your radios; Ham, SW, CB, etc-shack.jpg

Nobody else?

OK, here is what I currently use for CB. It has a switch combination that someone installed to add about 60 or 70 more "channels" above and below normal CB frequencies. I found the instructions for it online and have been considering reversing it but, may just sell it and use one of my Johnson mobiles instead to safe a little shelf space.

Last edited by Boss Dog; 07-05-2015 at 11:34 PM.
    Arklatex and GTGallop like this.
    And he will be a wild man; his hand will be against every man, and every man's hand against him;... Genesis 16:12

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

I still have an old radio shack cb from around 2000. I get it out and plan on hooking it up but never get to it. I also have a uniden 900 mhz scanner in my truck right now. I have not programmed any frequencies yet and just let it scan predefined ranges. I also have a uniden 512 mhz scanner because i don't feel like spending $100 on something new when this still works, its from 1997.

But what this thread is really about is amatuer radio, so i have a baufong. I am looking forward to taking the test but the only places are the next state over.

Will add a few of mine when I can.

I have a Yaesu 857 D, can I com 2820 H with the dstar. My antennas consists of a diamond v800 antenna and a hombrew yagi antenna with a 20 dB gain.
    I also have a gv5r antenna mounted 45 feet in the air.
    I have three handhelds I com 51a kenwood dh72a with aprs and tnc and one beofang radio. I will post pics when I can figure out how to rotate them.
    Last edited by exmilitary; 01-08-2015 at 05:59 AM.
    survival and Renec like this.

Cobra in-car CB, compact, simple, cheap.
    Baofeng UV5r, not yet licensed to push the Tx button. :-(
    Uniden(?) crank radio that can pick up SW.

The crank radio actually surprised me. It was a gift from my grandmother, so I figured it was just a standard radio with weather bands.
    Then one day I noticed the "SW" on the selector. Flipped over, and I was immediately listening to a station in Havana. Blew my mind.
    "Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." - H. L. Mencken

I have a uniden cb in the truck. Several midland 2 way radios, an older eton crank radio and the uv5r that has the upgraded Nagoya antenna. In the same boat as Kauboy with the transmit button. Soon I will have my tech license.
    hayden likes this.

CB's are great tools for communications! A lot of arrogant hams are dismissive of CB's. I started with CB when I was 12 or so and then moved to ham radio. I still use a CB when I am in my truck and need to travel a lot. I do wish CB's had an idiot filter in them to remove the freaks on them, haha.

By the way, how did you all insert a large picture? Mines all puny and I have envy now!!

Boss Dog,

I don't know how to like a post, but that's a good looking CB

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links