Help with SSB
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Help with SSB

This is a discussion on Help with SSB within the Communications forums, part of the Urban and Rural Survival category; The following radio was recommended to me but not from a prepping source. I actually have no idea what I would do with this or ...

Like Tree14Likes
  • 2 Post By woodchipper518
  • 3 Post By Crunch
  • 1 Post By Crunch
  • 5 Post By SOCOM42
  • 1 Post By Boss Dog
  • 2 Post By Smitty901

Thread: Help with SSB

Help with SSB

The following radio was recommended to me but not from a prepping source. I actually have no idea what I would do with this or where it fits into my group's communications plan. Can anyone enlighten me as to why I would want/need this and maybe a SHTF scenario... I have a technician License but know zippo about this specialty item.

https://countycomm.com/collections/r...-purpose-radio

Thanks.
    Slippy and Renec like this.

Quote Originally Posted by woodchipper518 View Post
    The following radio was recommended to me but not from a prepping source. I actually have no idea what I would do with this or where it fits into my group's communications plan. Can anyone enlighten me as to why I would want/need this and maybe a SHTF scenario... I have a technician License but know zippo about this specialty item.

https://countycomm.com/collections/r...-purpose-radio

Thanks.
    Just a tech myself and I can't come up with any reason to get that radio. I could see getting an HF radio for a vehicle and setting it up to work in your shack or truck, but handheld I doubt the antenna is going to pick up distant transmissions very well. I am sure someone more knowledgeable will be along soon.
    "A man convinced against his will, is of the same opinion still."- The wise words of Benjamin Franklin.

SSB would mostly be for listening to HF amateur radio operators, although the military still uses it for some routine traffic I think. Most shortwave broadcast stations, Voice of America, Radio Havana, WWCR, BBC World Service, etc, use regular AM. Might be useful for getting news or reports from other areas or countries if you can sort out the real info from the propaganda. That's my plan anyway, but I don't own that particular radio. Back in the late 90's / early 2000's there use to be a lot of survival/prepper shows on shortwave, Power Hour, Chuck Harding (sp?), and others. Some militia oriented stuff too. Haven't tuned in recently to see what's left now but there's shortwave listening guides online that have show descriptions and dates/time. An all mode HF transceiver has been on my wishlist for a long while, but not a ham, no long distance family/friends that are either, and no interest in talking to strangers so it's pretty low on the list.
    MountainGirl, SOCOM42 and Renec like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Crunch View Post
    .... An all mode HF transceiver has been on my wishlist for a long while, but not a ham, no long distance family/friends that are either, and no interest in talking to strangers so it's pretty low on the list.
    Mine too. Any particular one you're looking at?

Quote Originally Posted by MountainGirl View Post
    Mine too. Any particular one you're looking at?
    Not really, I own a couple Yeasu 2 meter radios that have been reliable, and I hear the Yeasu HF ones are pretty good too so I'd probably go with them.
    MountainGirl likes this.

This is just a generl coverage Short Wave and Ham band receiver.Its based on and SDR ( Software Defined RAdio) Chip set, so they make it small and cheap.

It would probably be OK for listening to AM Broadcast and close HAM stations. I doubt if it has very good sensitivity to pick up weak and distance stations. But you would not know until you tried. The built in antennas would be minimal use, but you always put a bigger wire antenna on it (100' piece of wire with an alligator clip)

I would not pay $90 for it unless I could try it first.

It would be ok for post SHTF to monitor assorted voice station to find out what is going on.

Myself I have an AOR, AR8000 that covers the same frequencies, and I have the 100 foot wire antenna for which you need.

Mine is around 15 years old and still works fine.

I use 20 meter USB to talk to a friend in Florida, sometimes @ 100 watts other times @ 800.

At night and early evening I monitor different stations on HF with my Yaesu FRG-100 radio.

There a lot of English speaking stations putting out news and propaganda.

As said, on line there are charts for SWLing, they list time, locations, freq and language.

This is the FRG-100;

https://wiki.radioreference.com/images/e/e7/Frg100.jpg

The AR 8000, I carry this in my jeep whenever I go out.

https://wiki.radioreference.com/images/d/df/Ar8000.jpg

Pictures of my shack;

Help with SSB-new-camera-035.jpg

[ATTACH=CONFIG]103657[/ATTACH
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Help with SSB-new-camera-034.jpg  

Last edited by SOCOM42; 02-11-2020 at 12:06 PM.

Download and read this, it explains everything in plain English and will cover shortwave and SSB.
    Ham radio for dummies
    https://www.qsl.net/sp9hzx/img/Ham%2...%20Dummies.pdf
    if you prefer a paper copy to hold in your hands, used copies can be had for cheap on Amazon and eBay.
    If I run across a good deal on eBay for a radio I will try to post it, probably in a separate thread under communications.
    Last edited by Boss Dog; 02-11-2020 at 03:02 PM.
    Renec likes this.
    And he will be a wild man; his hand will be against every man, and every man's hand against him;... Genesis 16:12

Ok just me but. when an ad says things like Comes with matching Organic Gray external AM Antenna , We have a few left over to offer to our consumer preppers, greatly improved over the legendary, radio has been completely redesigned by our engineers,There is even an adjustable sleep timer. And reviews like Very interesting device,trying to figure out what it’s used as/for. But like the versatility and ... I get the felling it means RUN away.
    SOCOM42 and jimb1972 like this.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

Heya 'Chipper! THAT is a nice little SSB HF (shortwave) receiver. It's portable and self powered and you can attach a long wire antenna to it for better reception.
    Now...I'm an EmComm guy. I like to operate in austere conditions with small portable gear. Not everyone is me!
    What would I do with that Radio?
    It would be used to listen to both local and distant nets such as:https://amrron.com/amrron-sub-regional-nets/
    These nets are made up and run by Preppers and folks like yourself. It's a great source of information.
    Information and Signals Intelligence (SIGINT) should be a huge part of your group's Commo plan.
    Want to learn more about SIGINT,Area Studies and the like? Go here :https://forwardobserver.com/
    How does it fit into my groups communication plan?
    As Sam Culper says:Intelligence drives the fight!
    I listen much more than I transmit. If there is a need for HF transmission...I have folks in my group that can do that well.
    But gathering information is not a one man job. The more folks you have listening,the better the chance of gathering meaningful information.
    I will be adding this exact radio to my EmComm gear with the ability to charge it in the field.
    And that is a topic for another thread!
    “A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.”- Robert A. Heinlein

Sponsored Links