New Operator
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

New Operator

This is a discussion on New Operator within the Communications forums, part of the Urban and Rural Survival category; I passed the HAM Technician exam Tuesday (10/15) evening and now I'm waiting for my call sign grant to show up in the FCC database. ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: New Operator

New Operator

I passed the HAM Technician exam Tuesday (10/15) evening and now I'm waiting for my call sign grant to show up in the FCC database.
    I just decided last Saturday to study for it, downloaded the Kindle book "Technician Class 2018-2022: Pass Your Amateur Radio Technician Class Test - The Easy Way" by Craig K4IA. Three days later I took the exam and passed it only missing one question. If you're considering prepping for the exam, I recommend the book. It really helped me a lot.
    Anyway, I'm looking at 2 meter Digital/FM radios like the Yaesu FTM-3200DR. Fortunately, there's a 2 meter DSTR/FM repeater only a couple miles from our home, so I'm anxious to get started.
    Slippy, Denton, A Watchman and 3 others like this.
    Too Soon Old, Too Late Smart

Congrats @pakrat !

CONGRATULATIONS from a fellow ham.
    I really want one of these!Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Congratulations!

You will start learning a lot now after the first step.

There is so much to learn and when you start accumulating, the technology moves the goal post just out of reach again.

Today, I have no clue to a lot of the new stuff presented,

it was nice to build sets from scratch and repair all sorts of electronics, most today is throw away stuff or factory only repairs.

Got my novice in 1957, general by the next year.

Early call sign was W1HS-, today it is an N1 series.

Way to go, it shows a high intelligence on your part, to pass it so easily.
    I am reading The 9/11 Commission Report, and I am about 1/4 of the way through it. It is very well written and it is worth reading. [Sep 23 2019]

Congratulations!

I appreciate all your comments. I wish now that I’d taken the step earlier in the year. Even with the local repeater being so close, I want to focus largely on simplex.

Even though we live on one of the higher hills in our area, there’s quite a bit of tree cover. I’m gathering materials to put up a vertical omni-directional antenna on a 30’ pole, but starting this late in the season, winter weather might force me to wait until spring. If so, I’ll have to be happy with a mobile setup for a few months and/or a home-brew dipole in the attic.
    Too Soon Old, Too Late Smart

If Ham operators use the same jargon as CB radio users back in the 80s some of us old guys may be able to help interpret some of the jibber jabber stuff.

I have the original CB Radio FCC booklet from the 70's on etiquette and how to earn your license. Funny stuff. Recently California said they will quit supporting ham infrastructure saying the technology is obsolete. Is it?
    bigwheel likes this.
    "There is a destiny that shapes our ends, Rough, hew them as we will."

Good question. My dear old DIL said during the height of the CB craze..it was just a fad and would pass. He seems to have been right so far. Never knew much about HAM but you can talk to folks a long way off seems like. Sorta llike a souped up base station perhaps?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links