New Operator - Page 2
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

New Operator

This is a discussion on New Operator within the Communications forums, part of the Urban and Rural Survival category; Originally Posted by csi-tech I have the original CB Radio FCC booklet from the 70's on etiquette and how to earn your license. Funny stuff. ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: New Operator

Quote Originally Posted by csi-tech View Post
    I have the original CB Radio FCC booklet from the 70's on etiquette and how to earn your license. Funny stuff. Recently California said they will quit supporting ham infrastructure saying the technology is obsolete. Is it?
    I think the technology appears obsolete when compared to internet, cell and satellite technologies. BUT… if those technologies became hampered or suppressed (they’re easy manipulated, controlled and limited) HAM, particularly mobile HAM, would look pretty good. I don’t think removing the infrastructure is necessarily a death knell to HAM in California. Hopefully, they never face a disaster scenario where such a decision is regretted. I think it does have potential and purposeful impact on the free flow of information and 1st amendment exercise by citizens.
    Slippy likes this.
    Too Soon Old, Too Late Smart

Big government today is all about control. The days are long gone when government gave a rats ass about its citizens. California is a perfect example. If there was a situation where the internet and modern communications failed, of course ham radio would prove valuable. But the pols in Cali don’t care. It is more important for them to be in total control. Without ham radio repeaters, free information flow will be harder and much more restricted. That’s what government wants. They only want the citizens to know “the official government version” of events. Better to control the sheep. And who cares if citizens are harmed? Certainly not Gavin Newsom.
    Slippy, bigwheel and Humbucker99 like this.

Congrats to the OP who just got his ham ticket! Welcome to the wonderful world of ham radio where the fun begins and the spending never ends!

Great choice for a beginner radio - Yaesu FT60R. Everything you need (well almost) in one radio. The FTD2 R2d2 was just too much for me, I will never use most of that radio, so I went back to basics and got the FT60R. Extend receive. Instant Weather button. 1000 alpha-tag memories. Programming ease. HUGE brightly lit display. Good ergonomic feel to the radio, a little heft, but not too much. Everything as it should be. What I call the art of complex simplicity.
    SOCOM42 likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsored Links