Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

New AR-15 $399.99

5K views 19 replies 11 participants last post by  Steve40th 
#1 ·
See less See more
#4 ·
Reactions: AquaHull and Denton
#7 · (Edited)
Here is the problem with $399 ARs. The may well be ok AR's. But they generally have fix A2 type front sights. Standard round plastic Colt style hand guards, phosphate treated parts . As basic as you can get pistol grip. Often when I see someone new to this the weapon their heart sees is one more like the $469. Their pocket book sees the $399. Stinking thinking say I can swap out the parts latter. What happens is to get rid of A2 front sight you need a new gas block. And free float rail is not cheat and you need that for front sight in some cases. And it makes a better weapon. Not all front sights can be or should be mounted to the gas block. Some times if you shop right an AR will come with MAGPUL stock and pistol grip. Not the highest end stuff but very good. Change out the parts is not hard but will require some base tools tools for the Job. Not overly expensive but they do add to cost. Now do the math Turn the $399 AR that you check book likes into the one your heart sees. You would likely have been much better off getting one that had what you wanted all ready at a high price.
I am not immune to impulse buying. But it is not common for me. I generally know where it is I am going, where I want it to end . Then I compare prices and buying components. Often if you know what you want and know what is should cost. Buying a complete upper that has what you want , then mating it to a lower you pick up on a good sale, or one you assemble from good parts comes in at a budget friendly price. This last approach is one that done right allows you take advantage of sales and assemble the AR your heart really wants.
I have wanted an AR10 upper to mate with a lower sitting here. I looked at buying just the barrel, BCG, charging handle and rail it kept going over the assembled cost of the parts. This morning I checked there it was. I wanted a 20 inch barrel complete upper assembly with parts I wanted and it had Free shipping. It took all of 1 minute to hit the send key. I was not going to beat that price doing parts.
Don't be fooled Not all free float rails are good ones cheap is most often Cheap. it is easy to make a standard trigger as good as many $100-$179 drop in ones or kits for about $25 requiring no special skills.

#8 ·
You may right for most people. But I have a Palmetto AR that got as a kit and it's like this. NO FRILLS
And I Love it. It's a tool. The only modification is a polished trigger. I use it for what it was intended to do.
It's just a shooter. I have a blast with my work horse. I spent that other $70 on Ammo.

#16 · (Edited)
PSA has a FDE AR upper with BCG and charging handle and separately a FDE AR lower for the combined price of $349.98 free shipping.
Look on their daily deal page. Lower will need to go to FFL for transfer. I have purchased several PSA lowers thru my FFL and it was painless!

#20 ·
Lots of myths as to what a good AR is and isnt. There is another forum, https://www.m4carbine.net/ The detail and less clutter this site offers much better detail. Dont get me wrong, there are some seasoned Veterans, LEO etc here that have far superior knowledge and use of weapons than I, but we always here the same crap. COlT is the bestest. Maybe in the 90', but not lately. DD, BCM, LMT, HK (Uber expensive), SIG etc make some very nice weapons for the tactical and hard use crowd. For the Home Defense Crowd and paper shooters, dont skip on quality. If your life depends on a tool, make sure it works every time.
Use quality ammo, and practice. Run that weapon like your life depends on it..
My PSA only had one hiccup in its first thousand rounds.. Loose gas block. Fixed.
My SIG 516 has had zero in over 2000 rounds of suppressed and non suppressed.
My PWS had one issue. If I had the read the manual, or asked questions, I would have known the piston would build up some crud intially and needs to be cleaned a little more during break in.
All run suppressed fine too.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.