Tracks and Tracking
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tracks and Tracking

This is a discussion on Tracks and Tracking within the Books, Videos, Media, Podcasts forums, part of the General Discussion category; The ability to track game is an essential skill of the backwoodsman. This book, published in 1909, is a great reference for anyone wanting to ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Sheepdog
  • 1 Post By Mad Trapper
  • 2 Post By paraquack

Thread: Tracks and Tracking

Mod Squad

Tracks and Tracking

The ability to track game is an essential skill of the backwoodsman. This book, published in 1909, is a great reference for anyone wanting to learn this time-honored skill. Printed versions can be quite hard to find, and would probably set you back a pretty penny if you did manage to locate a copy. It's fully illustrated, and features the tracks and characteristics of most North American game animals, along with useful information about tracking in general. A must read for any prepper.

Read it online or or available as a free download in multiple formats...

Tracks and Tracking by Josef Brunner, 1909

Success Is going from failure to failure without losing your enthusiasm - anonymous

Hey Prep, thanks for the information. I went out and found a few available in paperback and hardback. I tried to go ahead and purchase one but my internet so slow where I'm at the page just won't load. Anyway, for anyone interested, here is a link that has 3 available right now for about $16-22.
    Search Books - Alibris Marketplace
    put the title in search engine..
    Prepadoodle likes this.

Tracking and the Art of Seeing, 2nd Ed.- Paul Rezendes, Firefly books, Harper Collins Ny, ISBN 0-06-273524-1

The Science and Art of Tracking - Tom Brown Jr., Berkley Pub. NY, ISBN- 0-425-15772-5

The former has wonderful illustrations for for most north american animals, the latter is hands on and emphasizes "nose in the dirt time". You won't get much out of the latter unless you spend lots of time tracking , and put in your "dirt time".
    Prepadoodle likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Thanks, looks like a great book.
    For those of you who might want to down load as a PDF go to:
    https://ia601408.us.archive.org/33/i...runiala_bw.pdf
    It's 248 pages, so I don't know if you'd want to print it.
    Mad Trapper and Prepadoodle like this.
    I really want one of these!Hidden Content

Mod Squad

Quote Originally Posted by paraquack View Post
    For those of you who might want to down load as a PDF...
    If you open the "read online" link on the link I provided, you should see a download link in your browser. Also, follow the link I gave and you should see links (on the left) to download various other formats.

Success Is going from failure to failure without losing your enthusiasm - anonymous

Mod Squad

I just want to say that I would MUCH rather have printed editions of most books. I do own quite a few real books.

However, my electronic library consists of some 200,000 titles. At 1.5" each, this would require over 4.7 miles of shelving and weigh on the order of 200 tons. Not exactly portable, right? Most of these are textbooks. Let's say the average cost of all my ebooks, if I could find them in printed form, would be about $40 each. That's about $8,000,000.00. I don't have 8 million dollars to plunk down on books.

In contrast, I can probably fit 600,000 titles on my 1 TB portable drive, and it fits in my pocket. Most of the titles I have were free. So, for me, there isn't really a choice. I would rather have the books in a less than ideal format than not have them at all.

I'll second your desire for printed text. But I try to be realistic in my present state of retirement and finances. Everything I have on the computer related to prepping goes onto a micro SD card to fit my wife's tablet (if we absolutely must bug out). So as long as we don't get hammered by and EMP, I feel ok, sort of.
    I really want one of these!Hidden Content

Sponsored Links