Gunsmith book recommendation
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Gunsmith book recommendation within the Books, Videos, Media, Podcasts forums, part of the General Discussion category; There are many things one can find on the internet. But what if the power goes out for whatever reason? Things are bad and no ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Gunsmith book recommendation

There are many things one can find on the internet. But what if the power goes out for whatever reason? Things are bad and no access to a gunsmith or the internet.

I'm a believer in having paper books for when online searches are not possible. Are they any books you would recommend for basic gun repairs?

The NRA firearm assembly books for rifles and handguns.

I bought the whole set of the books from the NRA many years ago,(The Firearms Classics Library) Gunsmithing by Roy F. Dunlap is pretty thorough without being too technical. Nice set of books actually, leather bound, acid free paper.

There's about 130 books in the whole collection, I have about 15 of them.

https://djmcadam.com/firearms-classics-library-html
    Last edited by 1skrewsloose; 09-13-2020 at 01:36 PM.
    inceptor likes this.
    I will not comply! Just leave me be! I do what I want.

Sorry, I have not written it yet.

Go to a night class in machine shop to start.

I know that is not a book, but the machining knowledge is invaluable in that respect.

You want to be a parts swapper? you don't need it then.

But being able to make the parts that are not available is a whole different story.

Example; had to make a main spring and a stirrup for a Volcanic pistol, cost the owner $600.00.
    Last edited by SOCOM42; 09-13-2020 at 01:32 PM.
    1skrewsloose and inceptor like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Here is a couple of pictures of a part I made as an example.

This part is about 1/3 the size of the pictures, OAL is about 3/4 of an inch.

Gunsmith book recommendation-img_0299.jpg

Gunsmith book recommendation-img_0302.jpg

Gunsmith book recommendation-img_0296.jpg
    Last edited by SOCOM42; 09-13-2020 at 01:46 PM.
    inceptor and 1skrewsloose like this.

Reminds me of an auto sear. Not sure where I got that idea.

Quote Originally Posted by 1skrewsloose View Post
    Reminds me of an auto sear. Not sure where I got that idea.
    Not even close, it is a bolt stop.

Why is it that people think if you can make parts you must be converting guns to FA????

Can't tell you how many people over the decades wanted me to convert assorted guns to FA, answer was always NO.

Most common one was the semi auto Thompson, next was the AR.

Can I convert them? SURE if they are self stuffers, but I will not.

I am about to make some spare small parts for one of my MG's, perfectly legal, none are available for it other than used ones.

Quote Originally Posted by SOCOM42 View Post
    Not even close, it is a bolt stop.

Why is it that people think if you can make parts you must be converting guns to FA????

Can't tell you how many people over the decades wanted me to convert assorted guns to FA, answer was always NO.

Most common one was the semi auto Thompson, next was the AR.

Can I convert them? SURE if they are self stuffers, but I will not.

I am about to make some spare small parts for one of my MG's, perfectly legal, none are available for it other than used ones.
    I wasn't trying to imply anything, when I lived back east buddy had a FFL and several different FA's. Some days we would take a look inside to see what was what. That was over 30 yrs ago, just reminded me of something I saw once.

They are fun to shoot and waste ammo but wouldn't have one for serious use.
    Last edited by 1skrewsloose; 09-14-2020 at 11:59 AM.

The gun digest assembly/disassembly books are the ones I would consider most important. If you are mechanically inclined you can probably figure out what is wrong, but being able to put them back together, especially some of the more complicated or unusual designs can be tricky.
    inceptor likes this.
    "A man convinced against his will, is of the same opinion still."- The wise words of Benjamin Franklin.

Quote Originally Posted by jimb1972 View Post
    The gun digest assembly/disassembly books are the ones I would consider most important. If you are mechanically inclined you can probably figure out what is wrong, but being able to put them back together, especially some of the more complicated or unusual designs can be tricky.
    I have had different guns brought to me over the years in a box, just parts to be re-assembled.

Some I have never seen before, took some time but did them all, some guns needed some parts that were missing or broke.

Right now the parts are scarce for fighting rifles, I looked at APEX the other day for a Galil barrel, none.

Most other parts were gone also, FAL parts the same, AK's too.

It seems along with ammunition, everyone has bought up all the spares out there that are important, coming SHTF anticipation????
    inceptor likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by SOCOM42 View Post
    I have had different guns brought to me over the years in a box, just parts to be re-assembled.

Some I have never seen before, took some time but did them all, some guns needed some parts that were missing or broke.

Right now the parts are scarce for fighting rifles, I looked at APEX the other day for a Galil barrel, none.

Most other parts were gone also, FAL parts the same, AK's too.

It seems along with ammunition, everyone has bought up all the spares out there that are important, coming SHTF anticipation????
    Without the book it will likely take hours or days, with it will take minutes, especially if you are missing pieces.
    inceptor likes this.
    "A man convinced against his will, is of the same opinion still."- The wise words of Benjamin Franklin.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links