50-State-Legal Suppressed Muzzleloader
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

50-State-Legal Suppressed Muzzleloader

This is a discussion on 50-State-Legal Suppressed Muzzleloader within the Black Powder and Muzzleloaders forums, part of the HandGuns, Pistols and Revolvers, Long Rifles, Shotguns, SKS, AK, AR category; A novel idea for certain, but I do not know how much interest folks will have for it? Cool that it is legal in all ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 24
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: 50-State-Legal Suppressed Muzzleloader

  1. #1
    Senior Member


    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    10,863

    50-State-Legal Suppressed Muzzleloader

    A novel idea for certain, but I do not know how much interest folks will have for it? Cool that it is legal in all 50 states with no NFA paperwork necessary. I will stick with my Savage ML-II ML as it is the best.

    With the invention of the Maxim 50, SilencerCo has created a product that is 100% legal for civilian ownership in all 50 states while providing hearing-saving suppression at a reasonable price point. How is this possible? By paying very close attention to the law.

    The BATFE defines a silencer as a “device for silencing, muffling, or diminishing the report of a portable firearm . . .” By that definition, a silencer is only a silencer if it can attach to a firearm. The Maxim 50 is built on the base of a Traditions™ Vortek Strikerfire Muzzleloader. For those who know muzzleloaders, you’ll also know that they are not considered firearms by the BATFE but are instead antique firearms, a definition and difference that is very distinct. Because of this, a moderator that is permanently affixed to a muzzleloader is not legally defined as a silencer, since it does not attach to a firearm. With this realization, the Maxim 50 was born.
    https://loadoutroom.com/thearmsguide...-muzzleloader/

  2. #2
    Senior Member


    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    7,613
    I wonder how many game wardens and RSO's will be conversant with that abstruse loophole. It is a nice rifle, though.
    RedLion likes this.

  3. #3
    Senior Member


    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    North Mississippi
    Posts
    1,972
    Think I'd just as soon go back to bows & arrows than such a gun. Now the SilencerCo Saker 762 on my 300 Blackout... that is a different story.
    RedLion likes this.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Senior Member


    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    449
    Quote Originally Posted by Redneck View Post
    Think I'd just as soon go back to bows & arrows than such a gun. Now the SilencerCo Saker 762 on my 300 Blackout... that is a different story.

    I'm guessing you don't own one? Thompson center makes a very nice rifle I have two
    RedLion and hawgrider like this.

  6. #5
    Senior Member


    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    North Mississippi
    Posts
    1,972
    Quote Originally Posted by maine_rm View Post
    I'm guessing you don't own one? Thompson center makes a very nice rifle I have two
    Nope. Can't think of any reason why I'd want a muzzle loader. I shoot & train for home defense so obviously they don't match my needs. Each to his own.

  7. #6
    Senior Member


    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Third holler on the right. Then up the road a piece
    Posts
    3,384
    Quote Originally Posted by Redneck View Post
    Nope. Can't think of any reason why I'd want a muzzle loader. I shoot & train for home defense so obviously they don't match my needs. Each to his own.
    Reason= In a shotgun only zone for deer hunting a modern in-line muzzleloader is a better option than a shotgun for distance and accuracy.

    Example 1 = Michigan's zone 3 shotgun only deer hunting.

    Example 2 = The state of Ohio shotgun only deer hunting.
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields

  8. #7
    Senior Member


    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    The Lone Star State
    Posts
    7,643
    You muzzleloading guys can help me out with something concerning this gun.

    A silencer works by capturing gasses in the baffling, and thereby dispersing some of the noise.
    That means the baffling is open to the path of the projectile so the expanding gasses can be trapped.
    Since muzzleloading requires, obviously, loading from the muzzle end, is there any risk/issue with part of the powder charge falling into the silencer baffling?
    I have this idea in my head of a small patch of powder sitting in there, and on the next shot, getting ignited by the report, and exploding inside the baffling.

    Clearly this is a gun that's been used and tested, so I'm sure it's my misunderstanding.
    So, can anyone clear it up for me?
    "Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." - H. L. Mencken

  9. #8
    Senior Member


    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Third holler on the right. Then up the road a piece
    Posts
    3,384
    Quote Originally Posted by Kauboy View Post
    You muzzleloading guys can help me out with something concerning this gun.

    A silencer works by capturing gasses in the baffling, and thereby dispersing some of the noise.
    That means the baffling is open to the path of the projectile so the expanding gasses can be trapped.
    Since muzzleloading requires, obviously, loading from the muzzle end, is there any risk/issue with part of the powder charge falling into the silencer baffling?
    I have this idea in my head of a small patch of powder sitting in there, and on the next shot, getting ignited by the report, and exploding inside the baffling.

    Clearly this is a gun that's been used and tested, so I'm sure it's my misunderstanding.
    So, can anyone clear it up for me?
    The video shows that they use a special loading tube which extends thru the can down into the barrel.

    RedLion and Kauboy like this.
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields

  10. #9
    Senior Member


    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    North Mississippi
    Posts
    1,972
    Quote Originally Posted by hawgrider View Post
    Reason= In a shotgun only zone for deer hunting a modern in-line muzzleloader is a better option than a shotgun for distance and accuracy.

    Example 1 = Michigan's zone 3 shotgun only deer hunting.

    Example 2 = The state of Ohio shotgun only deer hunting.
    I understand why others would want such a device. Around here, there is no need to spend such money on specialty guns as the deer are too plentiful. Any hunter can easily fill their freezers during normal gun seasons.
    hawgrider likes this.

  11. #10
    Senior Member


    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Third holler on the right. Then up the road a piece
    Posts
    3,384
    Quote Originally Posted by Redneck View Post
    I understand why others would want such a device. Around here, there is no need to spend such money on specialty guns as the deer are too plentiful. Any hunter can easily fill their freezers during normal gun seasons.
    Nobody I know use's that Muzzy with a can. But it would be a nice option as my hearing has been damaged over the years from 36 years of machine room and boiler rooms.
    Redneck likes this.
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields

 

 
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. shotgun to muzzleloader- video
    By Vasily 1945 in forum Black Powder and Muzzleloaders
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-30-2017, 07:11 AM
  2. Suppressed enfield pistol?
    By RedLion in forum HandGuns, Pistols and Revolvers, Long Rifles, Shotguns, SKS, AK, AR
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-25-2016, 08:43 PM
  3. Replies: 42
    Last Post: 10-03-2015, 11:18 PM
  4. Suppressed Pistols
    By PrepperLite in forum Pistols and Revolvers
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 08-08-2013, 09:19 PM
  5. Muzzleloader Scopes
    By GunsKnivesSurvival in forum Black Powder and Muzzleloaders
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-23-2012, 07:45 PM
Back to Top