Lyman Big Dipper Casting Kit
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Lyman Big Dipper Casting Kit within the Black Powder and Muzzleloaders forums, part of the HandGuns, Pistols and Revolvers, Long Rifles, Shotguns, SKS, AK, AR category; Does anyone own this Lyman casting kit? What do you like or dislike about it? Here is a couple links to show what I am ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Lyman Big Dipper Casting Kit

Does anyone own this Lyman casting kit? What do you like or dislike about it?

Here is a couple links to show what I am talking about.
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Lyman-Big...-115V/27159198

https://www.ebay.com/itm/253899993539
    RedLion likes this.
    A prudent man foresees evil and hides himself, But the simple pass on and are punished. Proverbs 22:3 NKJV

I am going to keep bumping this for a few days so it is seen easier. After that I will let it die.
    A prudent man foresees evil and hides himself, But the simple pass on and are punished. Proverbs 22:3 NKJV

Bumping

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

I inherited most of this set from my late father. I say most as some components went missing along the way. The melting pot works well. Casting lead bullets takes a little practice in order to produce a good product. But I have had good luck with this kit, so I would say “go for it!” FYI,I make bullets from wheel weights.
    NewRiverGeorge likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefster23 View Post
    I inherited most of this set from my late father. I say most as some components went missing along the way. The melting pot works well. Casting lead bullets takes a little practice in order to produce a good product. But I have had good luck with this kit, so I would say “go for it!” FYI,I make bullets from wheel weights.
    Thanks for the info. I was thinking about wheel weights also. Are they soft lead?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I have been gone for a week so I'm just now seeing this. I have this set up and really like it. I am currently using a baking pan to lube after casting but am saving to get a sizer/lube setup. As with anything else I have several tools that don't come with the set. I have an old hammer handle to knock the ingots and bullets out of the mold. I found a old spoon with a wooden handle to stir the pot a little better. I know a guy who has a tombstone/monument company. He gave me a scrap piece of red granite to use as a base for the pot. Spills don't burn the table.
    I don't shoot as much now as I used to but still enjoy casting bullets and reloading. With Ebay the hunt for lead isn't as hard as it used to be. The Obama years proved that reloading and casting meant that I never had to worry about ammo.I had stocked up on primers and powder so I never went without.

Forgot to mention wheel weights. New ones are mostly zinc and are useless for casting. Old ones are ok but need additional lead to make a good bullet. Ebay is very valuable to find good pure lead. Right now 1.00 to 1.25 per pound is the going rate. Many dealers offer free shipping.
    MaterielGeneral likes this.

I cast in an old steel pot on a coleman camp stove, but I use that lead ladle in the 1st picture.

I started to cast my own but just figured I didnt need to waste the time/money and lead poisoning and trouble and just ordered enough from this place to crack my garage floor. https://rimrockbullets.com/xcart/

Check out the muzzleloadingforum, https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/.

Lots of great information on casting bullets/balls.

I did a search on "Lyman big dipper" and got about 100 hits.

The members on the forum cast everything from round balls for hunting, to bullets for 1000yd MLer matches (yes 1000yds with a MLer).

Older wheel weights were a decent source of lead but they are a harder alloy than pure lead, sometimes this may be desirable. Most of those have found their way to the scrap yards. They new wheelweights are useless.

Plumbers and roofers that work on old structures often scrap pipes or flashing that is pure lead. Linotype fused or printing is another source.

Old timer scrap yards are also worth a look for lead
    Last edited by Mad Trapper; 04-25-2019 at 09:24 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links