Our off-grid system & life - Page 9
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Our off-grid system & life

This is a discussion on Our off-grid system & life within the Alternative Energy (Wind, Solar, Hydro etc) forums, part of the Off-Grid Lifestyle category; No changes to my system in a while now but some may be coming soon. I have 1000 watts of panels going into a charge ...

Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree259Likes

Thread: Our off-grid system & life

No changes to my system in a while now but some may be coming soon. I have 1000 watts of panels going into a charge controller max rated for 1000 watts. With the crappy winter weather I’m getting squat from my array. So I’m considering adding a couple hundred watts more panels to be used fall thru spring and switched out in summer so as not to overload the controller. My batteries are five years old and getting tired. Their replacement is going to be a nice sized bill.
    MountainGirl likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefster23 View Post
    No changes to my system in a while now but some may be coming soon. I have 1000 watts of panels going into a charge controller max rated for 1000 watts. With the crappy winter weather I’m getting squat from my array. So I’m considering adding a couple hundred watts more panels to be used fall thru spring and switched out in summer so as not to overload the controller. My batteries are five years old and getting tired. Their replacement is going to be a nice sized bill.
    We have 2115 watts of panels - and even on the brightest noon summer day, I never saw more than 2k coming down. Line loss? Rating overstatement? Who knows.
    Yeah...the battery replacement will be tough here. Gotta start saving up for it. Doubt we'll get the 10years I was hoping for.
    Chiefster23 likes this.
    Vanished, into the mist.

Quote Originally Posted by MountainGirl View Post
    I'm bumping this up, after reading through the whole thing.
    @paulag1955 - for some reason, I thought you might enjoy seeing it; and Chiefster - you might get a kick out of it too. LOL
    And maybe some of the new folks might find it interesting as well..just so you know how crazy we are. Start at the first post.

For an update, and some of it will only make sense to some here, we left the battery bank wired up in 4 strings, and it's doing just fine. Had to replace a faulty inverter fan in the 2nd year (still under warranty, no cost to us) and the system is still meeting all our needs. It might be the over-build meant less stress on things not having to work so hard; and in the heat of summer there's enough power coming down to run an air conditioner at night. Also - we switched out the propane HW heater last year for a 20gal 110 unit, and in the low-sun winter just switch it on when we want to shower/whatever, it takes less than an hour to heat up, and if the batts drop below 90% start up the gen. Not having to plow out to run down to fill propane tanks is a gift!! Tom maintains the battery bank, Randy still comes once a year to check everything out, all good.

And, as always, if the whole solar system goes belly up - we'll be just fine.
    The hand-pump was installed last summer so we'll always have water; we heat with plentiful wood; game abounds.
    Life is still good on Peaceful Mountain.

Hey @Chiefster23 - any major changes on your mountain since your last post here?
    Yes, ma'am, I am interested! There is a ton of information here to read and digest!
    MountainGirl likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by paulag1955 View Post
    Yes, ma'am, I am interested! There is a ton of information here to read and digest!
    There is that, yes. More info than I'll ever need for sure, lol.

Re-reading about my beginning times (in the OP), and learning curves since then - reminded me of your posts, about your beginning times coming in Coulee.
    Such a wonderful adventure, this, and I wish you the best on yours.
    Vanished, into the mist.

Quote Originally Posted by MountainGirl View Post
    There is that, yes. More info than I'll ever need for sure, lol.

Re-reading about my beginning times (in the OP), and learning curves since then - reminded me of your posts, about your beginning times coming in Coulee.
    Such a wonderful adventure, this, and I wish you the best on yours.
    Solar would be a slam dunk in GC, as long as you could avoid wind damage.
    MountainGirl likes this.

Thanks for bumping this thread @MountainGirl , I searched back through a couple years of posts when I joined but somehow missed this one entirely. Great setup, and not just the solar power but the whole offgrid home solution. Reading through it was almost funny how much our homes have in common; amount of acreage, generator selection, wood heat, propane appliances, batteries, 24v system, well hand pump, and even how you guys started out on the adventure. We got a couple years on you, offgrid since late 2006, wouldn't worry much about the banned guy's comment's on your batteries (or the config) either - ours are still the originals and every year since about 2013 I tell the wife "we'll need new batteries in a year or two", but they just keep going, and going, and going like the Energizer bunny

You're most welcome @Crunch Glad you enjoyed the read, and yes, it's cool how things parallel with us folks who do this... it kinda gives me hope that the choices we made were good ones, lol.. and we're most def doing the Energizer Bunny dance here too.
    Vanished, into the mist.

Quote Originally Posted by A Watchman View Post
    might have to let her into our good ole' boy club here, huh?
    Sure, we can't bring knives and guns into the forum clubhouse, but a pretty girl with liquor gets in on a whim!

On second thought...
    ...No matter where you are it's enemy territory...

Very cool. Thanks for sharing.
    Slippy and MountainGirl like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Inor View Post
    ......... Yes, he posts some pictures of some cheap shit-bag knives that he has supposedly sharpened to razors edge. ............
    I didn't even believe they were that sharp.... he just likes bragging about using 100,000,000,000,000,000-grit to polish the edge.
    Inor, Denton and RubberDuck like this.
    Prepping is not a destination... it is a journey.
    Visit my YouTube page: Hidden Content

Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links