The EmDrive - A New Concept in Spacecraft Propulsion
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on The EmDrive - A New Concept in Spacecraft Propulsion within the Alternative Energy (Wind, Solar, Hydro etc) forums, part of the Off-Grid Lifestyle category; Keep your eyes peeled for new developments on this paradigm changing technology. This is coming unless it goes completely black... BTW it has been independently ...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: The EmDrive - A New Concept in Spacecraft Propulsion

Keep your eyes peeled for new developments on this paradigm changing technology. This is coming unless it goes completely black...

BTW it has been independently verified by the Brits, USA, Germans, and Chinese.

Satellite Propulsion Research Ltd (SPR Ltd) a small UK based company, has demonstrated a remarkable new space propulsion technology. The company has successfully tested both an experimental thruster and a demonstrator engine which use patented microwave technology to convert electrical energy directly into thrust. No propellant is used in the conversion process. Thrust is produced by the amplification of the radiation pressure of an electromagnetic wave propagated through a resonant waveguide assembly.

A slide presentation with narration, explaining the basic science behind EmDrive can be downloaded here:

Or for those who are empirically inclined, the 'Theory Explained' here:

http://www.emdrive.com/theorypaper9-4.pdf
    Denton, bigwheel, homefire and 2 others like this.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet." - 'Mad Dog' James Mattis - Call Sign 'Chaos'

"In the land of milk and honey you must put them on the table" - Steely Dan

Whatever happened to the ion drive?

Quote Originally Posted by SOCOM42 View Post
    Whatever happened to the ion drive?
    I was waiting for you to chime in SOCOM

The chief difference from an efficiency POV is that the Ion Drive still requires fuel, while the EM drive does not. It only requires an electrical power source.

In more depth though from NASA, we have the following on the Ion Drive:

Past Ion Propulsion

The NASA Glenn Research Center has been a leader in ion propulsion technology development since the late 1950s, with its first test in space– the Space Electric Rocket Test 1– flying on July 20, 1964. From 1998 to 2001, the NASA Solar Technology Application Readiness (NSTAR) ion propulsion system enabled the Deep Space 1 mission, the first spacecraft propelled primarily by ion propulsion, to travel over 163 million miles and make flybys of the asteroid Braille and the comet Borelly.

Current Ion Propulsion

Ion thrusters (based on a NASA design) are now being used to keep over 100 geosynchronous Earth orbit communication satellites in their desired locations, and three NSTAR ion thrusters that utilize Glenn-developed technology are enabling the Dawn spacecraft (launched in 2007) to travel deep into our solar system. Dawn is the first spacecraft to orbit two objects in the asteroid belt between Mars and Jupiter: the protoplanets Vesta and Ceres.

Future Ion Propulsion

ion engine firing
    NASA Evolutionary Xenon Thruster (NEXT) ion thruster in operation.
    Credits: NASA

As the commercial applications for electric propulsion grow because of its ability to extend the operational life of satellites and to reduce launch and operation costs, NASA is involved in work on two different ion thrusters: the NASA Evolutionary Xenon Thruster (NEXT) and the Annular Engine. NEXT, a high-power ion propulsion system designed to reduce mission cost and trip time, operates at 3 times the power level of NSTAR and was tested continuously for 51,000 hours (equivalent to almost 6 years of operation) in ground tests without failure, to demonstrate that the thruster could operate for the required duration of a range of missions. NASA Glenn recently awarded a contract to Aerojet Rocketdyne to fabricate two NEXT flight systems (thrusters and power processors) for use on a future NASA science mission. In addition to flying the NEXT system on NASA science missions, NASA plans to take the NEXT technology to higher power and thrust-to-power so that it can be used for a broad range of commercial, NASA, and defense applications.

NASA Glenn’s patented Annular Engine has the potential to exceed the performance capabilities of the NEXT ion propulsion system and other electric propulsion thruster designs. It uses a new thruster design that yields a total (annular) beam area that is 2 times greater than that of NEXT. Thrusters based on the Annular Engine could achieve very high power and thrust levels, allowing ion thrusters to be used in ways that they have never been used before. The objectives are to reduce system cost, reduce system complexity, and enhance performance (higher thrust-to-power capability).

Apparently NASA doesn't know what to think about the EM Drive. A NASA doc leaked and posted online indicates that they are of two minds and it's likely they have or are building their own Version 2 test platform.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7k...Y0TVktQlU/view

Another EM type, though a slightly different version is already under preliminary commercial development and is being proposed to be soon tested in space.

The Impossible Propulsion Drive Is Heading to Space
    Last edited by Maol9; 05-06-2017 at 12:46 PM.
    Denton and SOCOM42 like this.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet." - 'Mad Dog' James Mattis - Call Sign 'Chaos'

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Highly interesting. Wished I could find my slide rule to check the math.
    Denton, Maol9, A Watchman and 3 others like this.

Moving On...

Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    Highly interesting. Wished I could find my slide rule to check the math.
    To me it's more like; are they speaking English..It amazes me the creativity and true potential of people.

How long of an extension cord will we need and what amp fuse.
    8301, Slippy and bigwheel like this.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

I was thinking of solar panel sails...
    SOCOM42 and Slippy like this.

To this troglodyte, it appears that either solar panels or nuclear driven photon conversion generator will be used.

I wonder what the frequency level is and the driver (cavity magnetron) power level?

Looking at the white paper, two thoughts came to mind, if they could apply the rail gun accelerator principal to the vectored thrust,

they could come to light speed, as is V=.75 light.

The second thought is on the superconductor, that requires extremely low temperatures and chemical purity. .

Magnetron's I have met, and lost to, RF burn in palm of hand from an open wave guide.

This crap is way above my pay grade.
    Last edited by SOCOM42; 05-06-2017 at 04:37 PM.
    homefire, Slippy and bigwheel like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Maol9 View Post
    I was thinking of solar panel sails...
    I was going to mention this, 60 years ago they were actually contemplating huge sails to collect solar winds for motion.

How would you tack with the sun?

The spice is easier.
    Maol9 likes this.

The science is way over my head but it's a fascinating subject. Pretty cool shit.
    Slippy likes this.
    " All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: Freedom, Justice, Honor, Duty, Mercy, Hope" .Hidden Content

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links