My solar project - Page 2
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

My solar project

This is a discussion on My solar project within the Alternative Energy (Wind, Solar, Hydro etc) forums, part of the Off-Grid Lifestyle category; Hi John, I'm finally somewhere that I can concentrate on the "Solar Powered Generator". I've seen what you all are talking about and it's all ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: My solar project

Hi John, I'm finally somewhere that I can concentrate on the "Solar Powered Generator". I've seen what you all are talking about and it's all greek to me (being a woman) am not anywhere near your jargone...I know you last responded last year but first few months for me are busy...now I can concentrate on this big big project. I have gone to www.PowerEquipmentDirect.com model: Kohler Model: EGD-enCUBE-kit2 and the other place Total Solar Innovations the model: Solar Max 5300 System. You told me that I could build a more powerful unit, and I've held off on this cause you saw the specs and didn't think it was good for the price....I know the Kohler only has 1 s panel, and would need maybe at least 4 -1444 watt each. Hopefully this would furnish frig and other electrical appliances. Another thing I don't know what is a good brand vs another, inverters, and all else that goes with it. The solar panels look pricey...and I understand like everyone says, it's not cost effective, but when the electric goes out, that's what you have....a back up solution. If you'll take a look at both, because I think TSI improved their 5300 system, but still may be pricey...you gave me a whole list of things which I cannot find now..sorry, I hope you had a wonderful Christmas and Resurrection Sunday. We were busy, but God is good...so let me know what you recommend.

Nice set-up.

But why did you build it on the face of a cliff?
    Slippy likes this.
    My ability to recall lyrics from a song written in the 70's far exceeds my ability to recall why I walked into the kitchen.
    The Ultimate Prepper's E-Library can be found Hidden Content .
    Feel free to visit my YouTube page. Hidden Content

Banned

I'm bumping up this thread too; good info right here.

Any changes or additions to your setup @Chiefster23 ?

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Actually, there have been some additions. Now I have 1000 watts of panels fixed tilt. I no longer adjust in spring and summer. I upgraded to an OUTBACK 80 amp charge controller and an OUTBACK 2000 watt inverter. I got this crazy idea to try powering a window air conditioner but That idea didn’t work out so well. I outlined some ideas I have for upgrades this coming summer in the other solar thread.
    MountainGirl and Slippy like this.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefster23 View Post
    Actually, there have been some additions. Now I have 1000 watts of panels fixed tilt. I no longer adjust in spring and summer. I upgraded to an OUTBACK 80 amp charge controller and an OUTBACK 2000 watt inverter. I got this crazy idea to try powering a window air conditioner but That idea didn’t work out so well. I outlined some ideas I have for upgrades this coming summer in the other solar thread.
    If you dont mind me asking..what happened re the a/c ? Did you run the gen at the same time? Sometimes when we have a heavy load (like the washing machine or a/c) we'll run it, as it tops up the batts at the same time.

During the hours around noon in the summer months the solar system would carry the 8000 btu AC window unit but if it got cloudy or too late in the afternoon the AC put a heavy load on the batteries. I got tired of constantly monitoring the process and just gave up. I think with a newer, more efficient 5000 btu unit it might be a little more practical. I was big time into experimenting to find out what all I could power if it became necessary. My system isn’t really very big, but with juggling the loads I can keep the necessities running. The fridge and freezer are most important to keep from loosing the stored food.
    MountainGirl likes this.

Cheifster, at my last home I played with running a 5000 btu AC off a 490 watt system. I'd hold off turning it on until maybe 2 pm (after the batteries were well into absorb) but had to shut things down around 7-8 pm to protect the batteries. The batteries were needed for other things at night, probably like your system.

I hear that Panasonic now makes an inverter controlled window AC which is a bit more efficient.
    Chiefster23 likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsored Links