Solar oven
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Solar oven

This is a discussion on Solar oven within the Alternative Energy (Wind, Solar, Hydro etc) forums, part of the Off-Grid Lifestyle category; Was wondering if any of you had ever tried to make a solar oven and if it works. I was looking them up on the ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Solar oven

Solar oven

Was wondering if any of you had ever tried to make a solar oven and if it works. I was looking them up on the internet the other day and they seem pretty easy to make. If not I may try it and see what happens.
    Thank you

I have not really used it other than a test but I did make one. I had a large foam cooler in a cardboard box at work that was getting tossed. Cooler foam is about 3 inches thick , I lined it with aluminum foil, painted the cardboard black. Lined the lid with foil put a glass from an old window on top and set it in he sun. Put some blocks in side and let it preheat then placed a roast in a roasting pan inside . Worked well.

Have not used it since , not convenient in that you never know who long it takes, it gets as hot as it gets you do not have much temperature control. Still if no other way to cook It works just with other ways to cook, electric range with oven, , gas stove with oven , wood burner with oven, dutch ovens, camp stoves , I find it easier not to use it.

All it cost me was some time, a little paint, foil and some duct tape .
    Joe and homefire like this.
    [1]Survival: Actions I need to do NOW to live another 5 minutes to 3 days.[2] Prepping: What I do to insure my family makes it thru an adverse event lasting 3 days to 3 months [3] Seeds and livestock: What you need for long term subsistence.

Thank you. Nice to know it will work.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Yes they work and pretty well from what I saw.
    Local group (preppers?) actually had a big outing. There must have been 12 - 14 people there cooking
    with their mostly homemade solar ovens. In addition there were sever people selling commercially
    made solar ovens. All the group people were cooking various foods from mini-cupcakes to cookies to
    a pork loin and a chicken. They started their cooking early in the morning for the meats but the smaller
    foods like cookies, etc were running about an hour if my memory serves me. The small foods were
    being handed out as samples as they finished cooking and another batch were put in to cook. This was
    8 hour "show" and I was there only there during lunch. Please remember this is in southern AZ so we
    have plenty of bright, hot sun to spare.
    homefire likes this.
    I really want one of these!Hidden Content

I have an All American sun oven but have never used it. I just think they might be too limited by weather to be of great use. I am researching earth ovens and hope to build one this year. My property has plenty of sand & clay, so I have everything I need to make one. I really like this video, if you are interested in such an oven.

Last edited by Redneck; 02-10-2017 at 07:00 PM.
    acidMia, Inor and homefire like this.

Converting light energy to heat energy: Solar cookers concentrate sunlight onto a receiver such as a cooking pan. The interaction between the light energy and the receiver material converts light to heat. This conversion is maximized by using materials that conduct and retain heat. Pots and pans used on solar cookers should be matte black in color to maximize the absorption

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck View Post
    I have an All American sun oven but have never used it. I just think they might be too limited by weather to be of great use.
    We have the exact same solar oven, but ours is from when they marketed them under the name "Solutions From Science". I hate that damn thing! We bought it when we were still living in Minnesota. My wife tried it a few times in Minnesota, made some beans etc.; it cooked, sort of... I thought it was due to being in Minnesota.

Once we got moved to Arizona, we tried it again. It did not work much better than it did when we were in Minnesota. Although the big problem here was the wind blowing the reflectors around. We are about 50 miles SE of Paraquack. But we are also about 2000 feet higher than he is. So it is windy here all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck View Post
    I am researching earth ovens and hope to build one this year. My property has plenty of sand & clay, so I have everything I need to make one. I really like this video, if you are interested in such an oven.

Now that ^^^ is a much better solution in my arrogant opinion. I might have to give that a try after I get our house built. Lord knows, I have more clay than brains out here.
    No Body likes this.
    rest in peace Corporal Bradley Coy 06/08/92-10/24/14

Rest in Peace Sgt Mackie. 10/19/19

The earthen oven is mostly time - so why not. Even if you just use it a couple of times a year for pizza still worth doing. I have had some great bread from one and it was nice to have such good bread during the summer months when I do not want to heat up the house.

Multiple ways to cook is not a bad thing.
    [1]Survival: Actions I need to do NOW to live another 5 minutes to 3 days.[2] Prepping: What I do to insure my family makes it thru an adverse event lasting 3 days to 3 months [3] Seeds and livestock: What you need for long term subsistence.

Banned

That earth oven is a neat idea but since it would be very heavy to move you probably need to build it where it would stay forever. Add to the complexity toe requirement to keep rain off of it taking valuable covered space.

I wonder concrete instead of clay would work making it something for the back yard.

Quote Originally Posted by John Galt View Post

I wonder concrete instead of clay would work making it something for the back yard.
    The current issue of Mother Earth News has an article on building a DIY oven, but as opposed to using clay from the soil, they use bags of dry fire clay. In the article, they state if you use bags of refractory cement, which costs considerably more, the oven turns out even better & is practically indestructible. I think with the special cement, the oven doesn't have to be covered. They also show insulating the oven much more, using aluminum foil, chicken wire & additional refractory material which allows the oven to stay hot for days. Rather interesting article & at a minimum, I think I might bring in a few sacks of fire clay & keep in my barn.

Also an article on making a DIY windmill to generate electricity using an alternator from a car. Last month was an article on making your own moccasins. IMO, all preppers should subscribe.
    8301 likes this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links