Wanting to Learn Solar basics
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Wanting to Learn Solar basics within the Alternative Energy (Wind, Solar, Hydro etc) forums, part of the Off-Grid Lifestyle category; Anyone have any tips on how to start tieing in a solar panel to your existing home?...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Wanting to Learn Solar basics

Anyone have any tips on how to start tieing in a solar panel to your existing home?

Re: Wanting to Learn Solar basics

I started out with a simple phone charger and I'm learning from there. Others might have some good input though.

Visit Simpleray.com and read about grid tie inverters. you can start with one 230 watt module and a micro inverter and add a system each time you have money. I started by putting up a 60 watt module 20 years ago and running one12 volt light off of it and expanded from there. Another way is to use solar to recharge AA and other rechargeable batteries. I have purchased from Simpleray and they have outstanding prices and shipping rates

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Good recommendations! Thank you solardon

there are two types of solar energy, Photovoltaic (PV) and solar thermal... ALL major solar energy generation projects are solar thermal, PV has an efficiency of about 2-3% where solar thermal which concentrates sunlight to heat water to produce steam and run a generator, even with multiple conversions has an effiency of 10-15% Benefits of PV are the direct conversion of sunlight into electricity (DC) solar thermal has two benefits, higher efficiency and hot water... ther are plans for solar thermal generators all over, greenpowerscience.com is a good source for info.

My wife and I have lived off the grid for a little over 16 years now. Exactly what are your goals ?
    Irish likes this.

you might look at " Alt-E store" It has alot of items that could help you.

There are so many types of solar panels out there.

Check out Northern Arizona solar and wind. Solar Electric Power Systems For On & Off Grid. They have a lot of good info on sizing you system.

I don't know where you are from, but in two states right now you can darn near get a solar system for free.
    I'm not joking - I worked for one of the companies doing it - and its very real. All you do is buy power from
    the solar system instead of just the utility. I'm in CA and we pay 4 different electric rates. We get a small
    amount of power (tier 1 that I'll say is 800 kilowatt hours a month) and it costs .13 cents a kwhr. Great.
    The next tier is 30% more power so 240 more khwrs' and they charge .15 for it - still a good price considering.
    However once you go over 130% you enter tier 3 - that rate is .29 a kwhr in CA for many of us. OUCH.
    Tier 3 is 130% +1 to 200% of tier one and once you go over 200% to tier 4 its up to .33 khwr.

These companies basically "give" you a $30k/$50k solar system in exchange for you buy the power from
    them for .26/.27 khwr and some times if you negotiate properly with no annual increase. They do the math
    to set up the system so it only provides you teir 3 / 4 replacement power and allows you to keep buying
    tier 1 and 2 from the utility company. Not a bad deal. You are not allowed to disconnect it from the grid,
    but it doesn't mean you can't figure out how in an emergency.

Quote Originally Posted by BandOfBroz View Post
    Anyone have any tips on how to start tieing in a solar panel to your existing home?

I think a good base line that I'm curious about is this...

What do I need (size of solar cell and power output) and how long does it need full Arizona sun to recharge a standard 12v Deep Cycle Marine Battery or Optima Blue Top.
    What can I run with an inverter off of the single 12v Blue Top? How long will a 60w Incandescent / equivalent CFL / equivalent LED last on that much power? How long can I run a TV? How long can I run a HAM Radio? What about my CPAP (Sleep Apnea Machine)?

I'm not expe
    KG7NDC

The only thing that separates man from animal is our affinity for toilet paper.
    Once we as a society lose that affinity we begin to descend back into the animal kingdom, and after three or more days you will find the food chain beginning to invert on itself.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links