Solar powered John boat - Page 3
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Solar powered John boat

This is a discussion on Solar powered John boat within the Alternative Energy (Wind, Solar, Hydro etc) forums, part of the Off-Grid Lifestyle category; Thinking of buying a Goal Zero Yeti, was wondering if anyone out there has owned one and could give me some input before I lay ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Solar powered John boat

Thinking of buying a Goal Zero Yeti, was wondering if anyone out there has owned one and could give me some input before I lay out the cash?

Be wary of proprietary plugs and fittings on Goal Zero. they use to be bad about that but not so much now. If I had GZ equipment I'd pull off the connectors and put Anderson Power Poles on there. But that's just me. All in all their stuff seems to be solid.
    KG7NDC

The only thing that separates man from animal is our affinity for toilet paper.
    Once we as a society lose that affinity we begin to descend back into the animal kingdom, and after three or more days you will find the food chain beginning to invert on itself.

@budgetprepp-n , You sir are the MASTER of applied science! We all sit around here and postulate on past experiences and reference charts and stuff on the web, but we all know applied is totally different and you sir have no inhibitions about quenching that thirst for applied knowledge. If PF gave out awards for the Best Contributor, I'd nominate you in a heartbeat. LOVE the way you lay all BS aside and just get it done!
    KG7NDC

Once we as a society lose that affinity we begin to descend back into the animal kingdom, and after three or more days you will find the food chain beginning to invert on itself.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

I made 2 discoveries today

First,, It takes two panels to run my trolling motor

Second,, If you kick a trolling motor on high speed in a shallow tote you will get soaked
    GTGallop, hag, Slippy and 1 others like this.
    Taking your guns is like eating a whale,,,,,,One bite at a time

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Operator6 View Post
    I'm all for experiments but the experiment your talking about has already been tried. Why waste your time ?

It comes down to how many panels you can carry and how efficient your boat and motor is.

I can tell you right now a jon boat isn't designed to be efficient through the water......trolling motors are not the most efficient motors either....

How many cars do you see running on no battery with just panels ?

How expensive are the total electric cars compared to a gas engine alone ?

See where I'm going ?

Not trying to be rude or discourage experimenting but all of what you're trying to do has been tried many times. All failed with the current crap you can buy.....
    Party Pooper.

Quote Originally Posted by GTGallop View Post
    Adapting my post from his thread to fit your much more plausible scenario.

The panels on my house are roughly 6'x3' and produce 435w at PEAK OUTPUT. That means they have to be at just the right angle. Most of the time they are producing about 60% to 80% of that. So about 300w.
    http://us.sunpower.com/sites/sunpowe...-datasheet.pdf

If you had a Grizzly Tracker 1754 that was 6.5' wide and 17' long...
    TRACKER Boats : All-Welded Jon Boats : 2016 GRIZZLY 1754 MVX Jon Specifications
    You could put a rack like a covered awning on top to shade people on the boat and put your cells on top of that. You'd have room for about 5 panels giving you 1,500 to 2,000 watts of power - or 1.5 KwH to 2KwH.

You'd need a hoss of a battery bank for that kinda juice, but fortunately the Minn-Kota Vantage 101 requires 36 volts (three deep cycle batteries) and produces over 100lbs of thrust. I think you could probably use 9 batteries to give you 3 36 volt banks and maybe a 10th aux 12v battery to run other electronics like coms, sonar, radar or a minnow pump.

That kind of set up would keep you cool and cruising along at a reasonable speed or let you take on a slight wind or current.

Even better a pontoon boat would have about as much contact with the water as a jon boat, be more stable, and add more space on top for more panels, and below the panels you could have a sizable deck for what ever you wanted to do. I prefer a nice flat platform like that over the irregularities of a jon boat.
    Ok I know you are right but usually I try and go "post shtf" style when the lights go out and don't come back
    on you'r not going to able to order or buy anything so I'll see what a car battery or two and a couple of panels
    can do. .......................you'r < that looks funny is that right?

Quote Originally Posted by budgetprepp-n View Post
    Ok I know you are right but usually...
    HA! Not hardly. You are the man when it comes to applied science. My stuff is all spreadsheets and mathematical formulas with a lot of estimated variables thrown in the mix.

...I try and go "post shtf" style when the lights go out and don't come back
    on you'r not going to able to order or buy anything...
    My mistake - I was thinking more pre-SHTF. Like building a bug out boat in advance. For a post SHTF build you are right on track.

you'r < that looks funny is that right?
    Not sure I understand. I'm happy to double check. Quote out the part you are questioning and I'll go look.
    KG7NDC

Most probably you will need to charge the battery for 2-3 days in order for it to run 2-3 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by batteksystem View Post
    Most probably you will need to charge the battery for 2-3 days in order for it to run 2-3 hours.
    No I did an experiment and it took about 3 hours to fully charge a battery using two 235 watt panels and that was a really
    dead battery. And,,,,,,The panels will keep up if I use the lower speeds of the trolling motor and the upper speeds were sort
    of close. So it should take a really long time to drain the battery using the trolling motor and having the panels charging
    at the same time. When the battery was charged in 3 hours that was with the battery really dead. Like 9.5 volts So if the
    battery is down a reasonable amount like 12.3 it should charge up quickly.

A trolling motor will run many hours on a charged battery. So with the solar panels helping you could go a very long time
    before the battery would show any major loss of charge. And if you ran it at a lower speed the battery would charge up
    while you are using it.
    Last edited by budgetprepp-n; 07-01-2016 at 12:40 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Sponsored Links