DIY Tesla Power Wall for Cheap - $600. - Page 3
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DIY Tesla Power Wall for Cheap - $600.

This is a discussion on DIY Tesla Power Wall for Cheap - $600. within the Alternative Energy (Wind, Solar, Hydro etc) forums, part of the Off-Grid Lifestyle category; Originally Posted by Montana Rancher I am currently helping a close friend put in a total solar setup (off grid) and we are getting 8L16 ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: DIY Tesla Power Wall for Cheap - $600.

Quote Originally Posted by Montana Rancher View Post
    I am currently helping a close friend put in a total solar setup (off grid) and we are getting 8L16 370 ah batteries from Parts Plus for $229 plus a $30 core charge. I have used those exact batteries in my solar system for several years with no problem. So currently 8x 6 volt batteries are $1650 including core deposit, IMO these lead acid batteries are old school but will put everything here to shame in its 10-12 year life expectancy and ease of use.

I Like the Tesla wall but it is 4x times more than using Lead batteries.

I like lead acid too. Easy use and maintain. The old school , way works great. My generator is a 1967, and will out last the two other generators, that it replaced!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by quinnbrian View Post
    Right now batteries are at an all time high(price). When I bought my batteries 5 years ago, I paid $2700.00 for 8 x 6volt batteries and now the same batteries are $3700.00.
    Great idea, does anyone have any plans/how to's, for a lead acid , home built battery. But this is something I'm going to look into a little more....Maybe a group buy on some new batteries to build with...??
    what batteries are these?

What type? How many AH etc...

Most batteries I have seen are a 5x or 10x less than that.

None

Quote Originally Posted by Will2 View Post
    what batteries are these?

What type? How many AH etc...

Most batteries I have seen are a 5x or 10x less than that.
    Will, Renewable Energy batteries are built much heavier with thicker plates than less expensive Auto Zone deep cycle batteries. They often have different minerals mixed in the lead, non conductive matts between to plates to resist shorting if the plates ever warp from heat, and deeper bottom sump areas to keep flaked off lead deposits from shorting the bottom of the plates. This makes them much more durable in long term deep cycling applications but makes them cost much more.

An Auto Zone type deep cycle battery will last 2-3 years under heavy cycling (40 - 50% depth of discharge most days with often incomplete recharging) vs 6-11 years for a good quality renewable energy type lead acid battery. And Walmart cheap batteries will rarely last more than 2 years under such abuse.

There is a big difference between someone who has a few solar panels and batteries and occasionally runs a toaster oven off them and someone who works those batteries every night running lights, tvs, hair dryers, and water pumps even after 2 days of rain so they don't get fully recharged.
    Last edited by 8301; 02-24-2016 at 12:26 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Sponsored Links