Want to start a off grid lifestyle. how do i start? - Page 2

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Want to start a off grid lifestyle. how do i start?

This is a discussion on Want to start a off grid lifestyle. how do i start? within the Alternative Energy (Wind, Solar, Hydro etc) forums, part of the Off-Grid Lifestyle category; Originally Posted by MountainMan Well if you're interested in going off grid at home, contact me. I run a nonprofit that is planning and funding ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Want to start a off grid lifestyle. how do i start?

Quote Originally Posted by MountainMan View Post
    Well if you're interested in going off grid at home, contact me. I run a nonprofit that is planning and funding and ecovillage/prepper community. If you think you might be interested in joining a great group of preppers planning to live this way permanently you should also contact us. We're a group of very intelligent people with an eclectic skill set. We're looking for like minded preppers and or environmentalists who are ready to stop being a part of the rat race and start living a healthier, safer life while preparing for the dangers ahead.
    this going to be in the cincinnati area?

I guess what you call off the grid and I do are different. Buying land will put you very much on the grid as at that point there is a deed of record, taxes etc. By off the grid I thought you meant get in a position where governments loose you through the cracks completely. The only way you could do that on land is join the ever growing homeless population.

South of the Red River and North of the Rio Grande
    Quote Originally Posted by joec View Post
    The only true way to live off the grid is get a sail boat large enough to live on with it setup to change salt water to fresh as no piece of land any where in any nation will allow it otherwise. I know people living on sale boats right off the beach in Florida that you can't find at all as ever existed.
    ^^^^ me..

I did that for 5 years. Really enjoyed it too. Back on land with a family but the boat is still our bug out plan.
    "Erosion of our rights just takes a few good men doing nothing"
    Who is John Galt?

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Piratesailor View Post
    ^^^^ me..

I did that for 5 years. Really enjoyed it too. Back on land with a family but the boat is still our bug out plan.
    I did also back in the early 80's myself with a 56' (water line) catch rigged Endeavor. Wife and 4 kids lived very comfortably on that boat.

Quote Originally Posted by MountainMan View Post
    Well if you're interested in going off grid at home, contact me. I run a nonprofit that is planning and funding and ecovillage/prepper community. If you think you might be interested in joining a great group of preppers planning to live this way permanently you should also contact us. We're a group of very intelligent people with an eclectic skill set. We're looking for like minded preppers and or environmentalists who are ready to stop being a part of the rat race and start living a healthier, safer life while preparing for the dangers ahead.
    Where would this community be?
    "The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."Thomas Jefferson
    "By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail." -Benjamin Franklin

Get off te compute and buy a tent and go live in the woods

I would think that the min piece of ground you would be looking for would be about 5 acres. Un improved with no utilities and none close by. First, put the min. down payment you can on it. Second, buy an older mobil home, single wide, which you can find a trashed one usually about 1 -2 thousand frn's. Next, level it, and gut the entire thing. After gutting, lay down a 1/2" OSB flooring right over the stripped down original floor. Glue and screw it down with sub floor adheisive. Next, decide how you want the layout to be. Then using all 2x4's build your new interior walls. For instance, I made my living room larger, took out the rear bathroom, and made it a nice super sized pantry with a single bed to support an overnight guest. Then redesigned an entirly new kitchen, bathroom and master bedroom. Changed all the wiring from the crappy old alum. wire to 12-2 copper wire. Now, I added an office in the front, 12x20 and built an entirely new gable roof over the entire mobil, using new coragated metal to surface that with and "painted" that with white elestrometric coating. Insulates pretty well. I also insulated on top of the original roof with r-30 , covering all of the mobil with that.
    Insulated the bar walls, and then sheet rocked the entire inside area. Tiled the kitchen floor and carpeted the rest. Other then the carpet, I did all the work myself, and it is quite cozy inside. Oh, jerked out all the old appliances including the forced air heat, and installed all new propane units. My heating is a cozy heater in the bedrooom (vented through the wall) and one small blue flame heater here in the office, and a larger one mounted on the wall in the living room. They all work with thermostats and are quite safe and cozy. And here in N. E. Az, we get down to -22 below.

I also changed out and reframed for all new double pane windows. Total cost, less then $20,000.00 and paid cash for everything as we went.

Over the years , I have installed my solar system, wind gennies, and 3 back up generators.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsored Links