Cheap Solar ideas
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Cheap Solar ideas

This is a discussion on Cheap Solar ideas within the Alternative Energy (Wind, Solar, Hydro etc) forums, part of the Off-Grid Lifestyle category; If you have a local junk yard you can pull the smaller back up lights from vehicles or depending on cost the interior dome lights ...

Like Tree14Likes
  • 4 Post By Maine-Marine
  • 1 Post By Camel923
  • 1 Post By Mozingo
  • 2 Post By Grim Reality
  • 2 Post By GTGallop
  • 3 Post By whoppo
  • 1 Post By Ralph Rotten

Thread: Cheap Solar ideas

Cheap Solar ideas

If you have a local junk yard you can pull the smaller back up lights from vehicles or depending on cost the interior dome lights for use with your solar set up.. they are already 12 volt

check with your local battery store and see if they have any "good" deep cell batteries... they usually pay 20¢ a pound back to the customer for a core charge.. see if you can pick them up for 25¢ ($7 could net you a 55 Amp Hour Bat)

Ebay has some great deals on LED Lights

Interesting concept Maine-Marine.
    Maine-Marine likes this.
    Blessed be God, my rock who trains my hands for battle, my fingers for war. Psalms 144:1

Victory can depend on a dog or a goose---Napoleon

I'm just going to run automotive led strips for interior and fog/floodlights exterior all led
    Maine-Marine likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Maybe you all know this one...but certainly some won't.

Ya know those "Yard Lights" that charge during the day and then provide light during the evening
    to light the path up your walkway? They have a perfect setup inside dedicated to charging a simple
    AA battery. Pull out the cheapo battery they come with and replace it with a name brand rechargeable
    and you have a ready means of keeping charged AA's always available. Elegant really. Just be sure you
    remove your batteries from the mechanisms before the dark hours, which is when the "lighting circuit"
    begins working...discharging the battery. In a grid-down situation you can bring them indoors as the
    sun is setting to provide you with several hours of light. Meager though it may be, I can imagine there
    are those who would be glad to have it.

They can be bought new, of course, but I make a habit of picking them up whenever I see them at
    garage/yard sales. CHEAP!

Another solar tip which has seen a lot of mileage but is none-the-less valid. If you want an
    inexpensive way to heat water for a shower (a short shower!), carefully coil up a black garden hose
    on your Southern facing roof and wait till the evening, of an otherwise sunny day, to drain the water
    out and through an improptu shower head. Don't laugh...IT WORKS! The water may be hotter
    than you can tolerate. A means of keeping the hose in place on the roof is necessay, but can be
    easily contrived.

Of course I cannot vouch for it's efficacy during the winter!. YMMV.

Grim
    Last edited by Grim Reality; 11-08-2015 at 07:02 PM.
    Maine-Marine and 8301 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Maine-Marine View Post
    If you have a local junk yard you can pull the smaller back up lights from vehicles or depending on cost the interior dome lights for use with your solar set up.. they are already 12 volt

check with your local battery store and see if they have any "good" deep cell batteries... they usually pay 20¢ a pound back to the customer for a core charge.. see if you can pick them up for 25¢ ($7 could net you a 55 Amp Hour Bat)

Ebay has some great deals on LED Lights
    If you look for a motor home in a junk yard you can find a lit of good 12 LED lights that were in the interior.
    Maine-Marine and Renec like this.
    KG7NDC

The only thing that separates man from animal is our affinity for toilet paper.
    Once we as a society lose that affinity we begin to descend back into the animal kingdom, and after three or more days you will find the food chain beginning to invert on itself.

We've got a bank of Odyssey batteries in the house to power the non-vintage ham gear. In addition to keeping the TS2000X and shack lights alive, we also ran a 12 volt bus, using 4 ga wire, the length of the house.
    This powers several RV LED light fixtures mounted in the hallway and each room, external motion sensing LED floodlights and security cameras.

We use Anderson PowerPole connectors throughout the system... easy to work with and reliable.

The batteries were the only real expensive part of the system, but as MM suggested, your local battery shop might have some used SLA/AGM batteries available for cheap money.
    Maine-Marine, GTGallop and Renec like this.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    -- The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security --
    ---------------------------------------------------------------

Maine, that is a very cool concept. It saves the whole hassle of converting to house power for something so essential. All you have to do is figure out how to charge a car battery (or a UPS battery) and thats easy enough.

For my b-day i am getting a small inverter and a folding 10w solar cell. Hook them all to a UPS battery and i have a portable, renewable power source that will charge a laptop or run my vaporizer along the trail. Slight weight penalty, but then my pack always weighs in around 80 lbs or more (100 when we are not going to be on a water source).
    Renec likes this.

Banned

http://www.banggood.com/buy/white-led-strip.html

You might want to buy these strips by the roll. They can be cut into strips of 3 leds or keep the entire roll as 1 piece. They take 12V.

At $10, your time might be better spent prepping something else instead of roaming a junk yard looking for leds.

Banned

I'm installing some under my kitchen cupboards and all of my closets, but the prepper in me hasn't missed the possibilities

Sponsored Links