Solar Generator: Inergy Flex...and Go!
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Solar Generator: Inergy Flex...and Go! within the Alternative Energy (Wind, Solar, Hydro etc) forums, part of the Off-Grid Lifestyle category; Looking for people’s thoughts on the Inergy Flex system. I was initially looking into a complete home solar system with roof panels, etc..but this was ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Solar Generator: Inergy Flex...and Go!

Looking for people’s thoughts on the Inergy Flex system. I was initially looking into a complete home solar system with roof panels, etc..but this was not going to give me much in the way of SHTF off grid power... the solar companies told me to get a gas generator for emergencies and grid down situations. The roof systems did have battery backup options, at nearly 10k more cost... and a gas generator was going to run me around $1k...

So, I have paused my roof solar install plans, and thought about just getting a generator of sorts... this caused me to watch some YouTube videos on solar generators. Inergy came up in a lot of these videos, but mainly for their now discontinued Apex generator. When I looked into buying one of those, the Flex looked to be my only option.. however, there seems to be quite a bit of buzz about these, “game changing” buzz.... People seem to be very excited about these, and the expansion ability.

Cost seems to be $1350 for a basic setup, and extra batteries are around $450. Unfortunately a major issue for me is they aren’t even going to ship them until after Jan 1 (available on pre-order now). So if the election causes SHTF scenarios, Jan 1 might not be much help (but that could be a tad overly paranoid).

That pricing doesn’t include solar panels, and I think their general 100w panels are around $130. If I went with the Flex, I think I’d need a few panels, but this solar thing (And off grid emergency planning) is new to me. How many panels would people recommend, and do ppl have particular panel options or brands they’d suggest?

What are you trying to power? Lights, refrigerator, freezer, or all three?

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefster23 View Post
    What are you trying to power? Lights, refrigerator, freezer, or all three?
    I don’t know what I don’t know, but yes a fridge, lighting (minimal), and to charge essential items like flashlights and portable radios. Maybe a hot plate for cooking? And potentially some power tools that I imagine would be used to shore up home fortifications?

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Trihonda View Post
    Looking for people’s thoughts on the Inergy Flex system. I was initially looking into a complete home solar system with roof panels, etc..but this was not going to give me much in the way of SHTF off grid power... the solar companies told me to get a gas generator for emergencies and grid down situations. The roof systems did have battery backup options, at nearly 10k more cost... and a gas generator was going to run me around $1k...

So, I have paused my roof solar install plans, and thought about just getting a generator of sorts... this caused me to watch some YouTube videos on solar generators. Inergy came up in a lot of these videos, but mainly for their now discontinued Apex generator. When I looked into buying one of those, the Flex looked to be my only option.. however, there seems to be quite a bit of buzz about these, “game changing” buzz.... People seem to be very excited about these, and the expansion ability.

Cost seems to be $1350 for a basic setup, and extra batteries are around $450. Unfortunately a major issue for me is they aren’t even going to ship them until after Jan 1 (available on pre-order now). So if the election causes SHTF scenarios, Jan 1 might not be much help (but that could be a tad overly paranoid).

That pricing doesn’t include solar panels, and I think their general 100w panels are around $130. If I went with the Flex, I think I’d need a few panels, but this solar thing (And off grid emergency planning) is new to me. How many panels would people recommend, and do ppl have particular panel options or brands they’d suggest?

Trihonda,

Universal Truth; Backup and Emergency power ain't cheap!

From my limited research, Grid Tie Systems benefit no one but the power companies.

Off Grid Systems are expensive but potentially, so is the cost of no power when you need it.

My plan is a hybrid plan, pardon the pun!

1.) 2 Gas/LP Generators (both inverter and non inverter)
    2.) Limited Solar with battery for lighting in barn and outbuildings as well as some solar panels for charging phone, tablet, laptop etc.
    3.) LP Gas Appliances for Cooking and Heat
    And finally

4.) An Off Grid System of Solar Panels and Batteries where the Panels are Ground Mounted in a mini-Solar Field behind my Garage/Carport. Ground mounted, rather than Roof Mounted allows for easy maintenance. This old boy does not do roofs anymore! Hopefully, I will be able to afford enough batteries to power most of my house, probably not the AC.

I've got the first 3, and saving my pennies for #4!
    Last edited by Slippy; 09-22-2020 at 05:33 AM.
    Wryter and inceptor like this.

Trihonda,
    While obviously I don't have the Flex, I do have the Inergy Apex so based off of that and what I have kept up with in regards to the new Inergy products here's my personal opinion:
    In terms of number of solar panels, we started with 3 and upped it to the max of 5 x 100 watt panels the Apex can take this summer. While the 3 worked perfectly for good days, our climate in Nova Scotia during winter is heavy on the number of low light days so we are hoping the extra 2 will help a lot.

The ability to add up to 96 extra batteries (I think it's 96?)is now a game changer because the single unit of 1500 watts has some limitations no matter their advertising.
    It is brilliant for lights (LED) charging phones etc etc what it's not good at is the heavy draw appliances.
    For example it will certainly run that hot plate you mentioned, it's how long you will be able to run it for is the question. For example only on bright sunny days do I use a toaster which can't be all that different to a hot plate. That toaster has a pull of 600 watts which in terms of preserving battery is a no go.
    It should be noted that we could extend with lead acid batteries but their quality compared to lithium ion is just not worth it so we are waiting for these extension batteries from Inergy.

You would probably need the Flex and 3 extra batteries to happily run a refrigerator and other appliances without constantly hovering over the battery level.

We use the Apex mostly for more delicate electronics and lighting.
    Slippy and Denton like this.

Forget the hotplate, you can't do that kind of a load with that.

Get yourself a propane stove to cook with.

Hotplate will draw about half of what a hot water heater will.

All depends on whether you want to supplement your power from the grid or go completely off-grid. You first (in my opinion) need to assess your electrical demand. I designed my off-grid system different than most. I live rather simply; so I use all my heavy demand appliances such as my water heater and dish washer before dusk this way I save $$$'s on my batteries. The following info should get you off to a start to plan your electric demand/usage:

Solar Generator: Inergy Flex...and Go!-image-9-22-20-7.00-pmedt.jpeg
    Slippy, Denton, Wryter and 1 others like this.
    There’s never a wrong time to do the right thing … there’s never a right time to do the wrong thing.

Quote Originally Posted by 0rocky View Post
    All depends on whether you want to supplement your power from the grid or go completely off-grid. You first (in my opinion) need to assess your electrical demand. I designed my off-grid system different than most. I live rather simply; so I use all my heavy demand appliances such as my water heater and dish washer before dusk this way I save $$$'s on my batteries. The following info should get you off to a start to plan your electric demand/usage:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image 9-22-20 at 7.00 PMEDT.jpeg 
Views:	14 
Size:	120.6 KB 
ID:	108453
    Excellent 0rocky!
    0rocky and inceptor like this.

Thank you sir. @Slippy
    Slippy likes this.
    There’s never a wrong time to do the right thing … there’s never a right time to do the wrong thing.

So it's a 30-40 amp PMW charge controller (maybe $80) and a PSW inverter (about $400 for a good one) and a 89 amp/hr lithium ion battery($400) in a box with a lot of extra outlets.

While I know nothing about it's reliability it's not the worst priced solar power box that I've ever seen. But with it's 500 watts in solar panels limit you don't want more than about 4 of those 89 amp/hr batteries to assure proper charging.
    Michael_Js likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links