Converting a car engine into a generator
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Converting a car engine into a generator within the Alternative Energy (Wind, Solar, Hydro etc) forums, part of the Off-Grid Lifestyle category; Has anyone ever heard of this? The power's out here in my neighborhood. There's a guy who is using a car to generate power in ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Converting a car engine into a generator

Super Moderator

Has anyone ever heard of this? The power's out here in my neighborhood. There's a guy who is using a car to generate power in his home. The car is in his backyard and was kept running all night. Pretty cool.

Sent from my SM-S337TL using Tapatalk
    Michael_Js and Denton like this.
    Let us use the time as best we may.

The only thoughts I can add is first you can charge a 12 Volt battery (not the car battery) while driving the car in normal use. The car generator creates more power than is needed to recharge the car battery. Just requires a cable to run from the car battery to a battery on the floor of the car.

My biggest concern is that cars are not designed to idle forever and will consume an awful lot of gas. Better to purchase a generator.
    Our Survival Group Website: Hidden Content

They have been doing from the days cars were first invented and using them to pump water also. The also take 6 or 8 cly engine and use half the cyl to made a compressor out of them.
    AquaHull and Slippy like this.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

He was probably running an inverter with it, a waste of gas!

The storm here three days ago took out the power for 11 hours.

I ran the propane genset for 10 of that time, used hardly any fuel at all, gauge hardly moved.

Ran it to keep the freezers cold nothing else, was a good time to get some rest, which I did.

Did listen to Rush in the afternoon.
    Mad Trapper, 0rocky, Annie and 1 others like this.

Yep, he was running an inverter. You can buy one at Harbor Freight cheap. But as Socom said..... a huge waster of fuel. These car inverters produce little output and that car engine is sucking down a lot of gas.
    inceptor and Slippy like this.

Until he gets a proper generator, it will work fine. Some cars idle pretty well and can get fairly decent fuel consumption.. Just depends on vehicle.
    Anonymous — 'Beware the quiet man. For while others speak, he watched. And while others act, he plans. And when they finally rest… he strikes.'

The Good Cop

After Irma roared through, wife was home alone with the animals and no electricity.
    I was in Kansas City.
    She parked her diesel Silverado right outside the dining room window, plugged an inverter into the cigarette lighter, ran a power cord thru the window. She ran a small fan, a light, and the WiFi modem.

She didn’t have to leave the truck running to do this. Remember, diesel trucks have two batteries.
    2 days later I was back home and got the generator in service.

She asked, and I showed her, how to get the generator started, how to fuel it, how to run extension cords to the house, etc.
    0rocky, Slippy, inceptor and 1 others like this.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

It also depends on the size of the alternator he has in that vehicle.

If he moseyed down to the local truck parts store . . . he could have gotten a huge one for tractor trailers . . . built a bracket . . . and be pumping out almost 400 amps . . .

If he hooked up 2 . . . he could be knocking down almost 7000 watts at 120 volts . . . and his car engine would hardly be above an idle.

May God bless,
    Dwight
    If you can breathe, . . . thank God.

If you can read, . . . thank a teacher.

If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a veteran.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

There are some pretty economical tractor PTO driven generators but its my understanding that the power generated is not "clean" power and can damage some appliances/equipment. But Diesel Engines are great "idlers".

If someone could verify this I'd appreciate it but I looked into a PTO generator a few years back and decided against it for home use.
    SOCOM42 likes this.

Apparently you can find some PTO generators that have brushless alternators that provide clean energy that sensitive equipment can use safely.

For about 2 grand you can get a pretty powerful setup for your tractor. I'll need to do more research but it my be worth it to look into this method.

https://www.powerequipmentdirect.com...OS/p12098.html

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links