Noob generator question please advise
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Noob generator question please advise within the Alternative Energy (Wind, Solar, Hydro etc) forums, part of the Off-Grid Lifestyle category; So I've been lazy and one of those people who always thought ohhh things will never get that bad the stores will be open etc ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Noob generator question please advise

So I've been lazy and one of those people who always thought ohhh things will never get that bad the stores will be open etc etc. The recent events have become a huge eye opener for me especially the way I see our society act. I live in a small apartment in San Diego, I want to run out and buy a goal zero solar powered generator it's the yeti 1250. It's used at a pawn shop I know zero about solar generators or generators in general. The guy wants $450 for it, my question is will this generator with solar panels keep my refrigerator running if the power goes out for an extended amount of time ? In my mind I think it prob keeps the fridge going for 12 hrs then I charge it some more with the panels and just go back and forth like that ?? My goal is to be able to survive without leaving for 30 days in my apt. Will someone please advise if the yeti gold zero solar generators are the way to go they are so expensive but I want something that performs. Thank you

Unless your fridge is either very small or has an inverter based compressor the Yetti 1250 probably can't handle the compressor's start up surge.

Check the label inside the fridge for the watts is uses; multiply times 3, so if it says 1000 watts, it will probably take 3000 watts to start the motor.
    So you would need a 3000 watt solar gen. Possibly even more, maybe a little less. If it says 1000 watts, that means for every one hour of run time, it will consume 1000 watts. So if it runs for 10 minutes then shuts of for 20 minutes before starting again, it will consume 333.3 watts per hour, times 24 hours.
    You need to find the watts, and find out how many minute it actually runs and haw many off minutes and do the math.
    If the label gives amps multiple times 120 for the watts. My side by side fridge say 11.6 amps = 1392 watts consummed every running hour.
    Start up "surge" draw is the biggest part of running things like fridges or air compressors because they take a lot to start up.
    If the 1250 is the watts it can put out, it probably won't work for a normal size fridge.
    You would need a fridge that says 350 watts or so (about 3 amps)
    Hope this does mess you up!
    I really want one of these!Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

I took a pic of the label but I don't understand and how do I post the pic of the label ?

Quote Originally Posted by Wizzard View Post
    ...My goal is to be able to survive without leaving for 30 days in my apt. ...
    Any fridge big enough to hold 30 days worth of perishables probably pulls a lot of juice.
    Plan B: Survive without electricity if it comes to that.
    Do you have some canned goods on hand that dont require cooking? (And a hand can-opener?)
    $450 / 30 days = $1.50 day. Dunno how you feel about canned tuna, but it will keep you alive.
    Get the kind packed in oil; your body needs the fats.
    Good luck, Wizzard.
    BRING ALL TROOPS HOME NOW.

I'm good on sardines nut butter beef jerky etc etc but I have a wife and child and a decent stock of frozen meat that I don't want to go bad

I think my fridge is 780 watts but I can't figure out how to post a pic of the label to make sure I'm right how do u post pics please

Quote Originally Posted by Wizzard View Post
    I'm good on sardines nut butter beef jerky etc etc but I have a wife and child and a decent stock of frozen meat that I don't want to go bad
    Ok.
    Forget about posting the pic - just type out what the fridge label says. ____watts _____amps
    Smitty901 likes this.

This might be helpful
    (I haven't watched it)

Smitty901, 0rocky and Prepared One like this.

Amana full load amp 6.5 60hz/1 phase/115v Model a8rxngfxd01

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links