Input Needed For Solar Setup - Page 3
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Input Needed For Solar Setup

This is a discussion on Input Needed For Solar Setup within the Alternative Energy (Wind, Solar, Hydro etc) forums, part of the Off-Grid Lifestyle category; Originally Posted by dwight55 Maine Marine, . . . straight up, . . . that is a crock. Solar panels that most of us buy ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Input Needed For Solar Setup

Quote Originally Posted by dwight55 View Post
    Maine Marine, . . . straight up, . . . that is a crock.

Solar panels that most of us buy are 12 v DC output, . . . your diagram for one solar panel will only drop 2 VDC over each battery, . . . which will in essence do nothing.

NOW IF, . . . in the first diagram, . . . you also have 6 solar panels hooked up in series, . . . then it will work, . . . as you will drop 12 VDC across each battery.

The second diagram applies IF YOU ONLY HAVE ONE SOLAR PANEL, . . . OR THEY ARE ALL HOOKED IN PARALLEL, . . . and the charging voltage (generally about 13.5 VDC) goes to the total bank of batteries, . . . the battery that is lowest in voltage will take the most current at first, . . . until they are all leveled off at an equal voltage.

And yes, . . . I've only been doing electrical work, . . . successfully, . . . since 1963.

May God bless,
    Dwight
    you can have 50 solar panels.. I have to assume they are all hooked to ONE charge controller... !!!!! which then connects to the batteries + - right????
    Be a Berean

Quote Originally Posted by Maine-Marine View Post
    you can have 50 solar panels.. I have to assume they are all hooked to ONE charge controller... !!!!! which then connects to the batteries + - right????
    Only if the charge controller is adequate to handle the power produced by 50 panels. Personally, . . . I want a charge controller for each panel, . . . can be more expensive that way, . . . but if you lose one panel, . . . or one charger, . . . you don't cripple the whole system. A 24 volt charger down, cripples two panels, . . . a 48 volt charger down, . . . cripples 4 panels. One panel down can cripple a 24 volt or 48 volt controller . . . and either way, . . . the whole array suffers.

Panels, . . . controllers, . . . and batteries all need to be "sized" in relation to each other. The only floater in the equation is the batteries. AND that is only within certain guidelines.

You should not have such a battery load that only a bright sunny 12 hour day will charge them all, . . . and you don't want so small a battery load that you run out of juice before 9PM.

Each system needs to take into consideration what is needed at the installation. My wife and I are alone in the house, . . . so something that will power a TV for her, my computer, . . . and give us and outlet or two for charging our cell phones is plenty. I have it sized big enough for everything but the freezer, fridge, and stove. We have a generator for those, . . . and will only be used on a necessary basis.

Lights are powered from the inverter as well, . . . so we look normal to outsiders who drive by when everyone else has no electricity.

May God bless,
    Dwight
    If you can breathe, . . . thank God.

If you can read, . . . thank a teacher.

If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a veteran.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Lights are powered from the inverter as well, . . . so we look normal to outsiders who drive by when everyone else has no electricity.
    Wouldn't that look the opposite of normal? If everyone else has no electricity, but you have lights, you'll stand out like a sore thumb...

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Only if the charge controller is adequate to handle the power produced by 50 panels. Personally, . . . I want a charge controller for each panel, . . . can be more expensive that way, . . . but if you lose one panel, . . . or one charger, . . . you don't cripple the whole system. A 24 volt charger down, cripples two panels, . . . a 48 volt charger down, . . . cripples 4 panels. One panel down can cripple a 24 volt or 48 volt controller . . . and either way, . . . the whole array suffers.

Panels, . . . controllers, . . . and batteries all need to be "sized" in relation to each other. The only floater in the equation is the batteries. AND that is only within certain guidelines.

You should not have such a battery load that only a bright sunny 12 hour day will charge them all, . . . and you don't want so small a battery load that you run out of juice before 9PM.

Each system needs to take into consideration what is needed at the installation. My wife and I are alone in the house, . . . so something that will power a TV for her, my computer, . . . and give us and outlet or two for charging our cell phones is plenty. I have it sized big enough for everything but the freezer, fridge, and stove. We have a generator for those, . . . and will only be used on a necessary basis.

May God bless,
    Dwight
    I was using hyperbole when i mentioned 50 panels.

as to 1 panel down crippling the system... yes it you are putting the panels in series.. no if they are all connected to one controller

if you are using 12 volt panels and a 12 volt controller how are you connecting to the batteries if they are set up for 24 or 48 volt???? I am confused!

frankly it is better (IMHO) to have a spare controller and have the panels in parallel
    Be a Berean

Here are a couple videos from others showing successful . . . small . . . installations:

Battery Bank Design Tool for wiring battery banks

May God bless,
    Dwight
    Holy crap... did you watch that video!? So many wrongs... my head hurts just thinking about it!

For starters, that interconnect between the panels and the feed line in! He took a half dozen ring connectors and just twisted a stranded wire trough the rings and then back around itself. No worries though, because he's going to wrap it with electrical tape to protect it from rain...

Then he has the two flooded, lead-acid batteries being charged indoors and sitting directly on carpet no less. So when those things vent, which they will, everything within a foot radius will be eaten by acid, including the carpet!

Could he have found a larger, more inefficient voltmeter to run on that setup? Hell, that thing'll probably use half the juice he's creating just to measure the batteries.

Wow... just wow... Some people should not be allowed to teach others anything, ever...

Quote Originally Posted by Maine-Marine View Post
    I was using hyperbole when i mentioned 50 panels.

as to 1 panel down crippling the system... yes it you are putting the panels in series.. no if they are all connected to one controller

if you are using 12 volt panels and a 12 volt controller how are you connecting to the batteries if they are set up for 24 or 48 volt???? I am confused!

frankly it is better (IMHO) to have a spare controller and have the panels in parallel
    The simple answer is you set your panels up for 12 volts, . . . hook the batteries up as well for 12 volts. That is the way my system works, . . .

The really important thing IMHO about the different ways one can array the system, . . . 12 volts can be handled with bare hands, . . . don't have to worry about being shocked or worse.

Of course that is true going up somewhat higher, . . . but it is a comfort zone for me, . . . and I don't have to wonder where I am voltage and current wise.

I have not gotten around to doing it, . . . but when I do, . . . my system will also have a 12 volt light in the room which can be automatically turned on when the power drops, . . . so entering the room, . . . I'm not "in the dark" so to speak. Just one of those upgrades I have not had time to accomplish.

Mine is set up so I have to manually disconnect the main power, . . . manually engage the battery backup. It is simple and effective.

May God bless,
    Dwight
    Chiefster23 and Michael_Js like this.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

I built a 12 volt system. If I could get a do-over, I would go with 24 volts.
    dwight55 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefster23 View Post
    I built a 12 volt system. If I could get a do-over, I would go with 24 volts.
    Well, . . . other than money, . . . what's stopping you??

That is the question I keep asking myself these days when I'm so bored.

Lots of projects I can think of, . . . but with not knowing where what is going, . . . just not ready to spend the bucks.

Best wishes on whatever you decide to do.

How big is your array (how many panels, . . . how many batteries, . . . etc.??)

May God bless,
    Dwight

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

My charge controller will do either 12 or 24 so no problem. But my OUTBACK 12 volt inverter is the big expense that is stopping me. I’ve already invested in all the larger cable sizes required for 12 volts. So I guess I stick with 12 until it’s time for a new inverter.

Right now I have 1000 watts of panels and a 2000 watt inverter. 615 amp-hrs of batteries but soon that will change to 700 amp-hrs. I’m also planing to install a couple of additional panels to use in the winter when there is less available sunlight.
    Last edited by Chiefster23; 03-29-2020 at 11:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    That's a great idea. There's a future for solar energy.

Here's to you Mrs Robinson!
    rest in peace Corporal Bradley Coy 06/08/92-10/24/14

Rest in Peace Sgt Mackie. 10/19/19

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links