Question for MountainGirl - Page 3
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Question for MountainGirl

This is a discussion on Question for MountainGirl within the Alternative Energy (Wind, Solar, Hydro etc) forums, part of the Off-Grid Lifestyle category; Originally Posted by MountainGirl Ok, forget everything I said about rails. The inner side flanges of each panel have factory mounting holes, spaced here and ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Question for MountainGirl

Quote Originally Posted by MountainGirl View Post
    Ok, forget everything I said about rails.

The inner side flanges of each panel have factory mounting holes, spaced here and there, for different racks used in different applications. I recall now, while designing the structure, asking if there were any requirements for the 2x6s; there were. The tops needed to be exactly 41" apart from each other. Ah, right. To line up with the panel's holes. The panels were mounted with L brackets and bolts. The close-up pic shows how. Each panel is bolted in 4 places: on the edges, 2 near the top, 2 very near the bottom

Farthest west edge, also shows ground wire
    Attachment 103795

Two panels bolted side by side to the 2x6
    Attachment 103797

Close up
    Attachment 103799

This shows two panels, bolted to the top and bottom 2x6s
    Attachment 103801
    Thanks for the pics, makes things look a bit easier. On the first three pics it looks like a solid copper wire under the L brackets. is that for grounding

thanks again

al

Quote Originally Posted by Elvis View Post
    While not the same brand Lay In Lug I used to bond my panels these are the same type of connectors I used.
    https://www.elecdirect.com/lug-compr...ing-connectors
    thanks for this

how are these connected to the panel and are they connected to all the panels or just first and last

al

Quote Originally Posted by agmccall View Post
    Thanks for the pics, makes things look a bit easier. On the first three pics it looks like a solid copper wire under the L brackets. is that for grounding

thanks again

al
    It is for grounding...but mostly it's so we'll feel better about it maybe being grounded.
    There's no way to pound in a grounding rod up there; that part of the mountain is a solid granite knob; deepest 'dirt' on top is under 12".
    I either don't recall (or never knew) what that copper wire is attached to. It might be Tom ran it down to where a rod could be driven in.. but that would be at least a 200' run, so likely not.
    Vanished, into the mist.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

@agmccall

Attachment 103785

Hi Al -
    Yes, we used deck piers like the one in your post, on the surface and not attached to the ground in any manner. That spot is basically a granite knob, and rather than attaching it to the ground we designed the structure with a very wide base to hold up against the wind...with the hopes that if they were 'blown' they'd scoot backwards a bit, where there's still some level ground.
    Take advantage of the granite below, drill into the granite and insert anchor bolts to secure the structure. Hoping the wind won't blow them away is asking for trouble.
    Semper ubi sub ubi

Quote Originally Posted by agmccall View Post
    thanks for this

how are these connected to the panel and are they connected to all the panels or just first and last

al
    Use a small stainless steel or copper bolt and nut to connect the lug through the hole to the back of each panel frame. Then run a bare 10 ga or larger wire through the lugs and to your ground rod.

Quote Originally Posted by NKAWTG View Post
    Take advantage of the granite below, drill into the granite and insert anchor bolts to secure the structure. Hoping the wind won't blow them away is asking for trouble.
    We like trouble; gives us something to do.

Your suggestion is the plan if it's ever needed. Over the last three years the array has not moved at all; summer winds hit the face occasionally at 25-30mph, had one head-on gust in a big storm clocked at 70. We checked it the next day, all good. Thanks for your reply!
    Vanished, into the mist.

Quote Originally Posted by Elvis View Post
    Use a small stainless steel or copper bolt and nut to connect the lug through the hole to the back of each panel frame. Then run a bare 10 ga or larger wire through the lugs and to your ground rod.
    Any suggestions for grounding when you cant drive in a ground rod?
    Vanished, into the mist.

Usually they want you to drive a ground rod down far enough to hit damp soil. If you only have 12 inches of dirt above the bedrock, you aren’t going to have damp soil most of the time. Maybe bury a long copper pipe or long section of copper wire as deep as possible. How long? I don’t know but I would think longer is better. Maybe 100 feet or so?
    MountainGirl likes this.

Any suggestions for grounding when you cant drive in a ground rod?
    I've read up on that problem on two solar forums in the past. No good solution but the best suggestion is to bury the ground wire as deep as practical for a long distance. If you can get the ground wire buried at least 8-10 inches deep for 20' long it will be a huge help to spread the charge out. Deeper is better but sometimes not possible.
    MountainGirl likes this.

Do you have a copper pipe supplying water from your well to your home? You can ground to that. Maybe even ground to the well casing pipe.
    MountainGirl likes this.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links