Solar Project for the Barn; Input Needed! - Page 3
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Solar Project for the Barn; Input Needed!

This is a discussion on Solar Project for the Barn; Input Needed! within the Alternative Energy (Wind, Solar, Hydro etc) forums, part of the Off-Grid Lifestyle category; Originally Posted by Crunch Yep, do the math, you can't fool physics I killed 8 Trojan T-105's trying to do that, basically. The first bank ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree50Likes

Thread: Solar Project for the Barn; Input Needed!

Quote Originally Posted by Crunch View Post
    Yep, do the math, you can't fool physics

I killed 8 Trojan T-105's trying to do that, basically. The first bank of 4 (2 in series for 12v, and a second string in parallel) inside two years at the BOL, and the next bank of 4 I got over the learning curve a bit, and got about 4 years use out of that bank. Who knew that a little 12" 72w oscillating fan running 24 hours a day needed almost 2 kilowatts a day?!? (lol). Drawing too much too often, taking them below 50% charge too much, took years off their life.

A battery bank is only as good as the worst battery in it (the worst one drags the others down to it's level), so adding new batteries to a bank with older ones usually isn't recommended. I guess I am basing this more on an off-grid home type solution and not so much on a barn/garage. But still, my suggestion would be to live within the constraints of the size system that you buy/build to get the max life, or be prepared to replace the batteries a lot more frequently.
    Ouch, losing your bank twice!

If/when we need to replace ours.. we might just go back to a primitive lifestyle.

Did you see the thread I just bumped up?

https://www.prepperforums.net/forum/alternative-energy-wind-solar-hydro-etc/90673-our-off-grid-system-life.html
    Slippy likes this.
    BRING ALL TROOPS HOME NOW.

Quote Originally Posted by MountainGirl View Post
    Ouch, losing your bank twice!

If/when we need to replace ours.. we might just go back to a primitive lifestyle.

Did you see the thread I just bumped up?

https://www.prepperforums.net/forum/alternative-energy-wind-solar-hydro-etc/90673-our-off-grid-system-life.html
    Yes on both, 2 banks killed (BOL) and I did see your post. Hadn't seen it before, will definitely be reading but the dinner bell is ringing so likely tomorrow. Those are Rolls/Surrette batts right? Great minds again

Slippy and MountainGirl like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Crunch View Post
    Yes on both, 2 banks killed (BOL) and I did see your post. Hadn't seen it before, will definitely be reading but the dinner bell is ringing so likely tomorrow. Those are Rolls/Surrette batts right? Great minds again

Yeppers & expensive little puppies they are LOL
    Spent the last of our money on the deep well hand pump.
    Wont live without water.
    Enjoy your dinner!
    Slippy, RubberDuck and Crunch like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by MountainGirl View Post
    Yeppers & expensive little puppies they are LOL
    Spent the last of our money on the deep well hand pump.
    Wont live without water.
    Enjoy your dinner!
    What do you have for a deep well hand pump and how deep is it good for?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by RubberDuck View Post
    What do you have for a deep well hand pump and how deep is it good for?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    I went with the Baker. It's good to 200'.

Name:  pump.jpg
Views: 18
Size:  10.4 KB

https://www.axmen.com/baker-deep-well-hand-pump-w-syphon-spout-11hd.html

The well is drilled to just over 200', pumphead on the hand system is at 180', the pipe runs down the same casing along side the main system's pipe <-the main's pumphead is at 190'.

Our static level is around 45-47'..so the pumping isn't too hard; it takes about 5 good pulls to get the flow coming.
    Last edited by MountainGirl; 02-08-2020 at 06:59 PM.
    RubberDuck likes this.

deleted
    Last edited by Elvis; 02-08-2020 at 07:54 PM.
    MountainGirl likes this.

Damn, Looks like Mountain Girl and Crunch have some serious muscles. Those Rolls 6 CS batteries weigh 342 lbs each. Heck of a job lifting those onto a shelf.
    Last edited by Elvis; 02-08-2020 at 07:52 PM.
    MountainGirl and Crunch like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Elvis View Post
    Damn, Looks like Mountain Girl and Crunch have some serious muscles. Those Rolls 6 CS batteries weigh 342 lbs each. Heck of a job lifting those onto a shelf.
    Took two big men to place them...but I built the rack. Used 4x4 posts throughout; figured we needed something beefy to hold over two ton of amps LOL. I put extra bracing under the floor in that area, too. So far nothings moved.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Sponsored Links